ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 5 of 11
< 12345 6789 > Last »
The Marty Lounge>AFC rivals haven't closed gap on Chiefs...
IowaHawkeyeChief 08:03 AM 05-03-2021
A good read here in case you missed it, I will put the text in a spoiler...

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/...his-offseason/

Spoiler!

[Reply]
IowaHawkeyeChief 11:30 AM 05-03-2021
Originally Posted by KChiefs1:
https://theathletic.com/2562306/2021...-from-1-to-32/

Eagles, Browns, Lions, Bears: Dane Brugler ranks his favorite 2021 NFL Draft classes from 1 to 32

This is my spin on grading the NFL Draft hauls for each team. Instead of handing out letter grades, I power-ranked the 32 clubs based on my favorite draft classes, from best to worst.
Problem with these rankings is my favorite pick for the Chiefs was really #31 getting Orlando Brown Jr... That should be part of the equation and easily puts the Chiefs in the top 10...
[Reply]
Chris Meck 11:31 AM 05-03-2021
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
Yet you're still relying on Baker. So in reality, the AFC isn't all that strong at the top.
If Mayfield has another strong season, will you finally admit you're wrong?
[Reply]
htismaqe 11:38 AM 05-03-2021
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
If Mayfield has another strong season, will you finally admit you're wrong?
He needs to have more than a strong season. There's a dozen QB's in the league that could do what he does, especially with that supporting cast.
[Reply]
Bowser 11:47 AM 05-03-2021
Originally Posted by CupidStunt:
Cleveland did some good shit and on paper they are pretty complete, I agree. But their QB will always be the worst on the field in any contender-vs-contender matchup, whether it's us, Buffalo, Tampa, Green Bay, etc. And not just marginally, either. Mayfield's a pretty steep drop off after the likes of Mahomes, Rodgers etc.
Mayfield looked like he had us figured out in the second half of our playoff game with them. If Henne hadn't pulled off that signature scramble of his career and Andy hadn't called that ballsy 4th down pass, I was about to get very worried if we had punted back to them.
[Reply]
Bowser 11:49 AM 05-03-2021
Just keep Rodgers out of the AFC West if it goes totally tits up in Green Bay. Rodgers on either Vegas or Denver instantly elevates them to serious threat. Both those teams have solid weapons but are solidly meh at the most important position.
[Reply]
smithandrew051 11:50 AM 05-03-2021
Originally Posted by Bowser:
Mayfield looked like he had us figured out in the second half of our playoff game with them. If Henne hadn't pulled off that signature scramble of his career and Andy hadn't called that ballsy 4th down pass, I was about to get very worried if we had punted back to them.
I think our offense going completely stagnant sans Mahomes had a lot to do with that.

Once Mahomes went out, they were able to stick with their gameplan. When Mahomes was in, we were pulling away. They would’ve been forced to abandon the run eventually.

Mayfield is fine with the system when things are going well. He isn’t going to engineer a comeback against an elite QB though.
[Reply]
htismaqe 11:51 AM 05-03-2021
Originally Posted by Bowser:
Just keep Rodgers out of the AFC West if it goes totally tits up in Green Bay. Rodgers on either Vegas or Denver instantly elevates them to serious threat. Both those teams have solid weapons but are solidly meh at the most important position.
The Raiders secondary still has big question marks.

It's kind of funny. Denver had a former QB that couldn't draft QB's.

LV has a former DB that can't draft DB's.
[Reply]
Bowser 11:53 AM 05-03-2021
Originally Posted by smithandrew051:
I think our offense going completely stagnant sans Mahomes had a lot to do with that.

Once Mahomes went out, they were able to stick with their gameplan. When Mahomes was in, we were pulling away. They would’ve been forced to abandon the run eventually.

Mayfield is fine with the system when things are going well. He isn’t going to engineer a comeback against an elite QB though.
Fair points, and even the defense was pressing with Mahomes out.
[Reply]
Bowser 11:54 AM 05-03-2021
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
The Raiders secondary still has big question marks.

It's kind of funny. Denver had a former QB that couldn't draft QB's.

LV has a former DB that can't draft DB's.
It makes no sense, lol. Kind of like Mike Singletary being a shitty head coach. How does that even happen??
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 11:55 AM 05-03-2021
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
Oh for sure, I don't disagree.

My argument is more about the fact that it seems to be status quo right now, at least in the AFC West. All we really got was more of the same. None of the teams really re-shaped anything.
Yep, especially considering that the Ravens drafted an Edge player that didn't have a single sack last year and the Bills drafted a guy that didn't even play last season.

Those teams drafted on hopes and prayers.

The Chiefs drafted to fortify a weakness, not reach for players that might be able to help them at some point down the line.
[Reply]
Bowser 11:56 AM 05-03-2021
It's fun watching other AFC teams predicate their drafts on catching us somehow.
[Reply]
htismaqe 11:57 AM 05-03-2021
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
Yep, especially considering that the Ravens drafted an Edge player that didn't have a single sack last year and the Bills drafted a guy that didn't even play last season.

Those teams drafted on hopes and prayers.

The Chiefs drafted to fortify a weakness, not reach for players that might be able to help them at some point down the line.
At least the Ravens and Bills tried to throw numbers at weaknesses. I don't get what the Broncos did at all.
[Reply]
IowaHawkeyeChief 11:59 AM 05-03-2021
We were most vulnerable in the playoffs last year. Oline was beat up in the Divisional Round and the AFC Championship Game. Yet we handled business. Losing Fisher and Patty's toe we couldn't overcome. If we stay healthy we widened any gap from last year... period.
[Reply]
MahomesMagic 12:02 PM 05-03-2021
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
Barring an upstart team like the Chargers, who are really a complete unknown due to their new head coach and staff, or the Dolphins, in which Tua would need to turn into Fran Tarkenton overnight, the biggest threat to the Chiefs going back to the Super Bowl, IMO, is the Cleveland Browns.

The Bills have peaked. Josh Allen crumbles under the weight of carrying a team to a playoff victory and until he proves he can be that guy, he won't be that guy. The Ravens can't throw the ball, Big Ben is 150 years old, the South is in transition, as it always is, and the East is meh.

And while Baker Mayfield is inconsistent, he has the ability to put together a streaky run, so if that happens late in the season and he gets hot, they're going to be a huge handful.
Agreed. Bills' fans think Allen is a top 5 QB but the truth is Baker scares me more than Allen.

Spags has the Buffalo offense figured out. Play lot of man coverage, blitz off the slot, and change things from Allen's pre-snap read and Allen stumbles.

Baker is a better playoff QB, Allen can rip up simple zone better.

Ravens just played vanilla man and Allen got uncomfotable.

Allen isn't bad but he is not someone I worry about at all for KC. I was shocked how poorly DC's gameplanned for him last year. If people watch the playoff film the answer's for Buffalo offense are there.

Buffalo's defense is still mediocre.
[Reply]
htismaqe 12:07 PM 05-03-2021
Originally Posted by MahomesMagic:
Agreed. Bills' fans think Allen is a top 5 QB but the truth is Baker scares me more than Allen.

Spags has the Buffalo offense figured out. Pay lot of man coverage, blitz off the slot, and change things from Allen's pre-snap read and Allen stumbles.

Baker is a better playoff QB, Allen can rip up simple zone better.

Ravens just played vanilla man and Allen got uncomfotable.

Allen isn't bad but he is not someone I worry about at all for KC. I was shocked how poorly DC's gameplanned for him last year. If people watch the playoff film the answer's for Buffalo offense are there.

Buffalo's defense is still mediocre.
Baker is running an actual pro-style offense with good RB's and good receiving options. Not saying he sucks at all but his situtation is so much better than Buffalo and it's BECAUSE of Josh Allen.

Buffalo's strengths AND weaknesses all revolve around Allen. They play an unconventional offense, it lacks variety and the ability to create balance when opposing defenses get the upper hand. They don't have the ability to keep defenses honest at all. The Browns have a much more varied offense than the Bills do. Sometimes the playoffs evolve into complex chess matches and the Bills just can't do that. Neither can the Ravens for that matter.

They have distinct styles on both offense and defense that for better or worse, can't change.

The Browns are much closer to the Chiefs that they can dictate gameplans but can also respond to changes when the chips are down.
[Reply]
Page 5 of 11
< 12345 6789 > Last »
Up