ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 56 of 173
« First < 6465253545556 5758596066106156 > Last »
In Memoriam>Good news [Lonewolf Ed]
Lonewolf Ed 04:51 PM 01-24-2015
I thought I'd start a new thread for updates on my cancer treatments and whatever else is going on, since the bad news thread title is misleading now.

My last treatment went better than the previous two and my chest wound is still closed up, which is a good thing. My arm is getting slightly stronger and I hope to resume lifting dumbbells next week. I need to build up my strength again, because I am going back to Denmark in May and I am extremely pumped about that! I'd like to be able to schlepp my own checked bag and not have someone else lifting it for me.

It's going to be a fabulous trip, 6 weeks and a couple of days for me. My brother is going along as well as my friends Chipp and Rod. Chipp is staying close to 3 weeks and has not gone with me over there since 2006 so he is also very pumped to be going. It will be Rod's first trip and he will be there for 2 weeks. I will get to be a tour guide. Also, I am throwing a party in my favorite pub of all, the wonderful, ever-magnificent Irish House in Aalborg on May 7th. The owner and I are friends and he will give me a little discount. We'll have Irish stew and brews in the cellar and I hope to have around 25 family and friends there. I might bill it as the "Fu** Cancer Party." A few months back, I was not sure I'd ever be able to go over to Denmark again or if I'd even be alive, but the cancer hasn't gotten me yet. I'm doing a number on it, instead.

Some other cool things I plan to do when I am back in my ancestral lands include a wine tasting in a castle, touring another castle and the northernmost manor home in the country, and visiting Skagen, the top of Denmark, where you can stand on a little patch of beach and have one foot in one sea and one in another. They also have a brewpub up there I am wanting to check out. I will start and end my trip in Aalborg and spend 5 weeks in an apartment I rent that is very close to the beach. I can hardly wait for May 4th to roll around!
[Reply]
GloryDayz 10:33 AM 09-24-2015
Originally Posted by Lonewolf Ed:
Thanks. I feel pretty good today and am about to make breakfast. I can take some steroid med with it, but no anti-nausea ones. I put down two of those a few hours ago. It's strange, I have not throw up from eating; it has been hours after eating that I did. The first time was 16 hours after dinner. So, it is the chemo poisoning that was getting to me. I hope I don't puke in the cancer center today since I get my pump off at 4:45 pm. Or maybe it would serve 'em right!
Awesome. Glad to hear it...
[Reply]
patteeu 10:52 AM 09-24-2015
Thanks. I feel pretty good today and am about to make breakfast. I can take some steroid med with it, but no anti-nausea ones. I put down two of those a few hours ago. It's strange, I have not throw up from eating; it has been hours after eating that I did. The first time was 16 hours after dinner. So, it is the chemo poisoning that was getting to me. I hope I don't puke in the cancer center today since I get my pump off at 4:45 pm. Or maybe it would serve 'em right!
Do you smoke pot? You might want to consider it during these chemo cycles.
[Reply]
Lonewolf Ed 11:20 AM 09-24-2015
Originally Posted by patteeu:
Do you smoke pot? You might want to consider it during these chemo cycles.
I do not, actually. However, if they take a blood test a day or two after February 17th, it may look like I do. I will be at the Black Sabbath concert and when they play Sweet Leaf, it's going to get very hazy in the Sprint Center!

I did ask my doc about hemp oil with no THC and she said I would be at great risk of microbal infection.
[Reply]
Lonewolf Ed 09:52 AM 10-03-2015
It is now 11 days since I started the new treatment. I still have my hair, and it usually falls out on day 10, I was told. I only had the pukes on day 1 after treatment, followed by 2 days of hiccups after eating or drinking anything. Once again, hiccups are not on the list of side effects. I used to get them back in my earlier treatments if I ate anything with nuts, but was okay after the fifth day. I was given anti-runs meds before the treatment started since some poor souls have gotten the runs almost immediately upon receiving the treatment. I got the opposite and didn't go for four days. The dreaded rash I was warned about, however, has hit me hard. It looks something like chicken pox and small whitehead zits all over my face, nose, scalp, an eyelid, neck, and chest.

I would love to go for a walk in the gorgeous autumn weather here, but I have to avoid exposure to sunlight now. I do get out at sunset when I can walk and not be in the sunlight directly, but I'd prefer a walk before breakfast to build up my appetite for a big hearty meal.
[Reply]
GloryDayz 01:04 PM 10-03-2015
It is now 11 days since I started the new treatment. I still have my hair, and it usually falls out on day 10, I was told. I only had the pukes on day 1 after treatment, followed by 2 days of hiccups after eating or drinking anything. Once again, hiccups are not on the list of side effects. I used to get them back in my earlier treatments if I ate anything with nuts, but was okay after the fifth day. I was given anti-runs meds before the treatment started since some poor souls have gotten the runs almost immediately upon receiving the treatment. I got the opposite and didn't go for four days. The dreaded rash I was warned about, however, has hit me hard. It looks something like chicken pox and small whitehead zits all over my face, nose, scalp, an eyelid, neck, and chest.

I would love to go for a walk in the gorgeous autumn weather here, but I have to avoid exposure to sunlight now. I do get out at sunset when I can walk and not be in the sunlight directly, but I'd prefer a walk before breakfast to build up my appetite for a big hearty meal.
We're all very proud of you Lone. Keep fighting and let us know if you need anything. Fight like hell man...
[Reply]
New World Order 01:06 PM 10-03-2015
Hang in there Ed. We are all in your corner.
[Reply]
Sweet Daddy Hate 01:37 PM 10-03-2015
Originally Posted by GloryDayz:
We're all very proud of you Lone. Keep fighting and let us know if you need anything. Fight like hell man...
This.
[Reply]
Lonewolf Ed 02:51 PM 10-03-2015
Thanks, guys! I am focusing on something good coming up, that being my birthday dinner. I make it myself. I do that because no one else can make what I want. If I just wanted some burgers and brats, I'd let someone else take care of it. I am going to make a big Danish dinner and have a few friends over. Since I have my next treatment on Tuesday, I will prepare the red cabbage on Monday to be safe. How does one make red cabbage aside from chopping it up? I make a cranberry sauce out of boiled cranberries mixed with butter, vinegar, sugar, and salt and put the chopped cabbage in that and cook it until it turns a rich purple and then when it cools, it goes into jars.

Friday morning, I will start with the rest: Danish meatballs called frikadeller (ground pork, salt, pepper, onion, milk, flour, and an egg), mashed potatoes with Danish persillesavs, which is a white gravy with chopped parsley, mixed salad with some bell peppers from my garden, heat up some red cabbage, and for dessert, Apples Charlotte, a Danish apple-crumb cake. I sautee bread crumbs in sugar, butter, and cinnamon. It goes into the serving dish first, followed by apple sauce with bits of Braeburn apple added, then with a layer of whipped cream that I will actually whip myself, then crumbs, apple sauce, and whipped cream again, and finally topped off with shaved chocolate. It is supposed to have a splash or two of dry sherry, but since I have to avoid the alcohol, no one gets any! :-)

My birthday is not on Friday, but Monday the 12th. I won't have the dinner on Sunday because the Walking Dead season premiere is at 8, and I don't want to be away from the TV then. Saturday was not good for one of my guests, so Friday it is.
[Reply]
Meatloaf 02:54 PM 10-03-2015
Damn, that sounds awesome, Ed.
[Reply]
Sweet Daddy Hate 02:57 PM 10-03-2015
Thanks, guys! I am focusing on something good coming up, that being my birthday dinner. I make it myself. I do that because no one else can make what I want. If I just wanted some burgers and brats, I'd let someone else take care of it. I am going to make a big Danish dinner and have a few friends over. Since I have my next treatment on Tuesday, I will prepare the red cabbage on Monday to be safe. How does one make red cabbage aside from chopping it up? I make a cranberry sauce out of boiled cranberries mixed with butter, vinegar, sugar, and salt and put the chopped cabbage in that and cook it until it turns a rich purple and then when it cools, it goes into jars.

Friday morning, I will start with the rest: Danish meatballs called frikadeller (ground pork, salt, pepper, onion, milk, flour, and an egg), mashed potatoes with Danish persillesavs, which is a white gravy with chopped parsley, mixed salad with some bell peppers from my garden, heat up some red cabbage, and for dessert, Apples Charlotte, a Danish apple-crumb cake. I sautee bread crumbs in sugar, butter, and cinnamon. It goes into the serving dish first, followed by apple sauce with bits of Braeburn apple added, then with a layer of whipped cream that I will actually whip myself, then crumbs, apple sauce, and whipped cream again, and finally topped off with shaved chocolate. It is supposed to have a splash or two of dry sherry, but since I have to avoid the alcohol, no one gets any! :-)

My birthday is not on Friday, but Monday the 12th. I won't have the dinner on Sunday because the Walking Dead season premiere is at 8, and I don't want to be away from the TV then. Saturday was not good for one of my guests, so Friday it is.
Sounds awesome. Eat up!
[Reply]
BigMeatballDave 03:10 PM 10-03-2015

Hey, Ed.
How frequent are your infusions? Do you have a port, or are they sticking you every time.

Mine are every 2 weeks. I decided against a port.
[Reply]
Lonewolf Ed 05:52 PM 10-03-2015
Originally Posted by BigMeatballDave:
Hey, Ed.
How frequent are your infusions? Do you have a port, or are they sticking you every time.

Mine are every 2 weeks. I decided against a port.
Every two weeks, and I do have a port. I had one on my right side that got infected last November and almost killed me. The one on my left side was placed Dec. 1st and it has been great. The doc in charge of putting it in did a lot better job. The previous one, I could always tell there was something under my skin that was not me. With the new one, I have to reach up and touch it before I notice it.

With my veins blowing every time they put an I.V. in me, a port has been great, except for the whole nearly dying part with the first one.
[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 06:02 PM 10-03-2015

The walking dead is the best show ever. I'm with you on not missing that. Looking forward to sunday the 11th 8:00 pm
[Reply]
Chromatic 12:11 AM 10-04-2015
Originally Posted by GloryDayz:
!
[Reply]
Lonewolf Ed 10:33 AM 10-05-2015
I am actually glad to be going in tomorrow for treatment. The rash from the new treatment has gotten much worse. I don't think I should post the selfie I took since I know many of you check this site over lunch break. It hurts, burns, and itches, despite the use of two different creams that I had to get by prescription. I am hoping that it is beyond the expected rash so that something can be adjusted or done about it. If this is what I have to look forward to for the duration of this new line of treatment, I may have to insist on an alternative treatment. It's worse on my face, by far, but it is all over my scalp, in my ears, on my neck, shoulders, and chest, too. I have to be very careful washing my hair and toweling off. Pretty much any contact with the skin on my face breaks the little blisters and they bleed then. I am running the washing machine with my pillow case in it as I type. For you environmentally conscious types, I am running other things besides one pillow case.
[Reply]
Page 56 of 173
« First < 6465253545556 5758596066106156 > Last »
Up