ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 5 of 7
< 12345 67 >
Patteeu Memorial Political Forum>What will it take to be a Zero Carbon Country
displacedinMN 02:59 PM 04-30-2021
I read this as "Impossible"

Dont know what the politics is behind all of this-but it looks impossible to do without destroying the US farmland and killing the food supply in the process.

Hope you can read the article. There is also a twitter thread. All too long to copy.

https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2...alflow-organic

https://twitter.com/i/events/1388170793322909699
[Reply]
tmax63 02:08 PM 05-02-2021
Originally Posted by NinerDoug:
https://climate.nasa.gov/vital-signs...l-temperature/

Nineteen of the warmest years have occurred since 2000, with the exception of 1998. The year 2020 tied with 2016 for the warmest year on record since record-keeping began in 1880 (source: NASA/GISS). This research is broadly consistent with similar constructions prepared by the Climatic Research Unit and the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.
You're trying to talk about climate change in decades when in reality climate change occurs over millenia. 20 years is a millisecond in climatological time.
[Reply]
Donger 02:34 PM 05-02-2021
Originally Posted by lawrenceRaider:
Yes, and in regards to carbon and being earth friendly.

If you haven't researched modern nuclear power, you should.
I'm quite familiar with the power generation and electric utility industry. Nuclear is now more expensive than renewables/kWh.
[Reply]
2bikemike 02:40 PM 05-02-2021
Originally Posted by Donger:
I'm quite familiar with the power generation and electric utility industry. Nuclear is now more expensive than renewables/kWh.
But Wind and Solar are intermittent and barely top out at 25% capacity factor where as Nuclear is around 90%.
[Reply]
Donger 02:53 PM 05-02-2021
Originally Posted by 2bikemike:
But Wind and Solar are intermittent and barely top out at 25% capacity factor where as Nuclear is around 90%.
Yes, I know.
[Reply]
BucEyedPea 03:47 PM 05-02-2021
A global lockdown of all commerce and activity using fossil fuels. Can call it the Great Upset.
[Reply]
philfree 04:07 PM 05-02-2021
Originally Posted by notorious:
Dude, livestock is the absolute devil to the climate change nutjobs.
Yeah I know. Fuck those people!
[Reply]
lawrenceRaider 05:57 PM 05-02-2021
Existing probably, but that's all ancient technology.

Modern nuclear designs not so much, especially when you factor in reliability.
[Reply]
True North 06:15 PM 05-02-2021
Take away the subsidies and run the numbers again.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk
[Reply]
crayzkirk 07:52 PM 05-02-2021
I have a problem with the nuclear option. What happens to the spent rods? The biggest issue that I have is with nuclear heating water to make steam for a generator. Really?
with all of the neutrons and electrons flying around, can't we do something better?

What happens to the spend fuel that is dangerous for hundreds of thousands of years? is putting it into the ground for future generations to deal with a real solution? How stupid are we?
[Reply]
GloryDayz 08:13 PM 05-02-2021
More nukes, less kooks.
[Reply]
scho63 09:18 PM 05-02-2021
We can roll back our country to 1776 and then we'll be zero carbon.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 02:00 AM 05-03-2021
That an outsized portion of that cost is from regulation, not the tech.

Kind of like if you argued that mass transit costs less than personal transportation, but then find out that's because the law requires you to disassemble your automobile's engine after every trip and bring in doctorate-level experts to inspect it before you can reassemble and use again.

Not to say the regulation is completely unmerited, but it is a bit an artificial inflator of cost basis.

That cost isn't some exotic materials and super rare fuels or anything like that, it's an army of inspectors generating a shit ton of paperwork that generates much of that cost.
[Reply]
Ninerfan11 02:20 AM 05-03-2021
We are close with Nuclear.

Now that people aren't scared of Covid anymore, the Climate Change hysteria is going to come down HARD down the pike. Wait for it, it's coming.
[Reply]
AdolfOliverBush 08:10 AM 05-03-2021
Originally Posted by True North:
They thought peak oil was in the 70s. New oil deposits are found all the time. The Athabasca oil sands deposit alone could provide the WORLD for 200 plus years at current consumption levels. The extraction costs and technology are getting better all the time. You don't know what you're talking about.

There's no currently existing carbon neutral technology that can power our on demand energy needs. Not to mention all the existing GREEN technology requires fossil fuels, and they still can't get to load. It's a giant scam. The only things lucrative about green tech is the massive subsidies and marketing to gullible eco fascists.

If carbon zero is truly the goal, then be prepared to take the biggest reduction of our standard of living, mobility and freedom in the history of the world. Bicycles, yurts and imitation meat for all. Yay!

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk
Like I said, fossil fuels will run out. Opinions won't change that.
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 11:13 AM 05-03-2021
Meat ban, air conditioning ban... what ever could be next?

The EPA will propose a rule curbing the use of a potent greenhouse gas used in refrigeration and air conditioning, the Biden administration’s first major step to limit climate-warming pollutants https://t.co/A7Y6VlAKnF

— Bloomberg (@business) May 3, 2021

[Reply]
Page 5 of 7
< 12345 67 >
Up