ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 8 of 14
« First < 45678 9101112 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Toronto Raptors to play in KC for 2021 season?
Deberg_1990 08:31 PM 10-27-2020

KC mayor Quinton Lucas, US Senators Roy Blunt, Pat Roberts and Jerry Moran, and US Rep Emanuel Cleaver co-signed a letter to the NBA commissioner's office and Raptors ownership making the case for Kansas City to be the temporary home, if needed.

— Sam Mellinger (@mellinger) October 27, 2020

Never thought I’d type this but Kansas City is legit pursuing an NBA team. Here’s the latest, including three irrefutable takeaways: https://t.co/ZrkvFqUE6F

— Sam Mellinger (@mellinger) October 27, 2020

[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 04:39 PM 10-28-2020
Originally Posted by scho63:
WRONG! :-)

Live NHL Hockey is the biggest change and most dramatic going from TV to in-person.
I can't really argue with that because hockey is another sport that is freaking amazing live while kinda "meh" on TV.

I just prefer the game of basketball over hockey.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 04:45 PM 10-28-2020
Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower:
I had strenuous doubts that Kansas City could support a fourth professional team before the current shitshow.

Without disagreeing with your thesis that the NBA game is much more enjoyable to watch vs the college game, you can't deny that the college basketball as a collective (but namely KU's team) is already the "fourth" professional franchise.. which further assumes you're putting Sporting above KU.
The whole "KU is better than the NBA" trope has been around since well before I was born and I do agree that it will take some time to make inroads to the NBA, but I also think that will happen sooner than many expect.

The people here flat out aren't wealthy enough to that many franchises and the downtown core is losing -not gaining- the businesses who are the sources of luxury box receipts.
I disagree. I can't speak for the Missouri side but there are tens of thousands, if hundreds of thousands, of people on the Kansas side that can easily afford NBA tickets, which will most likely be their marketing focus.

But local TV exposure can lure in more fans, especially those watching games on TNT, which IMO has the best Pre-Game and Post-Game crew in all of sports.

And it's going to be years, if ever, where typical "asses in the seats" revenue comes close to its heyday considering the (most likely permanent) restrictions on indoor mass gatherings.
Well, it doesn't necessarily need to happen, either, as the NBA is locked into their current broadcast deals. Merchandising and TV viewership will be a valuable component but if both of those are low, I'd imagine the likelihood of an permanent NBA team in KC would be all but dead, which would be a shame.
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 05:02 PM 10-28-2020
Love me some good omnislashing format. Party like it's 1999 bitches!

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
The whole "KU is better than the NBA" trope has been around since well before I was born and I do agree that it will take some time to make inroads to the NBA, but I also think that will happen sooner than many expect.

I disagree. I can't speak for the Missouri side but there are tens of thousands, if hundreds of thousands, of people on the Kansas side that can easily afford NBA tickets, which will most likely be their marketing focus.
Thought experiment: if you get 10 KU alums with the requisite money, how many of them opt for NBA season tickets compared to Jayhawks tickets assuming they are roughly the same total cost? I'd wager no more than four but that's my take. From those four you start doing to math on how the costs of the pro game to the college one depends on which one is relatively cheaper than the other. Again, I'd guess a more expensive NBA attraction would halve that four KU alums to two while a more expensive KU price might mean five ticket holders choosing pro over college.

This, of course, glosses over the people who are fans of other CBB programs or people who don't give a **** about college athletics period, but then you're moving on to a "who will choose an (or a likely shitty) expansion franchise versus tickets to Arrowhead or wants really good seats for Sporting or Royals games?" question.

But local TV exposure can lure in more fans, especially those watching games on TNT, which IMO has the best Pre-Game and Post-Game crew in all of sports.
No arguments there. Personally, as much as I love the Inside the NBA crew, I do think the game has a problem where the offseason drama concerning which top 20 player is going to ally up with two other top 20 players to build a super team has a lot more intrigue than which franchise will win that year's championship. That's just me though.

Well, it doesn't necessarily need to happen, either, as the NBA is locked into their current broadcast deals. Merchandising and TV viewership will be a valuable component but if both of those are low, I'd imagine the likelihood of an permanent NBA team in KC would be all but dead, which would be a shame.
I don't have the insight on how the broadcast deals are structured legally, but my one suspicion about the drop-off of pro sports ratings in general is that a ~four month hiatus of the big four professional sports has led people to seek out other avenues for their time. So if KC lands a franchise before the midpoint of whatever deal is in place could make my hypothesis moot..
[Reply]
Mecca 05:12 PM 10-28-2020
To be fair the NBA is fun right now, most teams are either good/entertaining or have a superstar worth seeing.

Unless you follow it you don't get that probably 25 or 26 teams have something making them worth the watch and fun.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 05:43 PM 10-28-2020
Thought experiment: if you get 10 KU alums with the requisite money, how many of them opt for NBA season tickets compared to Jayhawks tickets assuming they are roughly the same total cost?
The Kansas City metro area is made up of more people than just KU alums.

And really, the bottom line is that the "One and Done" rule has all but ruined the game of college basketball. We're no longer living in an era in which the Danny Mannings of the world stay in college for three years or more.

People that are fans of basketball will see the talent disparity, especially Live and in person.

I don't have the insight on how the broadcast deals are structured legally, but my one suspicion about the drop-off of pro sports ratings in general is that a ~four month hiatus of the big four professional sports has led people to seek out other avenues for their time. So if KC lands a franchise before the midpoint of whatever deal is in place could make my hypothesis moot..
TV ratings have dropped at least 23% across the board, regardless of whether or not it's sports, reality TV or normal scripted fare. That said, the NFL brings the most eyeballs to TV, with the NBA and MLB not too far behind. 47 out of the top 50 viewed programs this year have been sports and by the end of the year, it'll be 50/50 or 75/75 or 100/100.

With that being the case, advertisers will always pay a premium to advertise during sporting events, which in turn allows the networks to pay exorbitant Broadcast Right Fees to the NFL, NBA and so on.
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 05:46 PM 10-28-2020
The Kansas City metro area is made up of more people than just KU alums.
Originally Posted by :
This, of course, glosses over the people who are fans of other CBB programs or people who don't give a **** about college athletics period, but then you're moving on to a "who will choose an (or a likely shitty) expansion franchise versus tickets to Arrowhead or wants really good seats for Sporting or Royals games?" question.
Also consider how much Arrowhead's past (and maybe current, not sure) was thanks to a good cadre of people who probably don't live in what is broadly considered KC's metro area.
[Reply]
Titty Meat 06:23 PM 10-28-2020
Originally Posted by Mecca:
To be fair the NBA is fun right now, most teams are either good/entertaining or have a superstar worth seeing.

Unless you follow it you don't get that probably 25 or 26 teams have something making them worth the watch and fun.
Didnt even watch a minute of the "bubble" appealing to extremist groups was a bad move.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 06:41 PM 10-28-2020
Originally Posted by Titty Meat:
Didnt even watch a minute of the "bubble" appealing to extremist groups was a bad move.
The NBA Finals won the ratings every night, other than when they were matched up against the NFL on Sunday night.

You are dead wrong.
[Reply]
Titty Meat 06:48 PM 10-28-2020
The NBA Finals won the ratings every night, other than when they were matched up against the NFL on Sunday night.

You are dead wrong.
I dont care about ratings which were down BTW when I say the league appealed to extremists groups I'm speaking of BLM and putting that nonsense on the court and having empty slogans placed on the back of jerseys. I didnt watch a minute of it and would rather watch MMA.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 06:51 PM 10-28-2020
I dont care about ratings which were down BTW when I say the league appealed to extremists groups I'm speaking of BLM and putting that nonsense on the court and having empty slogans placed on the back of jerseys. I didnt watch a minute of it and would rather watch MMA.
ALL ratings ARE down.

How about staying out of the thread instead of constantly trolling?
[Reply]
Titty Meat 06:53 PM 10-28-2020
ALL ratings ARE down.

How about staying out of the thread instead of constantly trolling?
Having a different opinion isnt trolling. You were the one who brought up ratings. We get it you like the NBA and you cant handle someone having a different opinion. You've displayed this countless times
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 06:55 PM 10-28-2020
Having a different opinion isnt trolling. You were the one who brought up ratings. We get it you like the NBA and you cant handle someone having a different opinion. You've displayed this countless times
Your "opinion" has absolutely NOTHING to do with the game of basketball.

I don't know what the fuck has happened to you but you're nothing more than a shitty ass troll that ruins nearly every thread in which you post.

Fuck off, you hairless cunt.
[Reply]
Titty Meat 06:58 PM 10-28-2020
Your "opinion" has absolutely NOTHING to do with the game of basketball.

I don't know what the **** has happened to you but you're nothing more than a shitty ass troll that ruins nearly every thread in which you post.

**** off, you hairless ****.
Everyone started giving their opinions beginning with you. You didnt lose your cool until someone had a differing opinion. This is what you always do.

The NBA is pretty irrelevant we hardly see the games discussed rather a comparison of LeBron vs a guy who retired over 20 years ago. Not very compelling. Probably why ratings have tanked.
[Reply]
lcarus 07:13 PM 10-28-2020
Everyone started giving their opinions beginning with you. You didnt lose your cool until someone had a differing opinion. This is what you always do.

The NBA is pretty irrelevant we hardly see the games discussed rather a comparison of LeBron vs a guy who retired over 20 years ago. Not very compelling. Probably why ratings have tanked.
Not to get into this argument but Jordan retired 17 and a half years ago if you count the Wizards years. :-)
[Reply]
Bearcat 07:17 PM 10-28-2020
Everyone started giving their opinions beginning with you. You didnt lose your cool until someone brought their shitty political opinion into it.
FYP

("someone" being you, if that wasn't obvious enough)
[Reply]
Page 8 of 14
« First < 45678 9101112 > Last »
Up