ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 17 of 22
« First < 71314151617 18192021 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>*****The Cornell Powell Thread*****
Dante84 01:31 PM 05-01-2021
MY GUY!!!!!

More to come!

Originally Posted by :
Powell was a top-50 prospect nationally coming out of Greenville, North Carolina, but struggled during his first four years on campus to get playing time ahead of talented pass catchers Mike Williams, Tee Higgins, Justyn Ross, Hunter Renfrow, Deon Cain, Ray-Ray McCloud, Amari Rodgers, Artavis Scott and Diondre Overton (plus Jordan Leggett at tight end). He played in nine games as a reserve in 2016 (12 receptions, 87 yards, 7.3 average) and 14 games in 2017 (eight receptions, 57 yards, one touchdown, 7.1 average; three kick returns, 65 yards, 21.7 average). Powell redshirted his third year with the national-champion Tigers but played in four games (five receptions, 63 yards, 12.6 average; four kick returns, 117 yards, 29.3 average) as a backup while maintaining the year of eligibility. He was a larger part of Clemson's offense in 2019 (15 receptions, 122 yards, 8.1 average, two touchdowns). With Higgins off to the pros and Ross sidelined due to a spinal condition, Powell played well enough to earn third-team All-ACC honors (53 receptions, 882 yards, 16.6 average, seven touchdowns). He accepted an invitation to the Senior Bowl. -- by Chad Reuter

Overview
Unique evaluation as a wideout who came into the program as a four-star recruit, never beat out talent in front of him and then put together impressive tape in his single season as full-time starter. Powell is well-skilled beyond the career production as he's clearly taken in the coaching and learned from others at the position. He's smooth but will have to win with route polish and competitiveness as his long speed and separation burst appear to be very average, which could lead to a higher number of contested catches outside the Clemson offense. The tape is good but the testing will be important as teams grapple with the single season of production. Powell will be an NFL backup, at worst.
Strengths
  • Moves around the field with smooth gait.
  • Leverages route turns against tight man coverage.
  • Sneaky hand fighting to create separation.
  • Clears out catch space at the top of his routes.
  • Showed and proved as downfield ball-tracker and body-stacker.
  • Athletic in air with outstanding body control and catch instincts.
  • Plucks it at high-point and hides it away from swatting hands.
  • Plus hand-eye coordination through noisy catch-points.
  • Quarterback's friend with sudden but soft hands.
  • Will go get the football where it is thrown.
  • Gets run-ready even before completing hitch catch.
  • Not overly elusive but makes tacklers miss after catch.
  • Has ability as a stalk and wall-off blocker.
Weaknesses
  • Only one year over 15 catches and 125 yards in a season.
  • High-cut with limited wiggle in his movements.
  • Expect average release success against press.
  • Drive gear doesn't seem to generate panic in cornerbacks.
  • Route fakes lack salesmanship.
  • Below-average separation burst.
  • Route asks were rather basic at Clemson.
  • Dropped easy would-be touchdown catch headed into end zone against Virginia Tech.

.@CornellPowell17 is coming in to compete, and we simply can't wait! pic.twitter.com/45HcSEWAia

— Kansas City Chiefs (@Chiefs) May 2, 2021

[Reply]
O.city 11:47 AM 05-13-2021
Originally Posted by Detoxing:
If this were the Pioli/Peterson era Chiefs i'd agree.

But with this scheme, this coaching staff, this supporting cast, this track record of succes, i think at the very least his floor is Jason Avant.
I just make it a rule for myself not to get to high or low on anyone drafted after the 4th round either way.
[Reply]
staylor26 11:49 AM 05-13-2021
When you watch the senior bowl 1v1's, it's apparent that Powell does not have the wiggle that some of his counter parts do.

Guys like Tylan Wallace look significantly looser than our tank-ish WR in Powell.

I don't know what that means, or if anything at all as it relates to his ability to separate. It's just an observation.

Powell really gives me Jason Avant vibes. He was a serviceable player for Reid. One of Reid's favorites.
But even without that wiggle, he was still one of the best of Senior Bowl week in 1 on 1’s. He won most of his reps and was consistent throughout the week.
[Reply]
ModSocks 11:50 AM 05-13-2021
Originally Posted by O.city:
I just make it a rule for myself not to get to high or low on anyone drafted after the 4th round either way.
I guess it depends on what those expectations are.

I don't have any statistical expectations. Matter of fact, i expect him to be buried on the depth chart for a little while.

My expectations are about the quality of play he'll deliver in his limited amount of touches. What does he do when they throw his way? What's his YPA when they hand it off to him?

That kinda stuff.
[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 01:06 PM 05-13-2021
Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19:
His path to winning starts with his release/footwork it would seem and is going to have less to do with pure athleticism like acceleration or speed.

I still think there’s something about him that reminds me of AJ Brown, the frame and build I suppose. Similar athleticism. But Brown gets great releases and is excellent at the catch point.

I think Powell’s ceiling is what Brown is. Will be unlikely he ever gets there though.
If Powell is ANYWHERE near AJ Brown, it's a ****ing win. I honestly didn't know that he was that fast (4.49). Brown and Samuel are two of my favorite non-Chief receivers.
[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 01:08 PM 05-13-2021
AJ Brown.

Deebo Samuel.

Anquan Bolden.

Those are all similar comps.

AJ and Deebo are the Anquans of the current era. Except that in 2021 those types of guys get often used as running backs. These so-called revolutionary offenses of McVeigh and Shanahan use these types of players to execute those schemes.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if the 2021 Chiefs offense has some Shanahan/McVeigh type run concepts sprinkled in and featuring Powell.
Again, if he's anywhere close to that, it's sexy time.
[Reply]
htismaqe 01:12 PM 05-13-2021
Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla:
Again, if he's anywhere close to that, it's sexy time.

[Reply]
Bowser 01:43 PM 05-13-2021
When you watch the senior bowl 1v1's, it's apparent that Powell does not have the wiggle that some of his counter parts do.

Guys like Tylan Wallace look significantly looser than our tank-ish WR in Powell.

I don't know what that means, or if anything at all as it relates to his ability to separate. It's just an observation.

Powell really gives me Jason Avant vibes. He was a serviceable player for Reid. One of Reid's favorites.
But here's the thing......Powell doesn't HAVE to have the wiggle and twitch in "this" offense with the players he'll have around him and the QB he has throwing to him. All he has to do is run solid routes and have reliable hands, and he will fill that #2 role perfectly and get plenty of looks from the double teams Hill and Kelce will be dealing with.
[Reply]
htismaqe 01:54 PM 05-13-2021
Originally Posted by Bowser:
But here's the thing......Powell doesn't HAVE to have the wiggle and twitch in "this" offense with the players he'll have around him and the QB he has throwing to him. All he has to do is run solid routes and have reliable hands, and he will fill that #2 role perfectly and get plenty of looks from the double teams Hill and Kelce will be dealing with.
Exactly. He brings something different to the offense. That's a good thing.
[Reply]
JakeF 10:09 AM 05-14-2021
Breakdown of a few of Powell's routes during the Senior Bowl.

[Reply]
Dante84 08:08 PM 05-14-2021
Originally Posted by JakeF:
Breakdown of a few of Powell's routes during the Senior Bowl.

That was cool, I enjoyed the breakdown and that level of detail
[Reply]
Halfcan 11:57 PM 05-14-2021
He is going to fit in great! What a steal!
[Reply]
RunKC 09:19 AM 05-30-2021
Another great catch by this kid in OTA’s. He’s got potential
Attached: F33131E3-0562-4889-8BA5-3F1B4305051E.jpg (62.1 KB) 
[Reply]
slapnutz_4 12:17 PM 05-30-2021
I guess on the times ours podcast Nate Taylor comped him to someone. Anyone happen to listen to it?
[Reply]
Dante84 12:24 PM 05-30-2021
Originally Posted by slapnutz_4:
I guess on the times ours podcast Nate Taylor comped him to someone. Anyone happen to listen to it?
Sammy.

He was just saying that the Chiefs must have watched tape and saw him running the same routes at Clemson. He said it feels like the team is more excited about Powell then they are letting on.
[Reply]
Easy 6 04:22 PM 05-30-2021
Originally Posted by RunKC:
Another great catch by this kid in OTA’s. He’s got potential
I'm not even worried that he isn't as twitchy as Sammy or whoever, that maybe he can't get wide open quite as easily... at all

When you watch him play, it becomes apparent that his very muscular 6'0 210 build is enough to simply outmuscle most DBs

Throw in that high point leaping ability, and its kinda easy to understand why hopes are so high for a 5th rounder... he doesn't have to get Kelce or Reek open, just catch the tough throws that come his way
[Reply]
Page 17 of 22
« First < 71314151617 18192021 > Last »
Up