ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3141 of 3903
« First < 2141264130413091313131373138313931403141 31423143314431453151319132413641 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
KS Smitty 10:57 AM 11-18-2020
Glad to see all the good news on vaccines. We've been pretty lucky here til recently, some comments from local hospitals:

Via Christys hospital president in Manhattan says "The number of people in the hospital with coronavirus here is surging, but so far the hospital’s capacity hasn’t been stretched too far. The big question, according to the hospital’s leader, is whether staff members start getting sick." Full article https://themercury.com/news/hospital...b09768ebb.html

The 2 hospitals in Pott County request commissioners to reverse course and adopt the governor’s executive order mandating the wearing of facial coverings in public.
The rising number of COVID-19 cases in the county has strained hospital resources and wearing masks is the best means of stemming the spread of the virus, administrators said.
“It’s basically an issue of staff and resources to run our hospitals and clinics,” said Todd Willert, CEO of Community HealthCare System, headquartered at Onaga.
The strain on hospitals also has affected people receiving care for other matters. EMS Director Hal Bumgarner said patient transfers are taking much longer due to the lack of ICU beds in communities such as Manhattan and Topeka. Last week, patients were transferred as far away as El Dorado and Nebraska, he said.
Steve Land, administrator of Wamego Health Center, said the rate for those tested positive for the virus has skyrocketed in the past two weeks — from 5% to 9% to 26%.
Leslie Campbell, Pott County health director, supported the position of the hospital administrators and said masks should be worn in public at all times.
“We’re having lots of transmission,” Campbell said. “We’ve had 50 new cases since Friday and there are probably another 150 cases we don’t know about.”
“Everyone’s being affected,” Campbell went on. “There have been more people in the hospital in the last three weeks than the whole time (since this started). Right now, wearing a mask would be the best thing."
FYI Pott County has never enacted a mask mandate only a mask recommendation.
https://themercury.com/news/pott-cou...002a70179.html

Stormont Vails CEOs press release includes: "We have hope that with vaccines on the horizon, we can eventually stop living this COVID-19 nightmare. But the next few weeks and months promise to be a continuation if people don’t wake up, realize that we are in a crisis and respond appropriately. Our healthcare team members need the help of everyone – and it starts with recognition that we are in a full-blown pandemic crisis and all of us set aside whatever it is that prompts us to act dangerously and commit to responsible behaviors. They aren’t difficult. Just do it! Wear a mask, social distance, wash your hands, avoid crowds and stay home when you can. Now." This was posted on Facebook so no linky-dink
[Reply]
dirk digler 11:01 AM 11-18-2020
Originally Posted by DaFace:
Well, since your daughter says it, that settles it.
She works on the front line on a Level 1 Trauma\Covid unit in KC so she would know what they try to do. Research gets the all the cases others can't handle.
[Reply]
Pants 11:04 AM 11-18-2020
Originally Posted by dirk digler:
She works on the front line on a Level 1 Trauma\Covid unit in KC so she would know what they try to do. Research gets the all the cases others can't handle.
Your daughter sounds awesome and you should be a really proud father. I know I would be. Please let her know that she is appreciated by people like us and we are very grateful for heroes like her. I'm being serious.

At the same time, she probably did not have much experience with SARS1 so I am not sure why the comparisons are even happening. SARS1 was very deadly but it did not spread like wildfire.
[Reply]
DaFace 11:05 AM 11-18-2020
Just saying that I don't trust your anecdotal stories any more than I trust Pete's. My grandpa's doctor thinks COVID is largely overblown, for example.
[Reply]
LTL 11:08 AM 11-18-2020
No it doesn't act the same otherwise they would know how to treat it but they really don't. My daughter deals with it every day and she tells me the doctor's\nurses are throwing shit against the wall to see if it sticks.
I dunno about acting the same just know your daughter is right about docs n nurses are throwing alot of different stuff at it to see what sticks.
[Reply]
dirk digler 11:24 AM 11-18-2020
Originally Posted by Pants:
Your daughter sounds awesome and you should be a really proud father. I know I would be. Please let her know that she is appreciated by people like us and we are very grateful for heroes like her. I'm being serious.

At the same time, she probably did not have much experience with SARS1 so I am not sure why the comparisons are even happening. SARS1 was very deadly but it did not spread like wildfire.
Thanks. Maybe the better response would be yes maybe the virus acts the same but our bodies immune response doesn't.

Originally Posted by DaFace:
Just saying that I don't trust your anecdotal stories any more than I trust Pete's. My grandpa's doctor thinks COVID is largely overblown, for example.
Well I thought it would be useful to hear from someone who is actually in the shit.

Just so I could explain better they go through their normal treatment protocols, but each patient is different, some work, some don't, it is largely a guessing game...still
[Reply]
Chris Meck 11:31 AM 11-18-2020
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
Do you think the music scene will eventually recover?

We've lost a few well-known venues over the last few weeks. Things are looking bleak for people that do this for a living. My gig is only part-time so it's more just frustrating to me not being able to play but I've got a buddy that is doing construction work and things aren't looking good.
Man, I don't know.

This is going to string out until at least summer, and I doubt many venues are going to be able to float it that long to be honest.

Things will for sure look a lot different. Probably a lot more pop-up events and non-traditional venue shows. Probably a lot less bigger events and established venues.
[Reply]
htismaqe 11:35 AM 11-18-2020
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
Man, I don't know.

This is going to string out until at least summer, and I doubt many venues are going to be able to float it that long to be honest.

Things will for sure look a lot different. Probably a lot more pop-up events and non-traditional venue shows. Probably a lot less bigger events and established venues.
There's a handful of venues around here that are really the "Crown Jewels" of the Des Moines scene, for whatever that's worth.

My daughter had played a few shows last winter leading up to what was going to be a one night festival at one of those venues.

That show got canceled and over the summer, they announced they would be closing forever.

Now she has to basically start over from the bottom and work her way up again. She's probably off to college by then, so the window has kind of passed her by. :-)
[Reply]
LTL 11:39 AM 11-18-2020
Man, I don't know.

Fat thumb caused me to hit downvote. Didn't mean that at all
[Reply]
Chris Meck 11:39 AM 11-18-2020
There's a handful of venues around here that are really the "Crown Jewels" of the Des Moines scene, for whatever that's worth.

My daughter had played a few shows last winter leading up to what was going to be a one night festival at one of those venues.

That show got canceled and over the summer, they announced they would be closing forever.

Now she has to basically start over from the bottom and work her way up again. She's probably off to college by then, so the window has kind of passed her by. :-)
Yeah. It's not a high margin business to begin with; and anyone still hanging on at this point is barely doing so.

Places with low overhead have the best chance, obviously. But at this point it's going to be well over a year between 'normal' operating levels.
[Reply]
BigCatDaddy 11:41 AM 11-18-2020
Originally Posted by LTL:
Fat thumb caused me to hit downvote. Didn't mean that at all
Why do you hate Chris's post?
[Reply]
htismaqe 11:43 AM 11-18-2020
Yeah. It's not a high margin business to begin with; and anyone still hanging on at this point is barely doing so.

Places with low overhead have the best chance, obviously. But at this point it's going to be well over a year between 'normal' operating levels.
One of the venues she played is a secondary business across from the owner's record / music store. It's the most likely one to recover once the lockdowns end but it's also one of the smallest venues on her list.
[Reply]
LTL 11:43 AM 11-18-2020
Originally Posted by BigCatDaddy:
Why do you hate Chris's post?
Don't hate it at all. Was scrolling and my thumb pressed to hard. Didn't mean to. Nothing more to it
[Reply]
Chris Meck 11:53 AM 11-18-2020
One of the venues she played is a secondary business across from the owner's record / music store. It's the most likely one to recover once the lockdowns end but it's also one of the smallest venues on her list.
Yeah I think the bigger, nicer the venue the less likely it's going to survive.

For example-

here in KC, a place like The Brick, which is a small, neighborhood bar and grill that does live music on the weekends-will make it because the owner owns the building and does a solid restaurant business during normal times. She's not dependent on the live music aspect. Kind of like your record store venue. The shows are secondary.

Knuckleheads probably makes it because it's in a low priced real estate area and I think Frank owns the building. I'm not certain of that, but I believe it's the case. Anyway, it's in the east bottoms. It's not a high priced real estate situation.

I'm very concerned about The Record Bar; that rent cannot be cheap. They've been doing social distanced outdoor shows in a parking lot behind Voltaire down in the west bottoms, but it can't be all that lucrative.

The rent in the Crossroads area has skyrocketed in the last decade and I'm concerned about anything down there surviving to be honest.

Westport from what I've seen has just largely ignored that there is a plague. I avoid that shitshow anyway for the most part. I feel bad for The Saloon, but the rest of it can all turn into a giant Pickleman's for all I care. The rent is sky-high in that district.
[Reply]
KCUnited 11:54 AM 11-18-2020
Feel the venues most likely to survive here are part of an ownership group, similar to bars/restaurants. There's been a big #saveourstages push, as well as, fundraisers and such, but its getting dire.
[Reply]
Page 3141 of 3903
« First < 2141264130413091313131373138313931403141 31423143314431453151319132413641 > Last »
Up