ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Media Center>Happy Retirement Skid Roadie
alpha_omega 07:30 PM 05-05-2021
Since I have XM, I don't listen to much local radio anymore, but congrats to Skid.

Kansas City-area classic rock DJ hits the brakes on 43-year broadcasting career

KANSAS CITY, Mo. — One Kansas City area radio personality is putting the brakes on his broadcasting career.

Skid Roadie, who has been heard on 101 The Fox for more than 20 years, announced on-air Wednesday afternoon that he will retire at the end of the month.

“Who would’ve thought hiding here in a middle-sized market in the middle of America in the middle of the afternoon would be the key to my longevity and stability in the radio industry?” Roadie said in a news release. “Rock ‘n’ roll has kept me young at heart, and matching company 401K money has made it possible for a 61-year-old to perform this final and early ‘mic drop.’”

A three-time recipient of the Kansas City Media Professionals on-air personality of the year award, Roadie also has been recognized by Billboard and the Missouri and Kansas broadcaster associations with various awards.

Before joining 101 The Fox, Roadie made his Kansas City debut with Classic Rocker KYYS-FM/KY-102. His radio career began in 1979 in Albuquerque.

https://www.kshb.com/news/local-news...casting-career
[Reply]
Dayze 08:03 AM 05-07-2021
I won VH tickets from him circa probably 2005-ish. They had a game they would play in the weeks leading up to the VH concert where they would play a small snipit of a VH song; like, very small. a chord. I heard it, and figured I'd call in; it was the opening first part of the chords to Panama. Likely literally the downstroke of the first chord, and the palm muted E afterwards.
[Reply]
alpha_omega 10:01 AM 05-07-2021
Originally Posted by Cheater5:
... But on that note, wasn't there a somewhat 'hot' DJ at 102 named Frankie?.....
Yes. My memories don't confirm her actual hotness but I do remember thinking she was at the time.
[Reply]
srvy 01:23 PM 05-07-2021
That's cool. I was kind of screwing around about Katie to be honest... But on that note, wasn't there a somewhat 'hot' DJ at 102 named Frankie? I called in to her show once, and won Asia's debut album but I had to go down to some car stereo store off Wornall road and pick it up (they were broadcasting from there that day). I was around 11 or 12 years old at the time, and when I showed up I was like "wow...I just met someone from the radio! And she was nice to me!" lol.
That was probably Brandsmart. She live broadcasted from there or Tiger Records a lot.
[Reply]
Pasta Little Brioni 01:44 PM 05-07-2021
That's cool. I was kind of screwing around about Katie to be honest... But on that note, wasn't there a somewhat 'hot' DJ at 102 named Frankie? I called in to her show once, and won Asia's debut album but I had to go down to some car stereo store off Wornall road and pick it up (they were broadcasting from there that day). I was around 11 or 12 years old at the time, and when I showed up I was like "wow...I just met someone from the radio! And she was nice to me!" lol.
Frankie? So, the album broke apart in mid air?
[Reply]
srvy 02:19 PM 05-07-2021
KBEY Then KUDL were my underground Radio stations then KY102 blew them out of the airwaves with their format and 100,000 watts. They killed off the underground radio and were the rise of album rock in KC. Fredrocks, Moffit, Raley, Poesinger, Hart, McGuckin and Guthrie. And of course Max Floyd. Frankie seems mostly just did live feeds and married Bill Maas for a bit.
[Reply]
Bowser 12:17 PM 05-08-2021
Frankie was pretty smokin hot back in the day. Bill Maas thought so, anyway. Lol
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 12:33 PM 05-08-2021
lol, dane mccloud is like kevin bacon
[Reply]
lcarus 06:17 AM 05-09-2021
Originally Posted by frozenchief:
I still have the KY102 bumper sticker on an old gun case of mine. That brings back memories.
I always liked this commercial.

[Reply]
lcarus 06:25 AM 05-09-2021
All this talk about radio reminds me. I haven't lived in KC for 21 years now, but it doesn't feel right that the Chiefs aren't with 101 The Fox any longer.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Up