ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2815 of 3903
« First < 1815231527152765280528112812281328142815 281628172818281928252865291533153815 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
petegz28 10:34 AM 08-10-2020
Originally Posted by Pants:
What is O.city's take and what is my take?

Are you referring to everything he and I have stated so far in this thread of thousands upon thousands of posts or are you referring strictly to me addressing his statement of:

"You wanna stop the spread where the majority of the spread happens, no?"
Apparently you seem to think I have misunderstood your take so why don't you clarify it for me then so I know for sure where you are coming from?
[Reply]
petegz28 10:36 AM 08-10-2020
Originally Posted by Fish:
I don't know. Refer to the experts who are best positioned to make those decisions.
Which ones? I think we can agree any of us could cite experts that would pose any numbers of recommendations from extreme lock downs to Sweden style and everything in between.
[Reply]
O.city 10:38 AM 08-10-2020
I don't understand what you're suggesting. Of all the people on this forum, I figured you would understand public health more than basically anyone.

I guess in a vacuum and as a general statement, your post makes sense. It makes zero sense in real life applications, however.

It's virtually impossible to mitigate the spread of the virus at home. This is why you want to stop it from making it there to begin with.

I can't believe I actually have to type that.
To go a little farther on this, I'm basing my thoughts here on the fact that it's so widespread, it's of our best interest at this point to mitigate it in homes. I dont' think there's alot of spread in places people are in sparingly or for small amounts of time like grocery stores or shopping etc.

I don't really knwo that there is an ideal scenario at this point to be honest. It's shit or shit.
[Reply]
Donger 10:38 AM 08-10-2020
It's not like this is a new thing. It was just ignored:

https://www.whitehouse.gov/openingamerica/
[Reply]
Pants 10:41 AM 08-10-2020
Originally Posted by petegz28:
Apparently you seem to think I have misunderstood your take so why don't you clarify it for me then so I know for sure where you are coming from?
Nah. If you don't want to answer my question, that's fine.
[Reply]
O.city 10:43 AM 08-10-2020

1/ All masks are not the same, and it's hard to tell which ones work better, but this article provides some insights.

First, "paper" surgical masks are really very very good.
https://t.co/LhT5sWiW69 pic.twitter.com/LlxL7nm42m

— Farzad Mostashari (@Farzad_MD) August 9, 2020

Here's a good breakdown on masks.
[Reply]
Pants 10:46 AM 08-10-2020
Originally Posted by O.city:
To go a little farther on this, I'm basing my thoughts here on the fact that it's so widespread, it's of our best interest at this point to mitigate it in homes. I dont' think there's alot of spread in places people are in sparingly or for small amounts of time like grocery stores or shopping etc.

I don't really knwo that there is an ideal scenario at this point to be honest. It's shit or shit.
Well, if you successfully mitigate it on a public level, the spread that happens at home stops there.

Clearly you have to improve the public mitigation efforts in order to curb the infections from making their way home to begin with.

I don't know what measures could be taken at home once the infection is there. To make matters worse, oftentimes, by the time an infected individual expresses symptoms, the spread most likely already occurred at home.
[Reply]
DaFace 10:49 AM 08-10-2020

Here's a good breakdown on masks.
Interesting that bandanas and fleece are largely useless.

Here's the key chart.

3/ an interesting finding: valved N95 masks were significantly worse than fitted, nonvalved n95 masks for preventing the spread of droplets

Makes sense- valve lets out breath. These may be better at protecting the wearer, but not as good as surgical masks for preventing spread. pic.twitter.com/0kJR401rgM

— Farzad Mostashari (@Farzad_MD) August 9, 2020

[Reply]
O.city 10:49 AM 08-10-2020
Well, if you successfully mitigate it on a public level, the spread that happens at home stops there.

Clearly you have to improve the public mitigation efforts in order to curb the infections from making their way home to begin with.

I don't know what measures could be taken at home once the infection is there. To make matters worse, oftentimes, by the time an infected individual expresses symptoms, the spread most likely already occurred at home.
At this point, to get to the point where it seems everyone wants it to be (no infections) you're gonna have to heavily do both. That would entail hotels to house those who can't successfully isolate at their homes.

I don't think anyone has the political capitol or want to to pull that off though.
[Reply]
Pants 10:52 AM 08-10-2020
At this point, to get to the point where it seems everyone wants it to be (no infections) you're gonna have to heavily do both. That would entail hotels to house those who can't successfully isolate at their homes.

I don't think anyone has the political capitol or want to to pull that off though.
Absolutely. I can't speak for everyone but all I want is to avoid wildfires.
[Reply]
O.city 10:58 AM 08-10-2020
Originally Posted by DaFace:
Yeah.

N95's are the best for the wearer, so if you're worried about catching it thats what you need.
[Reply]
O.city 10:59 AM 08-10-2020
Absolutely. I can't speak for everyone but all I want is to avoid wildfires.
For sure. Thats where we are now.

I've been keeping a close eye on some of these hotspots and they're significantly slowing it appears. So I'm hopeful if we can control things without hardcore tools, that we can keep that up around the country.
[Reply]
jd1020 11:00 AM 08-10-2020
Originally Posted by DaFace:

Here's the key chart.
Wearing fleece is worse than wearing nothing? That seems... odd.
[Reply]
DaFace 11:03 AM 08-10-2020
Originally Posted by jd1020:
Wearing fleece is worse than wearing nothing? That seems... odd.
Yeah, not sure what that's about. It could just be explained by error (which is what the bars represent).

I didn't read the methodology, but in theory maybe people are more cautious with nothing than they are when wearing a fleece mask?

Regardless, I wouldn't read much into it beyond "fleece isn't good."
[Reply]
Donger 11:05 AM 08-10-2020
Neck fleeces, also called gaiter masks and often used by runners, were the least effective. In fact, wearing a fleece mask resulted in a higher number of respiratory droplets because the material seemed to break down larger droplets into smaller particles that are more easily carried away with air.

Folded bandanas and knitted masks also performed poorly and did not offer much protection.

"We were extremely surprised to find that the number of particles measured with the fleece actually exceeded the number of particles measured without wearing any mask," Fischer said. "We want to emphasize that we really encourage people to wear masks, but we want them to wear masks that actually work."
[Reply]
Page 2815 of 3903
« First < 1815231527152765280528112812281328142815 281628172818281928252865291533153815 > Last »
Up