ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3 of 137
< 123 45671353103 > Last »
Patteeu Memorial Political Forum>*****Official George Floyd/MPLS Police dep trial*****
displacedinMN 09:47 AM 01-12-2021
Under Special Request-Shortened to help out

What happened -- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Killing_of_George_Floyd

Results and riots https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Floyd_protests

Trials-Latest

Spoiler!

Charges
Spoiler!

I will update things as I can-I have full RedStarTrib access.

Live tweets from Red Star http://live.startribune.com/Event/Li...rial_testimony

KARE 11 Live Stream with experts. https://www.kare11.com/watch?vid=5b7...b-8073ea5b7450
[Reply]
displacedinMN 07:51 PM 01-19-2021
FYI: I am adding stories from the paper. Not making comments

New court filings show that the estranged wife of former Minneapolis police officer Derek Chauvin, who is charged in George Floyd's death, could be awarded about two-thirds of the couple's assets in a divorce that was previously flagged by a judge for possible fraud.

A detailed division of their two homes, multiple bank accounts and debts show that Kellie Chauvin would receive $703,717.69 while Derek Chauvin would receive $420,768.22. Court documents also detailed vandalism that hurt the resale value of their house in Oakdale, and Kellie Chauvin's plans to legally change her first and last names.

Derek and Kellie Chauvin filed the proposed divorce settlement with the court in early December under seal, and refiled a public version late last week at the behest of Washington County District Judge Juanita Freeman, who rejected their first offer last October because Kellie Chauvin would have been awarded most of their assets.

Veteran divorce attorneys who are not involved in the matter reviewed the second offer and said it did little to quell Freeman's worry.

"I don't think this resolves the judge's concern about possible fraud, as she presumably wanted to see a more equal division," said divorce attorney Marc Beyer. "It only highlights it even more. In so many words, [Freeman] pretty much told them that they can't award all of the marital assets to [Kellie Chauvin], but this still does that."

Freeman has not ruled on the Chauvins' second offer, which was drafted by Kellie Chauvin's attorney, Amanda Mason-Sekula. A hearing in the matter is scheduled for March 26 with a trial set for April 26.

Mason-Sekula did not return a message seeking comment. Derek Chauvin has no attorney in the case and could not be reached for comment.

The Chauvins' divorce has come under scrutiny as some question whether it's a strategic move to protect their assets from civil litigation. Kellie Chauvin filed for divorce on May 31, two days after her husband was charged in Floyd's May 25 death.

Attorneys for Floyd's family later filed a federal lawsuit against the city of Minneapolis, Chauvin and three of his former colleagues who assisted in Floyd's arrest: J. Alexander Kueng, Thomas Lane and Tou Thao.

Several divorce attorneys have said Freeman's October ruling fueled speculation about a divorce of convenience.

"The Court has a duty to ensure that marriage dissolution agreements are fair and equitable," Freeman wrote in October. "One badge of fraud is a party's transfer of 'substantially all' of his or her assets."

The details of the first proposed settlement were redacted. It's unknown publicly how it compares to the second offering, which noted that Kellie Chauvin shouldered several financial burdens, including mortgages and home improvements, alone while her husband was in jail for several months.

Derek Chauvin was released on bond in October; he is scheduled to be tried March 8. His co-defendants are scheduled to be tried in August.

"Both parties have freely entered into this Agreement [sic]," said the second proposed settlement. " … Both parties believe the terms and conditions to be fair and reasonable under the circumstances."

The couple married in 2010, have no children together and are not seeking spousal maintenance.

According to the new filings: Kellie Chauvin lost her job as a Realtor last May, has been unable to work due to safety concerns and cannot currently support herself.

She was awarded the net profits, $12,996, from the August sale of their Oakdale home, which was vandalized and sold for $26,000 below the asking price.

She would also receive the title to their Florida townhouse, which was valued at $226,282 before it was vandalized after Floyd's death. She also expected to incur the unknown cost of damage caused to other buildings in their association.

Kellie Chauvin would receive a substantial amount of money from Derek Chauvin's Minnesota Deferred Compensation Plan, Roth IRA, Health Care Savings Plan and pension, totaling $754,911.82. (Her total divorce settlement would be lower after debts are factored in.)

Derek Chauvin would receive $452,524.38 from the same accounts in nonmarital assets — money he earned before their marriage. Nonmarital assets are commonly awarded to the earner.

"Overall, this division continues the underlying concern of the divorce being utilized as a vehicle to shift assets out of Mr. Chauvin's name as a means to protect the underlying assets from civil litigation, and thereby using the dissolution process to preserve assets rather than to effectuate a full and fair settlement in a divorce," said divorce attorney Jack De Walt.

While state law doesn't require an exactly equal division of marital assets — assets earned during marriage — De Walt and Beyer said the Chauvins' proposals stood out.

Of the marital assets, Derek Chauvin would receive a debt of $8,862.17 to be subtracted from his nonmarital award of $429,630.39. Kellie Chauvin would receive $658,461 in marital assets and $45,256 in nonmarital assets.

"The court has some discretion in deciding whether a proposed division is indeed just and equitable," Beyer said, "but on its face, it's hard to imagine that this division falls into that category."

Court filings also said Kellie Chauvin would change her name to May Thao, common Hmong names that would allow her go undetected.

"The name change request is being made due to Petitioner's safety being put in jeopardy…," court documents said. "A name change will also allow Petitioner to once again secure employment without the attached stigma of continuing to use the Chauvin surname."

Derek and Kellie Chauvin also face several felony charges in Washington County alleging that they failed to claim $464,433 in joint income dating back to 2014; they are scheduled to be tried June 30 in that case.

Chao Xiong • 612-270-4708

Twitter: @ChaoStrib
[Reply]
BDj23 07:54 PM 01-19-2021
Originally Posted by Prison Bitch:
In 50 years there will be some riot(s), and Conservtives will own the Libs by sayng “That isnt what George Floyd would’ve wanted!”
This country won't exist in 50 years
[Reply]
GloryDayz 10:43 PM 01-19-2021
Is this all about the useless drugged-up piece of shit that the cops had to put down because his parents failed at their duties as parents?
[Reply]
GloryDayz 10:44 PM 01-19-2021
Originally Posted by BDj23:
This country won't exist in 50 years
Not my problem. Sort of like global warming...
[Reply]
displacedinMN 05:33 PM 01-21-2021
I figured this was the best place to post this.

Originally Posted by :
Minneapolis Mayor Jacob Frey on Thursday announced plans to run for re-election, following a tumultuous year in which the city grappled with the coronavirus pandemic, George Floyd's death,and riots that devastated some parts of the city.

"Over the last four years, we've confronted opportunity and hardship together," Frey said in a news release. "We've also faced unprecedented challenges and calls for necessary structural change. I look forward to continuing to serve Minneapolis as we move into a new era with a shared commitment to build a more vibrant and just city."

Frey, in his first term as mayor after serving on the City Council, found himself under scrutiny from around the world after Floyd's death. Questions about how to change the police department and public safety are likely to be front and center in this year's races, as the mayor's office and all 13 City Council seats come up in the November election.

The mayor quickly became a target for activists who want the police department to be abolished or drastically reduced following Floyd's death. One of his earliest announced challengers is Sheila Nezhad, who worked with Reclaim the Block as they encouraged city officials to make larger cuts to the police budget.

Noticeably absent from his list of any challengers are the city's sitting council members. A Star Tribune/MPR News/Kare 11 poll conducted in August found that voters gave Frey a higher approval rating than the council, but also said they trusted the City Council to make decisions about the police department more than Frey.

Council President Lisa Bender, whose supporters had once eyed her as a potential Frey challenger, has announced she's not running for re-election, and said late last year that she didn't have plans to run for office.

In the debates over policing, Frey has found allies in other activists who say they prefer a "both-and" approach that leaves police budgets largely intact while increasing funding for other violence prevention programs.

The mayor's handling of the fallout after Floyd's death is also likely to come up during the campaign.

Frey and Gov. Tim Walz criticized each other as they responded to critics who thought they were too slow to bring in the National Guard to help as the city burned in the riots that followed Floyd's death.

A full list of Frey's challengers will be available late this summer, after candidates are required to file paperwork to run for office.

This story is developing and will be updated.
:-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-)
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 05:56 PM 01-21-2021
Originally Posted by GloryDayz:
Is this all about the useless drugged-up piece of shit that the cops had to put down because his parents failed at their duties as parents?
Funny but I didn't see you claiming that Tom Petty or Prince or Mac Miller were "drugged up pieces of shit" when it was confirmed that they all died from Fentanyl overdoses.

What makes this person different from the others?
[Reply]
Bowser 05:57 PM 01-21-2021
I hope Chauvin walks away with enough money after this sham to retire on any beach in the world he deems worthy to retire upon, and never be forced to work a day in his life again.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 05:59 PM 01-21-2021
Originally Posted by Bowser:
I hope Chauvin walks away with enough money after this sham to retire on any beach in the world he deems worthy to retire upon, and never be forced to work a day in his life again.
Seriously? Chauvin and his wife tried to hide their assets from the court, failed to pay taxes on more than $400k in income while Chauvin kneeled on a man's neck for 9 minutes leading to his death.

Chauvin is human garbage and needs to die in prison, if not sooner. People like him are what's wrong with our society because he was supposed to be a trusted public servant.

I hope he's ass raped every day in prison.
[Reply]
Prison Bitch 06:02 PM 01-21-2021
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
Funny but I didn't see you claiming that Tom Petty or Prince or Mac Miller were "drugged up pieces of shit" when it was confirmed that they all died from Fentanyl overdoses.

look at this question. Just look at it^
[Reply]
Bowser 06:11 PM 01-21-2021
Seriously? Chauvin and his wife tried to hide their assets from the court, failed to pay taxes on more than $400k in income while Chauvin kneeled on a man's neck for 9 minutes leading to his death.

Chauvin is human garbage and needs to die in prison, if not sooner. People like him are what's wrong with our society because he was supposed to be a trusted public servant.

George Floyd committed suicide by fentanyl, and Chauvin was set up to take the fall by Floyd being anointed to sainthood by the media. It's disgusting how they flipped Floyd and Chauvin in the roles of victim and villain. You get a point on he and his wife dodging paying the taxes, but for the rest? No. George Floyd was going to die that day all on his own, and Chauvin was in the wrong place at the wrong time.
[Reply]
GloryDayz 06:32 PM 01-21-2021

He disobeyed officer's lawful orders.
[Reply]
GloryDayz 06:34 PM 01-21-2021

Are you defending Fentanyl Floyd? Oh my...
[Reply]
Hoopsdoc 07:47 PM 01-21-2021
Originally Posted by POND_OF_RED:
His hand in his pocket and complete disregard for human life screams racism. The fact that a white officer was able to murder a black man in broad daylight while being filmed is highlighting the systemic oppression that’s been going on in this country for years. People like you trying to justify the officer cutting off his air supply with his knee because he said he couldn’t breathe extremely highlights the complete lack of intelligence in your overall thought process here.

I’ve definitely watched the entirety of the video. Very hard to sit through. Are you trying to tell me you watched all 8 minutes and 46 seconds of him holding his knee on his neck and this is your takeaway from the full video? If so I would definitely seek some counseling before you hurt yourself or someone else you love with that sociopathic mind of yours.

If you honestly think race had nothing to do with this then show me a similar video of this happening to a white man.

I’ll wait...
:-)

You’re a f*****g idiot who believes what the tv tells you to believe.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 08:31 PM 01-21-2021
Originally Posted by Bowser:
George Floyd committed suicide by fentanyl, and Chauvin was set up to take the fall by Floyd being anointed to sainthood by the media. It's disgusting how they flipped Floyd and Chauvin in the roles of victim and villain. You get a point on he and his wife dodging paying the taxes, but for the rest? No. George Floyd was going to die that day all on his own, and Chauvin was in the wrong place at the wrong time.
I don't see it that way, at all. The trial will be very interesting but regardless, Chauvin is human garbage.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 08:32 PM 01-21-2021
Originally Posted by GloryDayz:
He disobeyed officer's lawful orders.
So, the penalty is death?
[Reply]
Page 3 of 137
< 123 45671353103 > Last »
Up