ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 10 of 13
« First < 678910 111213 >
Media Center>Gaming Computer Build
Rukdafaidas 09:35 AM 01-28-2021
As mentioned in the video card thread, my son is getting ready to build his first computer. He has an online buddy that he games with that builds his own PC's and he has given him a list of components that he recommended he use. He's spending his own money on this and I wanted to make sure he gets good components and that they're compatible.

Component List:
Ryzen 5 5600
MSI Geforce 3060 TI TRIO 8GB
MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus ATX AM4 motherboard
G SKill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2x8GB) DDR 3600 CL18 memory
Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200 RPM Internal HD
Samsung 970 EVO 500 GB M.2-2280 EVME SSD
Fractal Design Ion+ 560W 80+ ATX Power Supply

Does this look like a good setup? Any concerns or ideas? He mostly plays CS:GO and I realize this gaming card is probably overkill for that game, but he also plays wants to play games that require a better GPU. He basically wants to build a system that will play any game that's currently out there. He also wants something that can be easily upgraded in the future, when needed.

We haven't begun to look at cases or monitors. I think the case will depend on which graphics card we end up finding. I know the MSI Trio that was suggested is huge, but we can get a smaller case if we get a 2 fan version. Any suggestions on monitors as far as hertz and resolution? He doesn't need anything very big, he's going to be sitting right in front of it.
[Reply]
kcxiv 04:24 PM 03-26-2021
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
Well, new power supply, same exact results: The Red LED light labeled CPU on the motherboard is lit again. All of the fans power up but it still doesn't get to the BIOS, just a blank screen.

I just tried calling Gigabyte support but they're not open today. Amazon won't have any replacement motherboards until April 14th, so I think I'm hosed until then because unless I improperly seated the i9, which I've checked twice so far, the motherboard is bunk.

Thoughts? Thanks again in advance!
you try to reset the battery on the motherboard?
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 04:28 PM 03-26-2021
Originally Posted by kcxiv:
you try to reset the battery on the motherboard?
Yes. I found a package of 2032's and tried a couple of different batteries but I still get the same result. There are two connectors on the board for CPU fan and I tried both because I read that if the board can't detect the CPU fan, it won't boot.

I'm really stumped. I just don't see how it's not the motherboard, unless I received a faulty chip which would be the first time ever for me in 24 years.
[Reply]
Otter 04:32 PM 03-26-2021
Well, new power supply, same exact results: The Red LED light labeled CPU on the motherboard is lit again. All of the fans power up but it still doesn't get to the BIOS, just a blank screen.

I just tried calling Gigabyte support but they're not open today. Amazon won't have any replacement motherboards until April 14th, so I think I'm hosed until then because unless I improperly seated the i9, which I've checked twice so far, the motherboard is bunk.

Thoughts? Thanks again in advance!
There's usually jumpers on a MOBO that allow you to reboot. Have you tried that yet?

[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 04:33 PM 03-26-2021
Originally Posted by Otter:
There's usually jumpers on a MOBO that allow you to reboot. Have you tried that yet?
I haven't tried that yet but I'll find it on the board and give it shot. The Gigabyte tech was absolutely convinced it was the power supply on Wednesday but clearly, she was wrong.

Thanks!
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 03-26-2021, 04:42 PM
This message has been deleted by DaneMcCloud.
DaneMcCloud 04:52 PM 03-26-2021
I just removed the battery and let it sit for 5 minutes, then touched the positive and negative on the CMOS to reset but as soon as I hit the power button on the case, the red LED lights up.

I just verified that the CPU is lined up properly with the motherboard (there is an arrow at the bottom corner of the chip that aligns with an arrow on the board) but again, as soon as I boot, the red CPU LED is lit.

The Noctua D15s is mounted to the board as tightly as it can be without breaking it, so the connection there is good and once again, all of the fans, including the CPU fan are spinning. It just doesn't find the CPU.

Should I exchange both the motherboard and chip to be safe? This is just so bizarre.
[Reply]
kcxiv 07:22 PM 03-27-2021
I just removed the battery and let it sit for 5 minutes, then touched the positive and negative on the CMOS to reset but as soon as I hit the power button on the case, the red LED lights up.

I just verified that the CPU is lined up properly with the motherboard (there is an arrow at the bottom corner of the chip that aligns with an arrow on the board) but again, as soon as I boot, the red CPU LED is lit.

The Noctua D15s is mounted to the board as tightly as it can be without breaking it, so the connection there is good and once again, all of the fans, including the CPU fan are spinning. It just doesn't find the CPU.

Should I exchange both the motherboard and chip to be safe? This is just so bizarre.
may as well. You are going to have to wait regardless, might as well just exchange them both.
[Reply]
Fish 08:37 PM 03-27-2021

Man, I wish I had some decent advice. But those symptoms are just weird.

Clearly your mobo is getting power, since you have lights on the mobo LEDs. The fact that the CPU PW LED is red makes me question the CPU more than the mobo or PS. The fact that the mobo is trying to tell you that the CPU isn't getting power is significant. But doesn't really guarantee that the problem is with the CPU. But that's probably the first thing I would suspect. Usually when a mobo goes bad, it will just briefly boot and then all power dies like you pulled the power cord. But still, mobo issues can be really weird and random, so you can't completely rule that out. Just less likely.

I would probably try replacing the CPU first. If you have a local Micro Center or other store that sells CPUs, you can try one and if that's the fix you can return the bad one.

Late troubleshooting question, and probably not relevant, but are you sure you plugged in the additional 4port and 8port cables that go from the power supply to your motherboard? Like circled here:

PS to mobo connections:

[Reply]
Fishpicker 09:51 AM 03-28-2021

[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 11:39 AM 03-28-2021
Originally Posted by Fish:
Man, I wish I had some decent advice. But those symptoms are just weird.
Agreed. My experience with building over the past 24 years is that if the computer doesn't work immediately after plugging everything in and firing it up, no amount of tinkering or troubleshooting is going to fix it. While I had one power supply arrive DOA, every other issue has been a faulty motherboard.

I started a return on Amazon for the CPU on Friday, only to print out the label to see that the seller is less than 3 miles from my home, so I'm calling them tomorrow to see if I can run down to their shop to either test or exchange, rather than go through the mail. I'll be pleasantly surprised if its the CPU because the Gigabyte Z490 Vision D isn't available for purchase anywhere now, as Amazon must have sold out of their upcoming stock, so if it's the board, I have to figure out a new Z490 with TB3, at least two NVMe slots and 4 Ram slots, which seems to be a tall order.

As for the power on the board, yes, I plugged in the 24 pin, the 8 pin CPU (I originally had the 8 pin and 4 pin plugged in using the Thermaltake PSU but the Gigabyte Tech said the 4 pin wasn't necessary), along with the PCIe power. It's pretty simple, as their are only three main power sources.

So, it's either the CPU or the board. I should know at some point tomorrow and will be sure to post. Thanks again for your time!
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 01:33 PM 03-28-2021
How do you guys feel about ASUS boards today?

I built ASUS based computers from 1997-2014 but had issues with three consecutive motherboards. Two were DOA and one died about 18 months after purchase, so I've stuck with Gigabyte since . But the Z490 Vision D is sold out or 2 to 3 times the normal price so it looks like ASUS is my only option, as people do not recommend the MSI boards.

Anyone here have issues lately with ASUS? The closest is the ASUS ProArt Z490-CREATOR 10G.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B087YVMZ5K...v_ov_lig_dp_it
[Reply]
BryanBusby 02:14 PM 03-28-2021
ASUS can be hit/miss, but that really applies to all manufacturers.

Research model options you're looking at for a good picture.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 02:40 PM 03-28-2021
Originally Posted by BryanBusby:
ASUS can be hit/miss, but that really applies to all manufacturers.

Research model options you're looking at for a good picture.
Unfortunately, there just aren't a lot of available options right now for my specific audio PC needs.

The ASUS I linked has most of what I need, so I may just go that route and buy an extended warranty (blech) because it will be months before that Gigabyte board is available again.
[Reply]
BryanBusby 03:00 PM 03-28-2021
Unfortunately, there just aren't a lot of available options right now for my specific audio PC needs.

The ASUS I linked has most of what I need, so I may just go that route and buy an extended warranty (blech) because it will be months before that Gigabyte board is available again.
Yeah unfortunately it seems supply for a lot of things is going to take a long time to recover from the covid era.

What I usually do is google a particular model I am looking at and try to see anything that sticks out like warnings about shitty drivers, which usually is what will sink boards.

I did a quick one for the heck of it on that board and nothing looked to stick out.
[Reply]
vailpass 06:11 PM 03-28-2021
How do you guys feel about ASUS boards today?

I built ASUS based computers from 1997-2014 but had issues with three consecutive motherboards. Two were DOA and one died about 18 months after purchase, so I've stuck with Gigabyte since . But the Z490 Vision D is sold out or 2 to 3 times the normal price so it looks like ASUS is my only option, as people do not recommend the MSI boards.

Anyone here have issues lately with ASUS? The closest is the ASUS ProArt Z490-CREATOR 10G.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B087YVMZ5K...v_ov_lig_dp_it
FWIW. I used the ASUS - ROG STRIX Z490-E mobo on the build I did for my son a couple weeks ago and it’s roaring right along. I have no idea how this gaming mobo relates to your Creator type of board.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 03-29-2021, 02:05 PM
This message has been deleted by DaneMcCloud.
DaneMcCloud 02:28 PM 03-29-2021
Originally Posted by vailpass:
FWIW. I used the ASUS - ROG STRIX Z490-E mobo on the build I did for my son a couple weeks ago and it’s roaring right along. I have no idea how this gaming mobo relates to your Creator type of board.
Thanks, Dude! That's good to hear. Just got off with Gigabyte and it's dead, so I'm going to return it.

Thanks again to everyone for the help!
[Reply]
Page 10 of 13
« First < 678910 111213 >
Up