ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3528 of 3903
« First < 2528302834283478351835243525352635273528 3529353035313532353835783628 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
Bugeater 04:36 PM 06-26-2021
BTW, I got the J&J single shot a month ago. I drove into a parking lot, they came out, gave me the jab, I waited 15 minutes and I drove away. Never even got out of the car. No side effects, no bullshit, no big deal.

So yeah, just fucking do it.
[Reply]
Coach 05:54 PM 06-26-2021
Originally Posted by loochy:
Right, but the word mRNA looks very similar to DNA...so what if they're changing our DNA?
Except it isn't changing anyone's DNA.

mRNA is basically a messenger, giving the blue print of what the infection looks like to our immune cells (T-cells, B-cells and NK cells). Then the immune cells use this blue print to train themselves as to how to attack of said infection.

Once the immune cells complete their blue print, they destroy the mRNA.

That's it. It's game over. mRNA does not go anywhere near anyone's DNA, because it is not designed to do that.
[Reply]
TLO 05:56 PM 06-26-2021
Originally Posted by Coach:

mRNA is basically a messenger, giving the blue print of what the infection looks like to our immune cells (T-cells, B-cells and NK cells). Then the immune cells use this blue print to train themselves as to how to attack of said infection.

That's it. It's game over. mRNA does not go anywhere near anyone's DNA, because it is not designed to do that. And it's also unethical.
BEP has a list of doctors cited from some PRETTY credible websites that say otherwise...
[Reply]
Coach 06:02 PM 06-26-2021
Originally Posted by TLO:
BEP has a list of doctors cited from some PRETTY credible websites that say otherwise...
And there lies the problem, it's idiots like that spew that falsehood dichotomy is the reason why we can't have nice things these days.

If someone really want to alter someone's DNA, it would actually have to be gene therapy, and mRNA doesn't do that.
[Reply]
Bearcat 06:13 PM 06-26-2021
Youtube does have a lot of credible content, so that's technically true...
[Reply]
Chief Roundup 07:53 PM 06-26-2021
Right, but the word mRNA looks very similar to DNA...so what if they're changing our DNA?
This can't be a real thought/question.
[Reply]
TLO 08:36 PM 06-26-2021

That's it. It's game over. mRNA does not go anywhere near anyone's DNA, because it is not designed to do that.
Originally Posted by Chief Roundup:
This can't be a real thought/question.
loochy isn't a dumb dumb. He's not being serious.
[Reply]
Kiimo 08:39 PM 06-26-2021
There will ALWAYS be another excuse. The people who haven't gotten the vaccine yet simply aren't going to do it. There's no amount of data you can show them. There's no well reasoned discussion you can have with them. No full FDA approval. They've made up their minds and that's it.

It sucks, but it is what it is.
I was gonna say how many hundreds of thousands of people didn't get vaccinated because of six people getting blood clots back in the spring

but then I remembered it's probably not about "because of x, I'm not doing y."

It's "I'm not doing x, let me find a y."
[Reply]
loochy 10:20 PM 06-26-2021

Originally Posted by Chief Pagan:
Yes, and what if instead you got Covid and it gave you a lifetime of pain?

What are some symptoms of COVID-19 long-haulers?

Those individuals are often referred to as “COVID long-haulers” and have a condition called COVID-19 syndrome or “long COVID.” For COVID long-haulers, persistent symptoms often include brain fog, fatigue, headaches, dizziness and shortness of breath, among others. Apr 15, 2021

It's a sad day when something this sarcastic and ridiculous is taken as an actual plausible option.
[Reply]
Sure-Oz 10:48 PM 06-26-2021
There will ALWAYS be another excuse. The people who haven't gotten the vaccine yet simply aren't going to do it. There's no amount of data you can show them. There's no well reasoned discussion you can have with them. No full FDA approval. They've made up their minds and that's it.

You're right. It's just extremely frustrating that the selfishness of people won't let this virus stop mutating and let everyone get herd immunity going. I'm frustrated that I may still need to consider masking again since delta is here and MO is leading the way with unvaccinated people and probably those people not wearing masks anymore.

Guess they'll just have to find out the hard way that covid is way worse then getting a shot to protect yourself.
[Reply]
mr. tegu 11:01 PM 06-26-2021
I think at this point what I wrote months ago regarding vaccine rates is looking pretty accurate. We are at about 45% fully vaccinated and the rates are dropping quickly.

Originally Posted by mr. tegu:
I hope people realize that herd immunity and 80-90% of the population vaccinated should not be the goal for return to normal. This things isn’t going away any time soon. Millions of people under 18 and many more adults will still be getting this thing regardless of how many adults are vaccinated. Sure it will be less numbers and less prevalent but it’s clear to me that many people are mistakenly expecting it to just sort of end. So any time I see something like we need to be doing x amount of vaccinations to have administered x amount by a certain date it’s just sort of noise and settling an unachievable goal. Once vaccine availability is there for the whole population, that’s really all that matters.
I think you will see about a 50% vaccination rate at best. Those who had the virus, most likely won’t get it. Rightfully so in my opinion. Regarding everyone else, I believe that the excitement and conversation about getting the virus reduces every day. The slow roll out is a problem in this regard. For large amounts of people who won’t even have access to it until April, May, and even June, they are going to look around and see cases and deaths being pretty minimal. By then the initial surge of momentum and excitement, combined with need, about getting the vaccine will be greatly reduced.

This seems especially likely to me because these will be the younger, healthier, and or low exposure group. If the message continues to be masks social distancing even with the vaccine, what will be their motivation? On top of that if we keep hearing about a need for boosters, which are basically a nonstarter in my view in that the vast majority won’t get them, people in those last eligible groups just aren’t going to commit to something like that in large numbers.
Just no chance. We already are at about 10% with confirmed infections. In that group perhaps 2-3% will get it? So the maximum is already about 90%. Behavioral psychology just tells me that there is a window for getting as many people to do it as possible and it’s directly correlated to the perceived threat, which will be greatly reduced by early summer.

So the question becomes is everyone, those who make and enforce rules, going to accept that 50% and just let everyone get on with returning to normal?
I really think what we are seeing now is the tanking of excitement and motivation to get vaccinated as I predicted being a problem. It has been a decline since mid April on daily vaccinations. That was the sweet spot for administering the most as it was still when cases where kind of high and masks were more prevalent. But it still wasn’t completely widely available, especially to the young and healthy low exposure groups I mentioned, not surprisingly who now seem to be the ones driving cases. They were always going to be a group with low motivation, even when things were worst. But now masks are largely gone and cases are nothing like they were and these lower risk people are not groups I see going out in droves all of the sudden to get vaccinated. Maybe we will top 55%, 60% if we do really good but I wouldn’t bet on it.

I am pleased that for the most part we have gotten to return to mostly normal, depending on location of course, despite the low rates. But I can see it’s going to take time for much of the general population to accept this. Unfortunately many of those who don’t want to get vaccinated or are hesitant for whatever reason see basically no value in the opinions of many vaccinated people and simply dig into their position further upon being approached about it. So no amount of attempting to shame or otherwise convince them will work, which a lot does have to do with perceptions of politics amongst each group.
[Reply]
Otter 05:42 AM 06-27-2021

I'm not going back through my posts but I've said from day one I'm giving this until at least November.

Please don't put words in my mouth.
[Reply]
TLO 06:31 AM 06-27-2021
Originally Posted by Otter:
I'm not going back through my posts but I've said from day one I'm giving this until at least November.

Please don't put words in my mouth.
Why November? I'm not reading back through your posts either and I'm genuinely curious why you've chosen the month of November.
[Reply]
wazu 07:37 AM 06-27-2021

I have friends who are awaiting full FDA approval. They aren’t terrified conspiracy theorists, they just look at the extremely low mortality rate of COVID and don’t feel motivated to run out for a vaccine that is not fully approved. Not that unreasonable.
[Reply]
old_geezer 08:20 AM 06-27-2021

You call it an excuse; I call it a choice. To set the record straight I decided to get vaccinated late last fall. I'm in my mid 70's. I'm not afraid of the vaccine just as I've never been afraid of Covid-19. I basically got vaccinated to calm the fears of people whom I might meet face to face. I haven't worn a mask for a long time and I just avoid places that still require a mask. My choice, and I don't get upset at whether anyone does or doesn't. :-)
[Reply]
Page 3528 of 3903
« First < 2528302834283478351835243525352635273528 3529353035313532353835783628 > Last »
Up