ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 5 of 26
< 12345 678915 > Last »
Media Center>Megadeth > Metallica
Dayze 11:51 PM 01-26-2014
To start off:
I'm a HUGE Metallica fan. In fact my first 5 years of playing electric guitar was solely based on Metallica. I started off playing Bluegrass guitar with my dad, even though my soul wasn't bluegrass.

My first exposure to Metallica was hearing "Nothing Else Matters" on MTV before school waiting for my buddy to pick me up for school. I asked my brother if he had ever heard of them, and of course he had. He handed me a tape that had zero information of it. in that all the 'font' (for lack of a better word) was gone. It was a simple 'blank" tape. It was weathered, and the only thing I could determine that it was a Metallica tape was simply my brother's word. It was Master of Puppets Within 4 weeks, I had owned everything of Metallica and had thrown bluegrass by the wayside.

Long loving Metallica fan for years; devoted. Having heard Megadeth and loving a few of their songs, I was still committed to Metallica. However, years later, I've discovered that I may have been premature in my categorization of music.

Years had passed since I had really 'listened' to Megadeth. Years, as in 10+. Then, I stumbled upon a Megadeth record. While it escapes my memory at this point, the collective memory of the tunes has lead me to the belief that Megadeth is better than Metalica.

While some, to what degree I don't know, may have always held this belief, the discovery of Megadeth is a new one for me. After listening to many records, Im beginning to feel more confident in saying that Megadeth is better. Obviously, it's subjective.

Metallica's "Black" Album is equivalent to Pink Floy'd "The Wall" in terms of impact. However, Megadeth's "Symphony of Destruction", has been severely over-shadowed by the 'Black" album of Metallica. Subsequently, as it had been up to that point, Megadeth had fallen by the wayside. "Symphony of Destructions' release around the same time, was over-shadowed by the Black album.

After what was a universal success of the Black album, Megadeth seemed to finally have received the kill shot. But, if we are to look at the records and time frame comparatively, I think Megadeth got the short end of the stick.

Since then, Megadeth has sustained their status despite radio and marketing support. I've listened to several Megadeth albums/tunes from the "Black" album going forward, and I must say they are not getting the credit that is due. In some aspects, they blow Metallica out of the water. To be honest, they are quickly surpassing Metallica.

I've always been a huge fan of Megadeth since the Mechanix type songs. But since Peace Sells Who's Buying album, Megadeth has gotten the shaft. By a LONG shot.

TLDR....but oh well.
[Reply]
Easy 6 11:23 AM 01-28-2014
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
Did you know Tony played piano/keyboards on Vinnie Moore's first album? :-)
No sir, I surely didn't... but I do know it takes a hardcore enthusiast to know that name and his music.
[Reply]
htismaqe 11:25 AM 01-28-2014
Originally Posted by Swanman:
Both bands hold a special place in my heart. Metallica was my first concert in 91 on the black album tour (first show in the US in lovely Peoria, IL). I saw Megadeth a year later on the Countdown tour (with STP opening up and getting booed off the stage).

I am definitely more of a Megadeth guy now. They did go through a real rough patch with the roster turnover but have settled into a nice groove now with Chris Broderick on guitar. I saw them with Slayer on the 20th anniversary show of Seasons/Rust in Peace, and with Testament opening, it was almost too much metal for one evening.
Chris Broderick is an amazing guitarist but sometimes I swear to God he's a robot. No emotion.
[Reply]
InChiefsHeaven 11:32 AM 01-28-2014
I started out on Megadeth, almost in protest over the popularity of Metallica in 1986. Master of Puppets was owning the world, and Peace Sells was big, but not as big. So I settled on Megadeth. Over the years, my Metallica love has certainly grown, but it all ended after the Black album, which I really regard as a great album...then they went all...goofy. Megadeth is indeed still Megadeth. I'm 43, so I don't really pay much attention to it all anymore, but I definitely have strong affectionate memories of cruising Dodge street, windows open, stereo blasting Peace Sells...goddam great times!
[Reply]
htismaqe 11:40 AM 01-28-2014
Originally Posted by scott free:
No sir, I surely didn't... but I do know it takes a hardcore enthusiast to know that name and his music.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXEtpKNL1MA&start=1598
[Reply]
Easy 6 11:46 AM 01-28-2014
Ah, I'll have to give that a listen later this afternoon :-)
[Reply]
htismaqe 11:52 AM 01-28-2014
Ah, I'll have to give that a listen later this afternoon :-)
I fixed the link. Don't listen to the whole album (unless you want to, it's pretty good). I just wanted to link to 1 track that demonstrates Tony's "skill" on the ivory.
[Reply]
Reaper16 12:05 PM 01-28-2014
Did you know Tony played piano/keyboards on Vinnie Moore's first album? :-)
Shit, I didn't know that. Now I have a new ace-up-sleeve to stump musician friends in trivia.
[Reply]
Swanman 03:18 PM 01-28-2014
Chris Broderick is an amazing guitarist but sometimes I swear to God he's a robot. No emotion.
He does tend to have the John Petrucci thing going on where everything is just too easy for him.

I still remember when they played Tornado of Souls live the first time I saw them after he joined the band, wow.
[Reply]
Swanman 03:30 PM 01-28-2014
Rust in Peace live goodness:

[Reply]
Dayze 03:35 PM 01-28-2014
would've been cool if James let Newsteads's bass come through at Justice.

that entire record has no bass; or at least, I can't hear any.
[Reply]
Easy 6 03:53 PM 01-28-2014
I have a personal reason for preferring Metallica beyond the music... back when they had just broken off from opening for Ozzy because Master was blowing up, I got to see them on the very first leg of their tour headlining career at the Decatur, Ill civic center.

No seating all standing, it was the stage with no barricade whatsoever and a row of dudes in front of me and my bud, I was basically right there in front of the stage... so they go offstage for a quick break, when they come back out they're all carrying huge plastic cups of beer, so Burton see's me and my pal hitting on a smokeless "baseball bat" type pipe and with a big grin leans out and gives it to us... other guys were trying to grab for it, but nope, he wanted to make sure we got it.

The show was just mindblowing being right there like that, a true sonic assault, I'd been to several concerts, but never to anything SO heavy, THAT type of heavy was brand new where I come from at the time, and never SO close to the stage... it was just FURIOUS from start to finish, I'll never forget how often Lars had to huff on his oxygen mask just to keep up.
[Reply]
Dayze 03:56 PM 01-28-2014
I love the song Peace Sells But Who's Buying.
it always gets me to crank it up.
[Reply]
Dayze 03:57 PM 01-28-2014
and Mustaine blows away Hetfield on guitar in every possible way.
[Reply]
Gadzooks 04:27 PM 01-28-2014
Does mentioning Blues Saraceno, Richie Kotzen, Akira Takasaki and Harry K. Cody establish me as a hardcore enthusiast?:-)
[Reply]
Easy 6 04:32 PM 01-28-2014
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXEtpKNL1MA&start=1598
Yeah, Chopin Prelude... that's beautiful work, very nice... this is why I always have to disagree with those who always say all heavy rock is blues based, the lightning fast scales and runs in much heavy music owes far more to classical music than to the blues.
[Reply]
Page 5 of 26
< 12345 678915 > Last »
Up