ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 70 of 221
« First < 20606667686970 7172737480120170 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>The Fishing Thread
Easy 6 07:58 PM 02-19-2010
Searched around & only found the video fishing & BassMasters threads, i know their are plenty of outdoorsman here, so i figured it'd be cool to draw upon the Planets vast experience in all things fishing.

I only use spincast reels & fish mostly large/smallmouth bass & cats. My choice of reels is quite the source of derision from many people i know 'duffer gear', but i haul in my share of 6 pound bass & 10-20 pound cats on that gear no problem. With a little know-how you can use just about any technique you want to on 'duffer gear'.

Berkley Powerbaits are a big part of my trick bag, the difference between those & regular stuff is night & day. My best action last summer came on Mister Twister scented white curly tail grubs, on one day fishing from shore to a bridge pier, i caught smallies, bigmouths, perch & even 1 carp believe it or not... great day. But my bread & butter is a texas rigged Berkley worm, it'll wiggle through any kind of cover without getting hung up.

With cats i strictly bottom fish, no bobber & bait is just as basic... but its always in 2's to give'em a real treat... a shrimp/with a nightcrawler, liver/chunk of cheese etc. Cats are mostly for night sport to me, time to kick back a lil...

So thats me style, how do the rest of you guys get your fish on? What do you fish for, what do you use? IIRC Missouri's trout season just kicked off, anyone getting anything?
[Reply]
Red Beans 10:18 AM 05-28-2014
Originally Posted by El Jefe:
Are you black? Only reason I ask is the only people I have ever known to eat Drum fish have been black. There is an older black guy at my church who is the only guy I know who has a recipe that makes drum fish/any overly grease fish somewhat edible, I personally still wont eat them. My aunt's whole side is Mexican, they will fish for anything and eat almost anything, but they will not eat drum fish, sheephead, white bass etc etc.
Nope. I'm pretty white. The thing is, a lot of the reasons people don't eat certain fish are based on traditional notions that are derived from sentiments like yours. Think about it, people will eat a shitload of catfish, a fish that eats live and decaying flesh, but fail to eat a drum that eats far less disgusting material than a catfish. I'll eat just about whatever I catch, but catfish are probably my least favorite. Both white bass and drum are pretty decent eating. I'd say they're on par with smallies or largemouth....
[Reply]
ptlyon 10:21 AM 05-28-2014
Originally Posted by Radar Chief:
Part Cherokee, but mostly Irish, and love drum. Does that count?
Keep the whiskey away from this guy ^^^
[Reply]
stonedstooge 10:56 AM 05-28-2014
Originally Posted by Red Beans:
Nope. I'm pretty white. The thing is, a lot of the reasons people don't eat certain fish are based on traditional notions that are derived from sentiments like yours. Think about it, people will eat a shitload of catfish, a fish that eats live and decaying flesh, but fail to eat a drum that eats far less disgusting material than a catfish. I'll eat just about whatever I catch, but catfish are probably my least favorite. Both white bass and drum are pretty decent eating. I'd say they're on par with smallies or largemouth....
How do you cook a drum? Do you treat them like a carp? Whoops, saw you answered this earlier. So sorry
[Reply]
loochy 11:15 AM 05-28-2014
Here's a nice rainbow I nailed at Taneycomo's trophy water. Sorry the picture isn't great, but it's a screen cap from a video I took. I was trying to lay my phone on a rock and capture a little bit of video while avoiding handling the fish for too long.

[Reply]
El Jefe 12:34 PM 05-28-2014
Originally Posted by Red Beans:
That is such an interesting post, with a lot of information that really I didn't think about as being true, but is. My family is predominantly Indian/Irish, I have more Cherokee Indian that anything else in my composition, and my family (dad's Indian side) has always stayed away from drum fish. My great grandmother was appalled by them, but she would eat raccoon lol (I don't partake in that either).
[Reply]
In58men 12:47 PM 05-28-2014
Originally Posted by loochy:
Here's a nice rainbow I nailed at Taneycomo's trophy water. Sorry the picture isn't great, but it's a screen cap from a video I took. I was trying to lay my phone on a rock and capture a little bit of video while avoiding handling the fish for too long.
Ross Geller lookin ass ninja
[Reply]
morphius 01:59 PM 05-28-2014
I'm a terrible fisher, but had a fun day catching on Sunday. Ended up catching 2 large mouth, 2 white, blue gill, cat and a drum. Just pulling in that many fish in a weekend would make me happy, made for a fun day.
[Reply]
Easy 6 04:13 PM 05-28-2014
Originally Posted by loochy:
Very nice, Loochy... and since you didn't intend to eat it, props for limiting the handling.

Originally Posted by morphius:
I'm a terrible fisher, but had a fun day catching on Sunday. Ended up catching 2 large mouth, 2 white, blue gill, cat and a drum. Just pulling in that many fish in a weekend would make me happy, made for a fun day.
Sounds awesome, those days where you get a wide variety are definitely my favorite.
[Reply]
KcMizzou 08:11 PM 05-28-2014
I posted this in the wrong thread earlier. This is where it belongs.

This is the biggest catch of our Memorial Day weekend trip. That's a co-worker of mine, and my goofy brother with the double birds. I tried to get this thing in a net...lol no chance.

[Reply]
Dunit35 05-28-2014, 08:30 PM
This message has been deleted by Dunit35. Reason: dee
KcMizzou 08:33 PM 05-28-2014
Damn, That's pretty friggin' cool of ya. Well done.
[Reply]
Dunit35 08:41 PM 05-28-2014
I having fished with my dad in 13 years so it should be awesome. I rented a cabin with it.
[Reply]
planetdoc 08:45 PM 05-28-2014
I like oily fish. Generally, fish oil is considered healthy and good for you.
[Reply]
Easy 6 08:49 PM 05-28-2014
Originally Posted by KcMizzou:
I posted this in the wrong thread earlier. This is where it belongs.

This is the biggest catch of our Memorial Day weekend trip. That's a co-worker of mine, and my goofy brother with the double birds. I tried to get this thing in a net...lol no chance.

Whoooa nice cat, its hard to tell there but maybe a blue? its no flathead or channel... that's about 30 pounds or so amirite?

Either way, chop it up into pieces, bread it, fry it and that's a table full of food
[Reply]
SAUTO 05-28-2014, 08:49 PM
This message has been deleted by SAUTO.
CoMoChief 08:53 PM 05-28-2014
catfish is gross. (JMO)

i've seen some big record breaking sum' bitches (Blue cat and channel) at Jacomo.
[Reply]
KcMizzou 08:53 PM 05-28-2014
Originally Posted by scott free:
Whoooa nice cat, its hard to tell there but maybe a blue? its no flathead or channel... that's about 30 pounds or so amirite?

Either way, chop it up into pieces, bread it, fry it and that's a table full of food
Yep, it's a blue. Caught at our Grandpa's property near Climax Springs. We didn't have a scale, but he was 35 inches.
[Reply]
Page 70 of 221
« First < 20606667686970 7172737480120170 > Last »
Up