ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 4 of 6
< 1234 56 >
Media Center>Winning Time: The Rise of the Lakers Dynasty
siberian khatru 08:42 AM 12-10-2021
Are you ****ing kidding me? This looks fantastic, and I'm not even a Lakers fan. But I absolutely remember that team and those times.

[Reply]
ChiefsCountry 03:50 PM 04-18-2022
They Hollywooded that episode up. I had to look up at that road trip, not quite what really happened lol. Ironically the Christmas game they were in Kansas City.
[Reply]
KC_Connection 03:55 PM 04-18-2022
Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry:
They Hollywooded that episode up. I had to look up at that road trip, not quite what really happened lol. Ironically the Christmas game they were in Kansas City.
Yeah I did too. Was a 5 game road trip around New Year's that culminated in this win on the road at Boston:

https://www.basketball-reference.com...001130BOS.html

It would appear that Magic did virtually nothing that game and that Kareem completely dominated (as he often did in those days). Lakers also really were not struggling at the time either.
[Reply]
cosmo20002 05:13 PM 04-18-2022
Actually, they didn't play on Christmas.
And the road trip referenced took place in early to mid-January.
On the show, they played Indiana and lost, played Detroit and lost, and played Boston and won.

In reality, they WON all three of those games. And the Boston game on the show was hyped as the big re-match with Bird. In reality, they had played each other in LA two weeks earlier. And the team was 15 games over .500, as strong as they had been all year when the trip started, despite the show acting like the team was going downhill.

There's so much made-up bullshit on the show. It's basically a fictional story using real people as characters.
[Reply]
KC_Connection 05:20 PM 04-18-2022
Originally Posted by cosmo20002:
There's so much made-up bullshit on the show. It's basically a fictional story using real people as characters.
The movie Moneyball (which was quite good) was little different in that respect. I get being upset with that if you were the actual people involved, but for me, who is just there to be entertained, I don't care at all.
[Reply]
cosmo20002 06:50 PM 04-18-2022
Originally Posted by KC_Connection:
The movie Moneyball (which was quite good) was little different in that respect. I get being upset with that if you were the actual people involved, but for me, who is just there to be entertained, I don't care at all.
For some people, part of the entertainment is maybe learning something about the people and events that you are familiar with, but didn't already know. Here, they are just making up a lot of stuff. Some people who aren't as familiar with the people and events won't know the difference. And "It's not a documentary" shouldn't be license for just making shit up about people/events.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 07:05 PM 04-18-2022
For some people, part of the entertainment is maybe learning something about the people and events that you are familiar with, but didn't already know. Here, they are just making up a lot of stuff. Some people who aren't as familiar with the people and events won't know the difference. And "It's not a documentary" shouldn't be license for just making shit up about people/events.
THIS!
It’s just fun. Not a retelling of the history facts.
[Reply]
Direckshun 08:04 PM 04-18-2022
We know that Kareem was a machine those years. We also know that Bird was a hungry mother****er who took no shit, talked it constantly, and pulled stunts like telling opponents what he was going to do. We also know Magic is/was a heart-first, head-second guy who eventually became a dominant offensive force. And we know the Garden was a sweat stain of a stadium packed with pasty Irish cab drivers who would go out of their way to piss off the Lakers. We know the Lakers were a showy group who got hammered by the Celtics and had to frequently rise to the occasion by playing left handed and hammering back, usually harder than the Celtics hammered them at the start.

That episode was not remotely a straight forward retelling, but it captured the essence and dramatized the rivalry beautifully. This is the Hollywood-ing this rivalry deserved.
[Reply]
TwistedChief 09:23 PM 04-18-2022
"Fuck Boston."

I didn't know the exact specifics of that roadtrip.

Didn't care about the exact specifics of that roadtrip.

But if there were a week in Laker history where the mantra was "Fuck Boston," I'm totally onboard with the re-telling in this week's episode.

Close enough to real life that I'm not gonna deduct points from an admitted dramatization of a regular season matchup.
[Reply]
Great Expectations 08:01 AM 04-19-2022
How many years does the book that this season is based on cover?
[Reply]
KC_Connection 09:22 PM 04-19-2022
Originally Posted by :
Former Los Angeles Lakers executive Jerry West demanded a retraction and an apology for what he called "a baseless and malicious assault" on his character in the HBO series "Winning Time," in a letter sent by his legal team to the network and producer Adam McKay on Tuesday evening, which was obtained by ESPN.

West's lawyers allege that "Winning Time falsely and cruelly portrays Mr. West as an out-of-control, intoxicated rage-aholic," saying that "bears no resemblance to the real man," and ask for a retraction no later than two weeks from the receipt of the letter.

"The portrayal of NBA icon and LA Lakers legend Jerry West in 'Winning Time' is fiction pretending to be fact -- a deliberately false characterization that has caused great distress to Jerry and his family," said Skip Miller, a partner at the Miller Barondess, LLP law firm in Los Angeles and attorney for West. "Contrary to the baseless portrayal in the HBO series, Jerry had nothing but love for and harmony with the Lakers organization, and in particular owner Dr. Jerry Buss, during an era in which he assembled one of the greatest teams in NBA history.
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...series-winning

Yeah, I was expecting something like this at some point. Good luck getting a retraction, Jerry. :-)
[Reply]
BigRedChief 07:50 AM 04-21-2022
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...series-winning

Yeah, I was expecting something like this at some point. Good luck getting a retraction, Jerry. :-)
What's the truth? Did he have an over the top alcohol problem in that era? Rage all the time in private?

Also did Buss's daughters really discover Paula Abdul on a high school foot ball cheer team?
[Reply]
cosmo20002 10:33 AM 04-21-2022
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
What's the truth? Did he have an over the top alcohol problem in that era? Rage all the time in private?

Also did Buss's daughters really discover Paula Abdul on a high school foot ball cheer team?
No on both.
The show is "supposed" to be based on the book Showtime written about 10 years ago. But the show is really just loosely based on the book. It veers away from it over and over in order to "dramatize" which apparently is license to just make stuff up.

They even make up stiff that is just completely unnecessary needlessly misleading. It is true that Tark's "agent" was murdered and found in a trunk. It is also known that he was stealing from the mob. On the show, he's found in the trunk with Buss's business card tucked in his collar. That never happened. Why make that up?
[Reply]
KC_Connection 10:44 AM 04-21-2022
No on both.
The show is "supposed" to be based on the book Showtime written about 10 years ago. But the show is really just loosely based on the book. It veers away from it over and over in order to "dramatize" which apparently is license to just make stuff up.

They even make up stiff that is just completely unnecessary needlessly misleading. It is true that Tark's "agent" was murdered and found in a trunk. It is also known that he was stealing from the mob. On the show, he's found in the trunk with Buss's business card tucked in his collar. That never happened. Why make that up?
Because it's a TV show that is designed to entertain. Which, by the way, it is doing a pretty good job of.
[Reply]
lawrenceRaider 11:05 AM 04-21-2022
No on both.

Nice to see that you are as simple on these things as your posts on other things.

Never heard of creative license?
[Reply]
BigRedChief 07:16 AM 04-22-2022
Because it's a TV show that is designed to entertain. Which, by the way, it is doing a pretty good job of.
Originally Posted by lawrenceRaider:
Nice to see that you are as simple on these things as your posts on other things.

Never heard of creative license?
Is it entertaining to make an all time NBA a raging alcoholic for entertainment? It's just over the top. Its the lakers in the 90's. Plenty of over the top stuff you could show. They just show you a 30 second spot of the cocaine filled parties taking place in the Forum. Thats a gold mine. Not mined yet.

And the open shirt. Sure that was a thing in the 70's. Its 10+ years later. Did Buss really dress like that?
[Reply]
Page 4 of 6
< 1234 56 >
Up