ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 6 of 6
« First < 23456
Media Center>Winning Time: The Rise of the Lakers Dynasty
siberian khatru 08:42 AM 12-10-2021
Are you ****ing kidding me? This looks fantastic, and I'm not even a Lakers fan. But I absolutely remember that team and those times.

[Reply]
ChiefsCountry 01:05 PM 05-22-2022
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
S2 should really cover the next 2 years.

80-81 can show the cracks developing and Westhead trying to put his stamp on the team and prove that he’s a real NBA coach and not just someone coasting on McKinney (which, coincidentally, is mostly what Riley went on to do offensively).

81-82 can have Magic cutting Westhead off at the knees, McAdoo showing up and Riley making the Lakers ‘his’ team.

Seems like ‘80 through ‘82 is a perfect little timespan.
Kansas City Kings might get some showtime next season. That is the game Magic blew out his knee in 1980.
[Reply]
Prison Bitch 08:55 PM 05-22-2022
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
S2 should really cover the next 2 years.

80-81 can show the cracks developing and Westhead trying to put his stamp on the team and prove that he’s a real NBA coach and not just someone coasting on McKinney (which, coincidentally, is mostly what Riley went on to do offensively).

81-82 can have Magic cutting Westhead off at the knees, McAdoo showing up and Riley making the Lakers ‘his’ team.

Seems like ‘80 through ‘82 is a perfect little timespan.

Too limiting. Plus, after they won 80, the Westhead story was mostly written. Him being fired in 82 was a bit boring because he never did anything after that. He had a fun run at LMU and a flameout in Denver but he’s not a story.

Riley? Huge story. But it’s not good enough to just show 82 and stop. The 83 sweep by Philly was compelling and then how they bounced back to dominate the next 5 years.

Btw I researched how Riley changed his hair. It’s a great (possibly apocryphal) story. Here’s what he looked like as an assistant in 1980 ( left below) before he went all Gordon Gekko***

*** Michael Douglas said for Wall Street, he took Gekko’s hairstyle from Riley. Modeled after him. True story
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 09:13 PM 05-22-2022
Originally Posted by Prison Bitch:
Too limiting. Plus, after they won 80, the Westhead story was mostly written. Him being fired in 82 was a bit boring because he never did anything after that. He had a fun run at LMU and a flameout in Denver but he’s not a story.

Riley? Huge story. But it’s not good enough to just show 82 and stop. The 83 sweep by Philly was compelling and then how they bounced back to dominate the next 5 years.
I could see taking it through '83.

But really I kinda liked the idea of S3 being '83 and the loss to the Celtics in '84 (that 7 gamer could be a season of its own with the way that series pivoted on a couple key foulups and a big scrum and eventual physical play) with the domination of '85-88 teams being S4 and then S5 being the decline and denouement.

But yeah, you could have S2 be through the Philly title, S3 the 'celtics years', S4 the Pistons years and S5 the runout against the Bulls and eventual Magic/Dunleavy wrapup.
[Reply]
Prison Bitch 09:25 PM 05-22-2022
They sorta foreshadowed it by beginning the series with Magic’s HIV diagnosis in 91

Btw Pearlman’s book did cover 1979-2001. So Shaq has a case of being in this but he needs to wait until S3 so I can avoid it
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 09:30 PM 05-22-2022
They sorta foreshadowed it by beginning the series with Magic’s HIV diagnosis in 91

Btw Pearlman’s book did cover 1979-2001. So Shaq has a case of being in this but he needs to wait until S3 so I can avoid it
If it covered 2001, it spent maybe 5 pages at the end on it.

I don't recall a minute of it. You may be thinking of his 2nd Lakers book; Three Ring Circus. I enjoyed that one but it's nowhere near as memorable as Showtime. Honestly it's not his fault - it was just a more mean-spirited era in Lakers history and it made for a less light-hearted and enjoyable read.

I'm almost positive Showtime stops almost immediately after the loss to the Bulls under Dunleavy and then Magic's HIV announcement.
[Reply]
Prison Bitch 09:44 PM 05-22-2022
You could be right. I never read books :-)

If they give me the 80s I can feel like a little kid again watching those games. Loved the NBA 1980s. Now I can’t even stomach highlights
[Reply]
-King- 01:15 AM 05-23-2022
Yeah that might be the best series I've watched in a long time. Granted it's only 1 season but I was hooked every second.
[Reply]
Pepe Silvia 10:32 PM 05-24-2022

Btw I researched how Riley changed his hair. It’s a great (possibly apocryphal) story. Here’s what he looked like as an assistant in 1980 ( left below) before he went all Gordon Gekko***

*** Michael Douglas said for Wall Street, he took Gekko’s hairstyle from Riley. Modeled after him. True story
Man, Adrian Brody really did look like early 80s Pat Reilly.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 09:31 AM 05-25-2022
Originally Posted by PackerinMo:
Man, Adrian Brody really did look like early 80s Pat Reilly.
I mean Jason Segel even looks like Westhead. Reilly looked like Buss. The actors for the players were good (except for the 50 year old man playing Spencer Heywood) as well for parts that had to be really hard to cast.

The casting was across the board aces.

And I re-read Showtime last week and I really think the bitching about the portrayal of West is over the top at this point.

Look - there's a real good chance that West was a gigantic asshole and it comes through loud and clear if you read that book listening for the moments that led to that conclusion.

And like I said earlier - it shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone. This is like 5 years after he was one of the fiercest players on the court and a savage competitor.
[Reply]
KCUnited 10:45 AM 05-26-2022
I enjoyed the series and would gladly watch additional seasons.

Jerry West during the Finals is how I picture 95% of CP watching every Chiefs game.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 06:04 PM 05-26-2022
Originally Posted by KCUnited:
I enjoyed the series and would gladly watch additional seasons.

Jerry West during the Finals is how I picture 95% of CP watching every Chiefs game.
I know. Someone took a video of the crowd watching the playoff game. I was going nuts with the ups and downs. Don’t remember it like that at all until I see the video.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 06:14 PM 05-27-2022
So everybody is complaining about Jerry Wests portrayal in 'Winning Time', right? I'm reading a book about the dream team and when someone asked West in 1980 about a player who got suspended for drugs, his response was "whatever happened to pussy?!?"

Guys, 80s Jerry West wasn't the kindly old teddy bear y'all remember him as, m'kay?
[Reply]
KCUnited 06:37 PM 08-07-2023
We’re back!
[Reply]
DJJasonp 04:35 PM 08-09-2023
more good stuff. thoroughly enjoy this show!
[Reply]
Page 6 of 6
« First < 23456
Up