ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 5 of 11
< 12345 6789 > Last »
Patteeu Memorial Political Forum>‘Jeopardy!’ Slammed for Winner’s Alleged White Power Hand Gesture
BigRichard 01:32 PM 04-30-2021
Are you kidding me. You wonder why people have become so loathsome of a part of a particular political side. This story is why.

Originally Posted by :

A Jeopardy! winner’s hand gesture from Tuesday night’s show has sparked a protest by former contestants demanding an apology from producers.

A group of 467 purported former participants on the show posted an open letter on Medium on Wednesday accusing the syndicated game show’s producers of failing to catch a contestant’s apparent white power hand gesture.

On Tuesday, when winner Kelly Donohue was introduced as having won three games, he “held his thumb and forefinger together with his other three fingers extended and palm facing inward, and he tapped his chest,” the letter noted.

Here’s what that looked like:

Donohue countered on Facebook that the gesture was meant to confirm he had won three games, and noted had previously flashed one finger, and then two, during his introductions for his earlier respective games.

But when he did three fingers after his third win, he made a gesture similar to the “OK” symbol made by a right-wing militia group called the Three Percenters that has also been co-opted by white power groups. The former contestants say the popular game show’s producers should have recognized the gesture and prevented it from ever being shown on the air.

“This gesture was not a clear-cut symbol for the number three,” the letter noted. “Regardless of [Donohue’s] stated intent, the gesture is a racist dog whistle. Some of the first people to notice this were not affiliated with Jeopardy! in any way — they were viewers who couldn’t believe what they’d seen, captured it on video, and shared it to Twitter. Among them were people of color who, needless to say, are attuned to racist messaging and not appreciative that the show allowed this symbol to be broadcast. … It was perceived by people across demographic boundaries as a wink and a nod by white men about their superiority. …. Leaving this messaging unchecked will encourage others to attempt similar things in the future. Is the production team of Jeopardy! prepared for more of this? Prepared for more attempts to disguise contempt as innocent gesturing? Prepared for the backlash and ramifications should one of those moments ever become tied to real-world violence?”

The letter also stated that Donohue had “responded to a clue with a term for the Roma that is considered a slur.”

“We know that contestants sign morals and ethics-related agreements when they prepare to appear on the show, and we would ask the production team to evaluate this situation within that framework,” the letter added. “We really hope to see a statement and a disavowal of both of this week’s events, and we would like to see Jeopardy! address Kelly’s behavior.”

The Jeopardy! team had no immediate comment.

Read more here: https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/je...re/ar-BB1gbz1R

[Reply]
cosmo20002 10:41 PM 05-03-2021
Originally Posted by alpha_omega:
Of course, they left out the other signs he flashed....it's as easy to figure out as 1-2-3.

That guy would have at least survived in Nazi Germany.

[Reply]
Bump 02:15 AM 05-04-2021
oh, a guy playing a nazi in a movie did it so there ya go!

fucking retards
[Reply]
Hoopsdoc 05:28 AM 05-04-2021
Originally Posted by jettio:
If you ask a kid to show the number 3 with one hand, you would universally get the index middle and ring finger displayed.

The way this guy shows 3 is not a natural way to show the number 3 with one hand.

But it is not possible to decide if the guy meant to be naughty without more information.

It is not possible to conclude that the guy did not mean to flash a symbol. It is weird that so many posters jump to the conclusion that it is not possible that the guy meant to flash a symbol.
:-)

Sentence 2 and sentence 3 directly contradict each other. Unless you’re saying he made the gesture unnaturally for some other reason.

The pretzels you guys tie yourselves into on this stuff is hilarious.
[Reply]
jettio 08:53 AM 05-04-2021
Originally Posted by Hoopsdoc:

Sentence 2 and sentence 3 directly contradict each other. Unless you’re saying he made the gesture unnaturally for some other reason.

Those sentences do not contradict one another.

Sentence 2 states a fact that could support a finding that the guy was trying to flash a sign, but is not strong enough to support a conclusion that he definitely did.

Sentence 3 says that there is not enough information to draw a conclusion that the guy did or did not intentionally flash a sign.

I am a lawyer and we have to learn how to use logic to meet various quantums of proof such as reasonable suspicion, probable cause, preponderance of evidence, clear and convincing evidence, or proof beyond a reasonable doubt.

The facts presented so far have some that support the proposition that the guy flashed a sign:
1. not a natural way to use fingers to display the number 3.

2. having Frank Sinatra photo flashing the okay sign as his Facebook cover photo
And some that support the proposition that he did not intend to flash a sign.
1. Apologized a little.

2. Did display 1 finger and 2 fingers in a more natural way, the previous 2 days.
What quantum of proof is met to draw a conclusion one way or another?

Seems to me that you do not have enough information to consider either proposition proven by a preponderance of the evidence. You would have to gather more facts to consider anything proven.

Seems to me that it would be best not to worry about it, and let the guy get on with his life.
[Reply]
Hoopsdoc 09:03 AM 05-04-2021
Those sentences do not contradict one another.

Sentence 2 states a fact that could support a finding that the guy was trying to flash a sign, but is not strong enough to support a conclusion that he definitely did.

Sentence 3 says that there is not enough information to draw a conclusion that the guy did or did not intentionally flash a sign.

I am a lawyer and we have to learn how to use logic to meet various quantums of proof such as reasonable suspicion, probable cause, preponderance of evidence, clear and convincing evidence, or proof beyond a reasonable doubt.

The facts presented so far have some that support the proposition that the guy flashed a sign:
1. not a natural way to use fingers to display the number 3.

2. having Frank Sinatra photo flashing the okay sign as his Facebook cover photo
And some that support the proposition that he did not intend to flash a sign.
1. Apologized a little.

2. Did display 1 finger and 2 fingers in a more natural way, the previous 2 days.
What quantum of proof is met to draw a conclusion one way or another?

Seems to me that you do not have enough information to consider either proposition proven by a preponderance of the evidence. You would have to gather more facts to consider anything proven.

Seems to me that it would be best not to worry about it, and let the guy get on with his life.
First of all, sentence 2 is nothing more than your opinion. It’s not a “fact” that that’s an “unnatural” way to flash the 3 sign.

Look at the way he flashed the 2 sign in the picture above. Right hand, across the chest. The exact same way he flashed the 3 sign. That alone tells you all you need to know.

I agree that there isn’t enough evidence to say he meant anything with that signal. My issue is that there was even a question about it in the first place.
[Reply]
jettio 09:16 AM 05-04-2021
First of all, sentence 2 is nothing more than your opinion. It’s not a “fact” that that’s an “unnatural” way to flash the 3 sign.

Look at the way he flashed the 2 sign in the picture above. Right hand, across the chest. The exact same way he flashed the 3 sign. That alone tells you all you need to know.

I agree that there isn’t enough evidence to say he meant anything with that signal. My issue is that there was even a question about it in the first place.
I guess it is like that placekicker that New England drafted and signed that had a tattoo that was used by white supremacist affiliated groups. He said he did not know the whole story about that and said he would cover up the tattoo or something.

A big reason why these things get bought up is because some white supremacist groups (or angry white guys made at the world for some reason) have come up with these customs for showing solidarity and trying to be funny about it. Those folks are sincere about messing with people and they are partly to blame if innocent people play the stupid game without realizing it.
[Reply]
Hoopsdoc 09:58 AM 05-04-2021
I guess it is like that placekicker that New England drafted and signed that had a tattoo that was used by white supremacist affiliated groups. He said he did not know the whole story about that and said he would cover up the tattoo or something.

A big reason why these things get bought up is because some white supremacist groups (or angry white guys made at the world for some reason) have come up with these customs for showing solidarity and trying to be funny about it. Those folks are sincere about messing with people and they are partly to blame if innocent people play the stupid game without realizing it.
Oh, they’re sincere about messing with people because they’ve been extraordinarily successful. Because people are morons.

Without their trolling we wouldn’t be having this conversation.
[Reply]
vailpass 10:27 AM 05-04-2021

Yep.
[Reply]
NJChiefsFan27 12:44 PM 05-05-2021
Oh, they’re sincere about messing with people because they’ve been extraordinarily successful. Because people are morons.

Without their trolling we wouldn’t be having this conversation.
Anybody who does this gesture that has an understanding of how it's being used today is either signaling their tolerance / support of racism or is just a weird right wing troll. I would argue it's almost always both.
[Reply]
KC_Lee 12:55 PM 05-05-2021
Originally Posted by NJChiefsFan27:
Anybody who does this gesture that has an understanding of how it's being used today is either signaling their tolerance / support of racism or is just a weird right wing troll. I would argue it's almost always both.
Or there's just a bunch of overly sensitive bitches that get their panties into uber-wads over everything.
[Reply]
NJChiefsFan27 02:00 PM 05-05-2021
Originally Posted by KC_Lee:
Or there's just a bunch of overly sensitive bitches that get their panties into uber-wads over everything.
Maybe, but many of the same people who say this lose their shit over having to wear a mask at Target so I take those complaints with a grain of salt.
[Reply]
ClevelandBronco 02:05 PM 05-05-2021
Originally Posted by NJChiefsFan27:
Or because there is additional context which makes the Breuer hand gesture look sus, like him being the only person in the photo among dozens of others to not be doing a thumbs up, but instead he is seen making a hand gesture that was part of a growing troll campaign among younger conservatives to be a display of white power. It was new enough that it's possible he didn't know about it and was just doing some kind of Trump impersonation (Trump, like many others who speak with their hands, sometimes makes this gesture when he speaks), but it's very likely he knew what he was doing.
You’re not serious.

You’re serious?

No, you’re not serious.

Right?
[Reply]
KC_Lee 02:06 PM 05-05-2021
Originally Posted by ClevelandBronco:
You’re not serious.

You’re serious?

No, you’re not serious.

Right?
Oh he's serious. He's a Bernie Bro, they're always serious.
[Reply]
Spott 04:38 PM 05-05-2021
It’s damn near impossible to hold up three fingers without making some sort of OK symbol with your other two fingers.
[Reply]
displacedinMN 06:31 PM 05-05-2021
Originally Posted by Spott:
It’s damn near impossible to hold up three fingers without making some sort of OK symbol with your other two fingers.
unless you are missing your thumb
[Reply]
Page 5 of 11
< 12345 6789 > Last »
Up