ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 5 of 7
< 12345 67 >
Media Center>Mind-blowing actor crossovers
Hammock Parties 01:16 AM 03-07-2021
There are a lot of these and I'm aware of a good percentage.

But this...THIS ONE...has left my brain in another dimension.




[Reply]
Frazod 02:20 PM 03-14-2021
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
I somehow missed that film in the theaters but saw it years later on HBO and thought it was a blast. I should definitely revisit.

The first time I became aware of Costner was No Way Out. He was so convincing and so likable, then that ending was mind-blowingly awesome! When Dances With Wolves was released, I saw it opening weekend and was completely blown away. One of these days, I need to watch his series on Paramount Plus.

And yeah, Dennehy was amazing in every role, whether he was a good guy or a bad guy. Dude was too cool.
I hated No Way Out. I'm sure I've bitched about this before, so I won't rehash the reasons, but suffice to say that the shipboard-rescue-in-the-storm bullshit is the most egregious, inaccurate and stupid portrayal of the Navy I've ever seen, and that includes Bay's Pearl Harbor. I saw this movie in the theater near Great Lakes, and after that scene about half the men in the audience (fellow veteran fleet sailors) got up and left. I would have been one of them had I not had a date with me. At that point it didn't matter whether the remainder of the movie was good or bad; it was ruined for me. When he ended up being a spy in the end, my reaction was "fucking figures." :-)

And I absolutely agree on Dennehy. If he's ever given a bad performance in a movie, I've never seen it.
[Reply]
Mennonite 05:01 PM 03-14-2021
I'm not a big Costner fan but Brian Dennehy was awesome. I read a funny anecdote about him and his agent a few years ago on Twitter:


Gather round, Gentle Readers. It is time I tell the story of the worst decision I ever made in an office. Some of you have heard this. Some have not. Whatever you do in your office today, this week, the rest of this year, you can console yourself by recalling this tale.

— Quinn Cummings (@quinncy) November 7, 2018

[Reply]
Cave Johnson 05:38 PM 03-14-2021
Originally Posted by InChiefsHeaven:

Karl Urban as Dredd...yes, you knew it was him, but most impressive to me was he never took off the helmet to show his face, which I think is pretty common for big stars. They want people to know who they are.

Dredd was awesome by the way. Way better than Judge Dredd with Stallone...though I admit, l like that one too.
Hes great in The Boys.
[Reply]
Rausch 09:00 AM 03-15-2021
Originally Posted by Gadzooks:
What movie is this from?
Enemy mine.

EXCELLENT movie. I'm pretty sure the alien culture is supposed to be loosely based off of Islam...
[Reply]
Mennonite 09:55 AM 03-15-2021
Originally Posted by Rausch:
Enemy mine.

EXCELLENT movie. I'm pretty sure the alien culture is supposed to be loosely based off of Islam...

It's similar to Hell in the Pacific (1968) starring Lee Marvin and Toshirō Mifune.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 12:23 PM 03-15-2021
Originally Posted by Frazod:
I won't rehash the reasons, but suffice to say that the shipboard-rescue-in-the-storm bullshit is the most egregious, inaccurate and stupid portrayal of the Navy I've ever seen, and that includes Bay's Pearl Harbor. .
I need the Frazod dressing down of all cinematic naval embarrassments.

And I need it now.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 12:41 PM 03-15-2021
Originally Posted by Frazod:
I hated No Way Out. I'm sure I've bitched about this before, so I won't rehash the reasons, but suffice to say that the shipboard-rescue-in-the-storm bullshit is the most egregious, inaccurate and stupid portrayal of the Navy I've ever seen, and that includes Bay's Pearl Harbor. I saw this movie in the theater near Great Lakes, and after that scene about half the men in the audience (fellow veteran fleet sailors) got up and left. I would have been one of them had I not had a date with me. At that point it didn't matter whether the remainder of the movie was good or bad; it was ruined for me. When he ended up being a spy in the end, my reaction was "fucking figures."

:-)
That's really a shame, because the movie and the actor's performances were top notch, especially Gene Hackman, George Dzundza and Will Patton as Hackman's sleazy underling. At the time, I would have never guessed Costner's true identity.

That said, I totally get it. I get turned off when movies or TV series get shit wrong, whether it's about music or the entertainment business or even science and physics when it's not science fiction/fantasy.

I tried to watch the Netflix series Hollywood and lasted about 10 minutes because it was so utterly ridiculous and fictional.
[Reply]
Frazod 01:00 PM 03-15-2021
Originally Posted by Hammock Parties:
I need the Frazod dressing down of all cinematic naval embarrassments.

And I need it now.
Okay.....

So Costner's character is the OOD (officer on deck) in charge of the bridge during a furious storm at night on the cruiser (destroyer?) USS Billings (BB 1649). The bow watch (a guy standing on the pointy end) gets washed over the side by a wave, and is left dangling by a rope against the side of the ship. Costner heroically leaves the bridge to lead the rescue party, which slips and slides it's way to the bow and rescues the hapless bow watch guy. Instant hero!

Where to start with this crap....

1. There is no USS Billings, and if there was, it would be a submarine.

2. "BB" is the designation for a battleship. None of them have 4-digit hull numbers. And they are named for states, not cities. And this ship WASN'T a battleship.

3. There are no "bow watches" in the modern navy. We have radar and sonar now. And what the hell is a bow watch going to see, at night, during a storm - mermaids? Give me a break. Also, during a storm, the weather decks (anything outside) are secured. You'd never have some guy attached to a rope standing outside in a storm anywhere, especially on the bow. Fuck.

4. The outer decks of modern ships are coated with non-skid, a course grippy material that provides traction for walking, and specifically guards against slipping and sliding. That's kind of a big deal on a ship rolling in the middle of the fucking ocean.

5. No bridge officer, especially the one in charge, would EVER abandon his post for any reason. And definitely not in the middle of a fucking storm. He would have been court-martialed for abandoning his post.

Everything about that scene was preposterous. I guess to the average person who doesn't know dick about the Navy, being at sea or being in a storm it wouldn't matter (this obviously includes the asshats who made this piece of crap), but I was in the Navy, have been at sea, and have been in real storms like that, and that scene basically rubbed shit in my face. It's the dumbest goddamn thing I've ever seen committed to film. It's worse than Signs. It's worse than Lynch's Dune.
[Reply]
Frazod 01:07 PM 03-15-2021
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
That's really a shame, because the movie and the actor's performances were top notch, especially Gene Hackman, George Dzundza and Will Patton as Hackman's sleazy underling. At the time, I would have never guessed Costner's true identity.

That said, I totally get it. I get turned off when movies or TV series get shit wrong, whether it's about music or the entertainment business or even science and physics when it's not science fiction/fantasy.

I tried to watch the Netflix series Hollywood and lasted about 10 minutes because it was so utterly ridiculous and fictional.
I always come back to Signs for stuff like this. A movie about a farmer who sleeps in, never works, and doesn't own a gun, battling aliens who can be killed by water on a planet covered mostly by water, where it rains.

Seriously, who writes this shit? :-)
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 01:20 PM 03-15-2021
:-) That's fucking awesome.

Yeah they must have watched the opening of Last Crusade on the ship Indy escapes from and taken inspiration from that.
[Reply]
Frazod 02:11 PM 03-15-2021
Originally Posted by Hammock Parties:
:-) That's fucking awesome.

Yeah they must have watched the opening of Last Crusade on the ship Indy escapes from and taken inspiration from that.
I guess. That scene wasn't too bad.

There are obvious limitations to what filmmakers can do portraying ocean storms. Especially in the days before CGI. I understand that.

Here are the things are that are wrong about that scene:

1. The boat isn't rolling or pitching, as it would be in a storm of the magnitude they're attempting to depict. They try to fake it by splashing water, but the water on the deck isn't moving from side to side like it would be in a real situation.

2. The waves shown after Indy goes overboard are no where near big enough. It is highly unlikely that he would have survived in a real storm bad enough to sink a ship that size.

3. This is kind of petty, but it's always obvious in movies like that that the water they use is fresh, not salt. Saltwater is frothy when it washes across an exposed deck. Freshwater isn't.

Here's a little reality. Been there, done that. At times, for days on end. (The title is misleading - no actual "battleship" is depicted.)


[Reply]
eDave 03:36 PM 03-17-2021
Originally Posted by BigRichard:
Mr. Brooks is probably in my top 10 of best movies simply because you never saw Kevin Costner being such an evil guy...

Originally Posted by Frazod:
I've never seen this. Seems like I should definitely check it out.
I checked it last night and do recommend. There is an emotion in there that I hadn't thought of before and found it intriguing and wondering if others have felt the same about passing something like that along.

Having said that, had they completely deleted Demi's cop character, would it have mattered at all?
[Reply]
Mennonite 03:44 PM 03-17-2021
Originally Posted by eDave:
Having said that, had they completely deleted Demi's cop character, would it have mattered at all?
Not really.

Speaking of underrated Kevin Costner movies, what do you guys think of "A Perfect World"?


Back on topic - can anyone name these two ladies?

This girl would played a civil servant in a comedy in the late 1980s:




The blonde on the right was in a very popular movie in the 1990s:


[Reply]
notorious 05:26 PM 03-17-2021
Originally Posted by Frazod:


JESUS
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 05:30 PM 03-17-2021
Frazod, were you scared shitless during your first storm :-)
[Reply]
Page 5 of 7
< 12345 67 >
Up