ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 13 of 56
« First < 3910111213 1415161723 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Orlando Brown Jr signs with Bengals
ShowtimeSBMVP 08:19 PM 03-15-2023

Sources: Four-time Pro Bowl tackle and Super Bowl champ Orlando Brown Jr. is finalizing a four-year, $64.092 million front-loaded deal with the #Bengals that includes an over $31M signing bonus — largest ever for an o-lineman.

Brown’s agent, Michael Portner, confirmed the deal. pic.twitter.com/GFFZX0zLrs

— Tom Pelissero (@TomPelissero) March 16, 2023

[Reply]
oldman 10:17 PM 03-15-2023
So basically $16M per year? I wonder how long he'll stick with that agent.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 10:18 PM 03-15-2023
Originally Posted by rfaulk34:
This is an area where stats don't always tell the whole story. Burrow is on record as saying he doesn't mind taking a sack, situationally. He'll hold the ball longer to make a play and as long as the situation dictates, he'll take a sack and move on to the next play. Plus, as he gets experience, that will morph as well.

Let's be honest. Burrow already has a metric shit-ton of experience with getting pressured. He's never really had a 'good' Oline. With an average one, in the middle of last season, he was lights out. Brown will be an improvement over Williams at LT, so we'll see if the Bengals throw Jonah over to RT or if they go another way. I'd still be inclined to try and get a guy like Darnell Wright in the draft to play RT. But this gives them more options if they want to go TE then S or CB in the draft.
That's all well and good.

Brown has some nice traits. He's durable. He is nearly impossible to beat with power moves. But he is SLOW up the arc. Running a lot of 7-step drop, slow developing pass plays is difficult with his style/abilities.

The Bengals will have to give him more help, or adjust their offense to rely more on the short passing game.

He also has specifically struggled with Myles Garrett and Odefe Oweh.

It's good value, and he'll perform at a solid level for the Bengals ... if they adjust to accentuate his strengths.
[Reply]
DRM08 10:20 PM 03-15-2023
Originally Posted by New World Order:
Mahomes made Brown look waaaay better than he really is
So did Andy Reid. But the good thing for Orlando is he's moving to a team with good coaches and a QB with a very quick release. Burrow will need to use those quick throws to protect against Orlando's weaknesses.
[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 10:21 PM 03-15-2023
Originally Posted by jettio:
Orlando Brown Jr. has done pretty good for himself considering the setback from his combine made him a 3rd round pick whose film at OU had him projected higher.

Chiefs were very fortunate that he had ambition to be a left tackle and that he had good enough personal relationships with Ravens that he could be traded when he was not going to be paid much for his 4th season.

Chiefs got Pro Bowl LT play for $10 million per year for 2 seasons.

He signed his franchise tag right away last March and only missed a couple days of training camp.

He came to camp in 2022 at his best weight and kept his fitness up for the whole season.

He played through injury early in the season and even though the chiefs planet crowd graded Brown and Wylie harshly with no regard for what caliber of players they were facing, he had a solid year.

Brown seems to get along well with teammates.

Ravens would not have traded Brown if they knew that Ronnie Stanley would miss almost every snap in 2021, after suffering ankle injury the weekend after signing his mega deal in 2020 and missing rest of 2020, all but a few snaps in 2021 and the first 6 games of 2022.

Apparently, Chiefs pro scouting has graded Jawaan Taylor super high.

Chiefs offer to Taylor says that Brown and his agent were right to call the unrealistically high 6th year in last year's offer to be cosmetic bullshit. Seems like Veach took that to heart and maybe Chiefs will not bother with that bullshit number in final year offer anymore.

Brown is making plenty of money for a 3rd round pick and he has outperformed a lot of players taken before him.

It may be a little humbling to sign a deal that looks like less than the horseshit offer the Chiefs put him front of him last year, but he is still making plenty of money and will be playing for a competitive team with elite players.

Chiefs were lucky as hell to have him for 2 years and I respect that he believed in himself enough to ask out of Baltimore and do it in a way that the Ravens accommodated him without animosity.

Funny to watch the meltdown in this thread badmouthing a guy that showed up to work and met expectations playing a premium position.

If Chiefs are able to beat Bengals in upcoming seasons, there will be a lot of reasons for that ahead of Brown being the Bengals LT and being called poor for making almost a million dollars a game.
I think it's as simple as the Chiefs made Brown an offer and he thought he could get more (or at least wait them out). The Chiefs made their offer to Taylor and signed him leaving no room for Brown. He had to move on and took the Gals' offer.

No clue why Chief Fan wants to shit on a guy that gave the Chiefs so much, but they've done that since he got here.
[Reply]
rfaulk34 10:21 PM 03-15-2023
Originally Posted by jerryaldini:
I think it's intentionally front loaded for their two year window before Chase is due.
Bengals tendency has always been to front-load contracts. They don't typically structure for redo's and rarely do voidables. They usually offer a contract that they expect to play out to it's conclusion the way it's written.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 10:22 PM 03-15-2023

The rest of the Bengals when Orlando gets his Super Bowl ring at Arrowhead in Week 1 pic.twitter.com/rXP6TCFQ4k

— Sir Bird Law Expert ���� (@RealBirdLawyer) March 16, 2023

[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 10:22 PM 03-15-2023
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:

Brown has some nice traits. He's durable. He is nearly impossible to beat with power moves. But he is SLOW up the arc. Running a lot of 7-step drop, slow developing pass plays is difficult with his style/abilities.

The Bengals will have to give him more help, or adjust their offense to rely more on the short passing game.

It's good value, and he'll perform at a solid level for the Bengals ... if they adjust to accentuate his strengths.
They weren't able to run a ton of 7-step drops with the guy they put out there last year. How does this change that reality?
[Reply]
jerryaldini 10:22 PM 03-15-2023
Looks like Schefter was right. The league saw him as a RT. Bears were rumored to be very interested after they lost out on Taylor and Mcglinchey, but only at RT apparently
[Reply]
rfaulk34 10:24 PM 03-15-2023
Originally Posted by TwistedChief:
I read the Keysor piece. And I know he was really excited about him.

But the guy is a notoriously bad run blocker (and if I recall that wasn't covered in the article in anything more than a snippet) and it's still a transition to go from RT to LT.

And he's more expensive than OBJ (at least surface AAV). And at least we know OBJ was well-liked inside the lockerroom.

As I said, it's a close call. And ultimately if Veach/Reid liked Taylor more than Brown, it's a no-brainer.

I just didn't think the money on their deals would be comparable enough for us to even be having this conversation. I think 90% of us would've been thrilled if we kept OBJ on that deal.
Chiefs got a really athletic guy that should transition to the left side and be really good at passpro for years. Bengals improved their left side and opened some options in the draft.

Contracts aside, both teams should be better between the lines.
[Reply]
Rainbarrel 10:31 PM 03-15-2023
After the play breaks down. He'll be first in the endzone to celebrate the play pulled out of the QB's ass
[Reply]
rfaulk34 10:32 PM 03-15-2023
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:

No doubt. They're already pretty used to that type of tackle with Williams, Collins and Hart. Burrow has never taken 7 and i'd say he's had maybe a handfull of 5 step drops. The offense is already designed to get the ball out quick and take shots when they're there. Lot of shotgun.

The best i can say is, he's better than Jonah Williams on the left side and the Bengals have had some success the last 2 years with the guys they've trotted out there.
[Reply]
dlphg9 10:33 PM 03-15-2023
Originally Posted by Hammock Parties:

As if that's all on OBJ. Niang and Smith goy owned too. Creed and Thuney were the only ones winning there rep.
[Reply]
dlphg9 10:34 PM 03-15-2023
This place talking shit on guys leaving is pathetic. The dude tried to get paid and that's within his right. He made the wrong choice, but it doesn't make him an ass hole or anything like that.
[Reply]
jettio 10:35 PM 03-15-2023
One thing about Super Bowl, IMO, the game officials allowed Orlando Brown, Jr., to line up noticeably further back than the other Chiefs OL.

As much discussion as there was about Jawaan Taylor or Lane Johnson possibly false starting in postseason games, I never saw any play in live action in postseason where I thought Taylor or Johnson false started, seemed like both had really good timing, but I did watch the Super Bowl thinking that officials were not as strict as they could have been with Brown's position relative to the other Chiefs OL.

It was funny how mad Joey Bosa got thinking that Jawaan Taylor was false starting. Chiefs probably put an extra million on AAV for Taylor laughing at the idea that Joey Bosa would lose his mind if Taylor is as good with cadence and snap with Chiefs as he was with Jaguars.
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 10:42 PM 03-15-2023
Originally Posted by TwistedChief:
So we made him a huge contract offer last offseason to play LT but we don't actually believe in him to play LT anymore? Don't think that's it.
I think what killed it for obj was his insistence to play left tackle.

What the chiefs get in Taylor is a guy who seems willing to play either. It gives them flexibility to draft a left tackle with the insurance to have a LT if either the draft pick doesn’t work out or you find a right tackle you like.

I get if obj did it for left tackle money. But now that he got paid I don’t know why he would insist on it if a team asked him to play RT. If the rumor mills are true the chiefs weren’t the only ones that seemed turned off by this
[Reply]
Page 13 of 56
« First < 3910111213 1415161723 > Last »
Up