ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 17 of 32
« First < 71314151617 1819202127 > Last »
Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum>If the Chiefs took WR Christian Watson at 30…
staylor26 02:01 PM 03-11-2022
How would you feel about that?
[Reply]
Chiefsph31 04:39 PM 04-16-2022
Tall and fast. I get it. But that would mean that we missed out on getting one of the top 6 WRs (Wilson, Williams, London, Olave, Burks and Dotson)
I think Veach will trade up to get one of those WRs
If we get Watson I would rather it be at pick 50. But he is not available in half of the mock drafts at 50.
Lets just wait and see what magic Veach can drum up.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 04:49 PM 04-16-2022
Originally Posted by kcbubb:
Are you concerned about Watsons drop rate? Can he catch?
I think the sample size is small enough that you can't just look at the drop rate and say "He has bad hands."

Other than the 2020 COVID season, there's really not a year where his drop percentage stands out as a concern.

Reports from people with eyes-on at the Senior Bowl have percolated up recently, indicating he was having a tough time with route-running at that event. That's more concerning to me than the drop percentage.
[Reply]
Dawson 03:14 AM 04-18-2022
Watson would be a good pick but I still think they move up for their true #1 WR whoever that may be.
[Reply]
xztop123 03:28 AM 04-18-2022
No clue. I just hope we get some rationale behind whatever we decide to do. And I hope our plan to get who we want works.

Ultimately this should be a Reid-heavy selection in terms of fit and what he wants
[Reply]
kcbubb 07:57 PM 04-25-2022
https://mobile.twitter.com/NDSUfootb...0%2Fframe.html

6.96 3 cone for watson & 4.19 shuttle both top 5. Watson is one of the best athletes, according to the numbers, that we’ve ever seen.
[Reply]
kccrow 10:40 PM 04-25-2022

6.96 3 cone for watson & 4.19 shuttle both top 5. Watson is one of the best athletes, according to the numbers, that we’ve ever seen.
So was John Ross. Numbers don't always equate to amounting to shit. Watson is as raw as your sushi. Not saying not to take a shot but I wouldn't want to see it before 62.
[Reply]
kcbubb 11:03 PM 04-25-2022
I like Watsons potential on tape and you can see the athleticism that the numbers show. He’s got work to do but the traits are there. And the John Ross comparison is not good. I understand the point and it’s true that he is raw. Watson also was clocked at 23 mph. Hard to coach that with the rest of his measurables.

John Ross https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/john-ross
Measurable Measurement %tile
Height 5' 11" 21
Weight 188 lbs 19
Arm Length 31½" 36
Hand Size 8¾" 9
40 Yard Dash 4.22s 99
Vertical Jump 37" 71
Broad Jump 133" 96

Christian watson https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/christian-watson

Height 6' 4⅛" 94
Weight 208 lbs 64
Wingspan 77⅝" 61
Arm Length 32½" 64
Hand Size 10⅛" 91
10 Yard Split 1.46s 97
40 Yard Dash 4.36s 91
Vertical Jump 38½" 84
Broad Jump 136" 98
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 11:05 PM 04-25-2022

No, he really isn't. No matter how many times it gets repeated.

He's just tall.

He isn't the best athlete in this class. And if you want to take pro day numbers at face value, he arguably isn't even the best tall athlete in this class because Tariq Woolen exists. Look at 6'3'' Zyon McCollum who absolutely massacred the combine; faster and more agile than Watson.

We've gotta stop overselling these guys. I have absolutely no idea where this 'generational athlete' crap came from. He's like, top 5 athletically in this class. Probably. I mean Daxton Hill beat his 40, 3-cone and shuttle times as well (officially; not some padded pro day nonsense) so I've already ticked off Calvin Austin and 3 DBs who have him beat. That's before we get into 3rd day flyers like Kevin Austin who ripped Watson's 3-cone time (again, padded pro day nonsense no less) and beat his shuttle time.

He damn sure isn't something we haven't seen before or won't see again. We see 5-10 guys with numbers in his ballpark every single draft season. Literally every one.

He's just tall. I mean he can't run routes, hasn't excelled against marginal competition and has trouble hanging onto the football. But let's just ignore all of that because he MIGHT be one of the 5 most athletic guys coming out this year.
[Reply]
kcbubb 11:12 PM 04-25-2022
That’s hard to argue with Jordan Davis in this class. There haven’t been many wrs to put up athletic testing numbers like Watson’s at his size. He’s just a rare talent. Will it work out? I don’t know. But I’d gamble on it.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 11:22 PM 04-25-2022
That’s hard to argue with Jordan Davis in this class. There haven’t been many wrs to put up athletic testing numbers like Watson’s at his size. Name a few for me? I’m having a hard time.
And again - THAT'S the point I continue to try to make.

Y'all want to talk about his athleticism and won't acknowledge that it isn't the athleticism that is all that unique.

It's the height. Guys as tall as him don't typically test like he has. Guys in the 5'10 - 6'1 range do it every season.

So what you're talking about is a few inches of height that he has that some don't.

And I just don't understand why anybody cares about guy being tall in this system? We run a damn WCO w/ quick cut timing routes and a razor sharp QB who HATES throwing 50/50 balls. There's marginal benefit at best to tall WRs in this offense.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 11:26 PM 04-25-2022
Wait a minute.

You're the same guy I had this exact conversation with 2 weeks ago.

Nevermind - not sure what we're even doing here at this point. We've gone over this already.

Carryon...
[Reply]
kccrow 12:30 AM 04-26-2022
I like Watsons potential on tape and you can see the athleticism that the numbers show. He’s got work to do but the traits are there. And the John Ross comparison is not good. I understand the point and it’s true that he is raw. Watson also was clocked at 23 mph. Hard to coach that with the rest of his measurables.

John Ross https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/john-ross
Height 5' 11" 21
Weight 188 lbs 19
Arm Length 31½" 36
Hand Size 8¾" 9
40 Yard Dash 4.22s 99
Vertical Jump 37" 71
Broad Jump 133" 96

Christian watson https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/christian-watson

Height 6' 4⅛" 94
Weight 208 lbs 64
Wingspan 77⅝" 61
Arm Length 32½" 64
Hand Size 10⅛" 91
10 Yard Split 1.46s 97
40 Yard Dash 4.36s 91
Vertical Jump 38½" 84
Broad Jump 136" 98
John Ross isn't a good comp? The guy is the fastest player ever in the 40-yard dash and he makes the point that elite athleticism doesn't make a WR good or worth taking high.

Watson is not the type of guy you consider in a conversation with guys like Calvin Johnson and Randy Moss, and I feel like that's the context you're trying to create for him. They were good-to-great FBS WRs with elite athleticism not subpar FCS receivers with elite athleticism.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 05:49 AM 04-26-2022
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
And again - THAT'S the point I continue to try to make.

Y'all want to talk about his athleticism and won't acknowledge that it isn't the athleticism that is all that unique.

It's the height. Guys as tall as him don't typically test like he has. Guys in the 5'10 - 6'1 range do it every season.

So what you're talking about is a few inches of height that he has that some don't.

And I just don't understand why anybody cares about guy being tall in this system? We run a damn WCO w/ quick cut timing routes and a razor sharp QB who HATES throwing 50/50 balls. There's marginal benefit at best to tall WRs in this offense.
Ok, but you're acting like his size is irrelevant. It's not. You can feel like his size is unimportant, but I can line up 32 NFL GM's (and hundreds of scouts)that are going to take issue with that.

And as for The Chiefs not caring about size-their recent acquisitions would indicate otherwise.

Hill is not 'the prototype'. That was a freak stroke of luck. Nobody thought he was going to be a top 5 WR. They took a flier on freak speed and figured he'd be a KR and gadget guy. They took Hardman because it looked like Hill was going to be out of the league.

So I don't necessarily agree.

Having questions about Watson is totally fine, but being able to move like that at 6'4" is indeed freaky. There's a reason we measure the RAS, and it does in fact appear to have some relevance as to the player's possibilities at the NFL level. The kid scored a perfect 10. He ranked #2 out of 2613 WR's tested since 1987. You know who's number one? Calvin Johnson. ****in' Megatron. So yeah, it's perfectly reasonable to say the ceiling here is ridiculously high. You can try to argue that if you want to, but it goes against any and all logic.

He's a freak. Questions about competition level? Sure. Questions about drops? Absolutely. Questions about his usage in his college offense? I think those have been answered, but sure, okay, that's legitimate.

But IF there is a generational, holy shit, WR in this draft-it's Watson. Will he be Randy Moss or Calvin Johnson? Or is he MVS? No idea. His mental make-up will be the determining factor there.

I don't know. I have no idea if Watson will be a great NFL player or not. But if you're trying to argue that the raw materials there aren't special, you're just flat wrong. #2 out of 2613.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 06:06 AM 04-26-2022
Originally Posted by kccrow:
John Ross isn't a good comp? The guy is the fastest player ever in the 40-yard dash and he makes the point that elite athleticism doesn't make a WR good or worth taking high.

Watson is not the type of guy you consider in a conversation with guys like Calvin Johnson and Randy Moss, and I feel like that's the context you're trying to create for him. They were good-to-great FBS WRs with elite athleticism not subpar FCS receivers with elite athleticism.
John Ross did that at an average NFL WR size. In addition to injury problems, he's not shown much growth. That speaks to his mental make-up and character.

And THAT is why the draft is a crap-shoot. And make no mistake, it is.

If you don't like the prospect, that's a legitimate stance. Trying to argue against the raw athleticism is not.

#2 out of 2613 WR's tested since 1987. Number ****ing TWO, behind only Calvin "Megatron" Johnson.

Christian Watson will be as good as he wants to be, and that is the bottom line. That's not necessarily true of everyone. Most prospects have physical limitations in one regard or another. Watson does not.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 06:24 AM 04-26-2022
Look, I know it looks like I'm pounding the table for Watson, and that's not really true.

I too have questions, but those questions aren't physical. I know The Chiefs have met with the kid, and so only Veach and Reid and the guys in Arrowhead know the answers.

There are legitimate concerns. I just think if you're trying to argue against the athletic ability, you're wrong.

6'4" guys aren't that quick and explosive in their movements. They're not supposed to be that fast. The kid is a freak. Comparing him to like...Calvin Austin at 5'7" and saying the athletes are similar is a farce.

And I like Austin, too. But they're not the same thing.

To the OP-as I said early on, IF they took Watson in the first, I would happy only because it would mean that they had done their homework on the mental make-up of the kid and determined that it was worth the risk. It would be a HUGE swing for potential. If they've decided the kid wants to be great and take a chance on that I'll have no issues with it.
[Reply]
Page 17 of 32
« First < 71314151617 1819202127 > Last »
Up