*NERDGASM*

[Reply]
Hammock Parties 05:58 PM 05-21-2008
It's not even close to Temple of Doom?
[Reply]
irishjayhawk 06:09 PM 05-21-2008
Originally Posted by GOATSE:
It's not even close to Temple of Doom?
No. I was yelling for the asian kid halfway 3/4s through.

Essentially, it's the Live Free Die Hard version of Indy. I didn't think it was possible to sink that low. But they did.

If the masses love this, it's either because nostalgia blinds them or cinema has truly left mainstream.

ON that note, it amazes me how so many people can wonder why some movies are made yet continue to see movies just as bad that lead to worse and worse movies. They perpetuate the cycle they hate.
[Reply]
irishjayhawk 06:10 PM 05-21-2008
It went:

Sucky intro -> Nostalgic (good kind) middle part -> Sucky, sucky 3/4s left of the movie..
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 06:11 PM 05-21-2008
Originally Posted by irishjayhawk:
Essentially, it's the Live Free Die Hard version of Indy.
I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing. I loved LFODH.
[Reply]
irishjayhawk 06:13 PM 05-21-2008
I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing. I loved LFODH.
LFODH was an abomination in that vein. It can't compare to 1 or 3. It did beat 2.

However, that comparison is probably off because Indy 4 is worse than 2 (Temple).

The movie lost me at least 7 times. Not confused, just refused to take it seriously. To the point that it became a screwball comedy.
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 06:18 PM 05-21-2008
No. I was yelling for the asian kid halfway 3/4s through.

Essentially, it's the Live Free Die Hard version of Indy. I didn't think it was possible to sink that low. But they did.

If the masses love this, it's either because nostalgia blinds them or cinema has truly left mainstream.

ON that note, it amazes me how so many people can wonder why some movies are made yet continue to see movies just as bad that lead to worse and worse movies. They perpetuate the cycle they hate.

There were parts of LFODH i liked. Mainly Willis just being hard ass McClain again.

But for the most part, it didnt feel like a Die Hard film.

Is that how this latest Indy film feels??
[Reply]
irishjayhawk 06:20 PM 05-21-2008
Originally Posted by Deberg_1990:
There were parts of LFODH i liked. Mainly Willis just being hard ass McClain again.

But for the most part, it didnt feel like a Die Hard film.

Is that how this latest Indy film feels??
Yes. It wasn't in the same vein at all. It tried. Oh, it tried. It even fooled me in the middle area when most of the puzzle was being solved.

And for the record, I usually agree with Ebert. This time, I've got to say he's dead wrong. And I'd say the reason he doesn't want anyone to compare all four of them (or rank them) is because 4 would be dead last by a wide margin.

Someone also said Speilberg had been quoted saying he didn't really like the film or something. Anyone know about that.

Actually, you bring up a good comparison. I liked Jones being back on screen (likewise, McClane) but the movie just plain sucked.
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 06:24 PM 05-21-2008
Yes. It wasn't in the same vein at all. It tried. Oh, it tried. It even fooled me in the middle area when most of the puzzle was being solved.

And for the record, I usually agree with Ebert. This time, I've got to say he's dead wrong. And I'd say the reason he doesn't want anyone to compare all four of them (or rank them) is because 4 would be dead last by a wide margin.

Someone also said Speilberg had been quoted saying he didn't really like the film or something. Anyone know about that.

Actually, you bring up a good comparison. I liked Jones being back on screen (likewise, McClane) but the movie just plain sucked.
Oh well...

We will see. IM going to try and see it tomorrow. Just out of curiosity, how old are you? IM 37, so im right in that age group where the originals were a big part of our childhood. I have a feeling this flick will play differently to people in different age brackets.
[Reply]
irishjayhawk 06:25 PM 05-21-2008
Oh well...

We will see. IM going to try and see it tomorrow. Just out of curiosity, how old are you? IM 37, so im right in that age group where the originals were a big part of our childhood. I have a feeling this flick will play differently to people in different age brackets.
I'm 21. I didn't grow up with it, but I saw all of them as a kid. Who didn't? :-)

Which is why I think that the nostalgia factor is coming into play with the older (older than me) crowd.
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 06:27 PM 05-21-2008
Which is why I think that the nostalgia factor is coming into play with the older (older than me) crowd.
Your probably right. Just seeing Indy again on the big screen is something i never thought id see. IM sure ill be jazzed for at least the first hour.
[Reply]
irishjayhawk 06:28 PM 05-21-2008
Your probably right. Just seeing Indy again in the big screen is something i never thought id see. IM sure ill be jazzed for at least the first hour.
Minus the first 10 minute intro. I think you'll hate that part but forgive it. With the exception of a few shots, which were, admittedly, cool.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 07:07 PM 05-21-2008
Irishjayhawk is making me nervous. I have an idea in my head of how this movie should be handled, and he's scaring me. He's giving me Attack of the Clones vibes. He's making it sound like the editing is shoddy and unemotional.
[Reply]
Bill S Preston 07:24 PM 05-21-2008
Awesome. I thought that Live Free Die Hard was very fun to watch.
[Reply]
irishjayhawk 07:45 PM 05-21-2008
Irishjayhawk is making me nervous. I have an idea in my head of how this movie should be handled, and he's scaring me. He's giving me Attack of the Clones vibes. He's making it sound like the editing is shoddy and unemotional.
I don't think it's the editing. I think it's an uninterested director, poor script, and unnecessary tampering with a classic series. Especially, with the story they went with.

I will say that after seeing this it's amazing that I never figured out that National Treasure was really a homage to Indy.
[Reply]
irishjayhawk 07:46 PM 05-21-2008
Originally Posted by Bill S Preston:
Awesome. I thought that Live Free Die Hard was very fun to watch.
The sad thing is I knew it would be a bad comparison because of how many people loved the garbage that LFDH was.

That said, both were "fun" watches. They just sucked.

And for comparison, I loved Transformers.
[Reply]
Page 14 of 37
« First < 41011121314 1516171824 > Last »
Up