ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 137
1 23451151101 > Last »
Patteeu Memorial Political Forum>*****Official George Floyd/MPLS Police dep trial*****
displacedinMN 09:47 AM 01-12-2021
Under Special Request-Shortened to help out

What happened -- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Killing_of_George_Floyd

Results and riots https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Floyd_protests

Trials-Latest

Spoiler!

Charges
Spoiler!

I will update things as I can-I have full RedStarTrib access.

Live tweets from Red Star http://live.startribune.com/Event/Li...rial_testimony

KARE 11 Live Stream with experts. https://www.kare11.com/watch?vid=5b7...b-8073ea5b7450
[Reply]
displacedinMN 09:56 AM 01-12-2021
Fired Minneapolis police officer Derek Chauvin will stand trial alone in March in connection with the death of George Floyd, leaving the three other former police officers involved in the death to be tried together later this summer.

The trial in Hennepin County District Court of Chauvin, who had his knee on a Floyd until he fell unconscious and later died on May 25, will proceed on March 8, Judge Peter Cahill ordered late Monday.

The other defendants, Thomas Lane, J. Alexander Kueng and Tou Thao, will remain tried together, but Cahill moved the start of that trial to Aug. 23.
[Reply]
displacedinMN 10:54 AM 01-12-2021
MPD may just bend over now

Bob Kroll, the incendiary Minneapolis police lieutenant whose role as president of the Minneapolis Police Federation made him a lightning rod in the debate over race and policing, announced plans Monday to retire from the department.

Kroll, 58, who was already eligible for retirement, will leave the force at the end of the month, he said in a letter to federation members. His retirement comes nearly eight months after the death of George Floyd in police custody, an incident that generated weeks of protests and calls for the defunding, or even abolishment, of the state's largest police force. It also comes amid continuing fallout from the siege on the U.S. Capitol last week by supporters of President Donald Trump, whom Kroll has aligned himself with publicly.

In the letter, obtained by the Star Tribune, Kroll says that he initially planned to retire in May, but "after reviewing the bigger picture, it is in my family's best interest for me to retire four months early."

Kroll's second-in-command at the Police Federation, Sgt. Sherral Schmidt, is expected to serve out the rest of his term. Kroll did not respond to a message seeking comment.

"Most difficult for me as I made this decision was to see how our noble profession has been demonized. The toughest part of the job was witnessing the scrutiny and criticism [we] as professionals have endured from those who do not walk in our shoes. Yet these people turned into self-proclaimed experts into every aspect of our line of work," he wrote. "The low point of my career has been watching this occur over the last three decades and how weak administrations pandered to armchair quarterbacks and didn't fight for hardworking public servants who wear the badge."

Kroll often clashed with chiefs and mayors alike, including current Minneapolis Mayor Jacob Frey, who tweeted an article about Kroll's departure and wrote: "Good riddance."

Frey said Kroll's departure will "create an opportunity for the incoming union leadership to improve its relationship" with City Hall and police administration.

Although it makes no mention of recent events, Kroll's retirement announcement comes less than a week after a mob of pro-Trump rioters stormed the U.S. Capitol in attempts to disrupt Congress' certification of Joe Biden's presidential victory. Kroll, an outspoken Trump supporter, appeared on stage with him at a Minneapolis campaign rally at the Target Center in late 2019.

Kroll joined the department in 1989 and was elected to his first two-year term as union president in 2015.

In a radio interview in August, Kroll said that public backlash had persuaded him to stay with the department, despite having reached retirement age.

"Now these people are causing me to stay, because I can't make it look like they're chasing me out. I've never backed away from a fight in my life," he said. "The same people who want me gone so bad, from the protesters to the mayor to the City Council to the governor, now they're getting me stuck here longer, so the joke's on you."

In recent months, critics from Frey to Gov. Tim Walz have pointed to the politically influential union as a significant roadblock to reforming the department. Minneapolis Police Chief Medaria Arradondo cited the union's resistance to reforms for his decision to withdraw from police contract negotiations. The city has since returned to the bargaining table. A Star Tribune/MPR News/KARE 11 poll from last year found that nearly 80% of residents believe the union has too much influence over the disciplining of officers accused of misconduct.

Greg Hestness, a former Minneapolis deputy police chief, said the time might be right for "new leadership," particularly as Kroll's relationship has deteriorated with the chief. He said whoever is picked to be the next president will say a lot about the direction of the department.

"When he was reelected, I thought that said a lot about the culture in the department at that moment, and the next election might be another test of it, after they've endured the death of George Floyd and the riots, and the dismissal of them by the City Council — maybe they're looking for a new approach," Hestness said. "New leadership is always healthy after a long time."

Kroll said in a 2019 Star Tribune profile that he intended to step down when his term ended this spring and hand over leadership to Schmidt, his longtime No. 2. A special election may follow at some point.

Critics say that in some ways Kroll has come to embody an aggressive style of policing that has fallen out of favor. But they also question whether removing Kroll from office would automatically lead to changes, pointing out that many of the department's problems predate his tenure with the federation.

But while many of the officers who elected Kroll also likely share his worldview, others may have voted for someone who they felt would support them at a time when law enforcement is under scrutiny like never before.

According to the Office of Police Conduct Review, Kroll is the subject of three open complaints, which will be closed once he retires.

Staff writers Abby Simons, Paul Walsh and Liz Navratil contributed to this report.
[Reply]
displacedinMN 10:55 AM 01-12-2021
Soy boy being a-hole

Good riddance https://t.co/b94m0dyyjU

— Mayor Jacob Frey (@MayorFrey) January 11, 2021

[Reply]
ChiefsCountry 11:05 AM 01-12-2021
A fire in Minneapolis this time year might be welcomed.
[Reply]
POND_OF_RED 11:11 AM 01-12-2021
If the saddest thing you witnessed in your career was the backlash and not the actual video from one of the most racist events caught on tape by an officer in your department than good riddance for sure. If this statement from a police union president doesnít highlight the complete disconnect and lack of personal accountability held within those departments I really donít know what will.
[Reply]
ChiTown 11:20 AM 01-12-2021
Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry:
A fire in Minneapolis this time year might be welcomed.
:-):-)
[Reply]
staylor26 11:26 AM 01-12-2021
Originally Posted by POND_OF_RED:
If the saddest thing you witnessed in your career was the backlash and not the actual video from one of the most racist events caught on tape by an officer in your department than good riddance for sure. If this statement from a police union president doesn’t highlight the complete disconnect and lack of personal accountability held within those departments I really don’t know what will.
Exactly how was this a “racist event”? What proof do you have that race had anything to do with this?

I’ll wait...

Also, you clearly haven’t watched the full video where Floyd refused to get in the vehicle, was already claiming he “couldn’t breathe” long before he was on the ground, and he literally asked to be put on the ground.
[Reply]
displacedinMN 11:48 AM 01-12-2021
Originally Posted by ChiTown:
:-):-)
34 and sun today

40 tomorrow

Fire would make it too hot
[Reply]
displacedinMN 11:59 AM 01-12-2021
Defense attorneys for the ex-Minneapolis police officers charged with killing George Floyd continued to lodge accusations Thursday against prosecutors, alleging that they mishandled sharing evidence with them, provided irrelevant materials and divulged information late.

The issue arose at a contentious motion hearing where Hennepin County District Judge Peter Cahill weighed whether to postpone the March 8 trial and whether to sanction the prosecution based on the allegations, among other issues.

Cahill issued no rulings Thursday.

"It's ongoing and it's very aggravating," said Thomas Plunkett, who represents former Minneapolis officer J. Alexander Kueng. "It's not what I'm used to dealing with, with attorneys I hold in high regard. Maybe the magnitude of the case is getting to them."

Kueng and his former colleagues Thomas Lane and Tou Thao are each charged with aiding and abetting murder and manslaughter in Floyd's May 25 death. Former officer Derek Chauvin is charged with second-degree murder and manslaughter for pinning his knee on Floyd's neck for more than nine minutes before he died.

Cahill told Assistant Attorney General Matthew Frank he believes the prosecution acted in "good faith" in sharing evidence with the defense teams, but he pressed Frank on why his office took nine days to divulge an interview that Hennepin County Chief Medical Examiner Andrew Baker gave to investigators.

Baker told investigators Floyd's death was caused by his health issues and exertion from police restraint that occurred before he was pinned in the street.

"It seems like the first thing you do is … stamp it, send it through the scanner and send it to counsel," Cahill said, adding that the lag time was "essentially not complying with the court's order."

"I don't remember specifically," Frank said, noting that the delay was partly due to the document originating with federal authorities. "We are trying to get stuff out, and we're doing that as quickly as we can."

Defense attorneys Robert Paule, Natalie Paule and Eric Nelson filed separate motions in December alleging that prosecutors mishandled "discovery," the process of sharing evidence with defense attorneys.

The Paules, who represent Thao, asked Cahill to sanction the prosecution and postpone the trial to July 5 because of delays caused by discovery issues. Nelson, who represents Chauvin, asked to delay the trial to an unspecified date for the same reason.

Thao's attorneys said the Baker document was relevant to their motion to dismiss charges against Thao, but it was shared late and rendered useless.

Robert Paule argued Thursday that the prosecution previously took issue with defense claims that drugs were found in Floyd's car and rejected a different motion in Thao's case, only to later search the car in December and find pills that allegedly contained methamphetamine and fentanyl.

"I don't think this is simply a coincidence," Paule said.

Nelson and Lane's attorney, Earl Gray, also voiced concerns Thursday.

"I don't think we're getting stuff in nine days," Nelson said. "I think we're getting [evidence] more in 30 days."

Among their concerns were thousands of pages of evidence shared as a single PDF that could not be searched without converting the file, and important evidence sandwiched in between irrelevant materials.

Cahill previously ordered prosecutors to share all evidence with defense attorneys by Aug. 14, and to divulge any evidence that surfaced afterward within 24 hours.

Frank defended his office and called the allegations "unfounded and just inappropriate."

"We are doing the best we can with a huge amount of discovery," he said.

Frank apologized for the delay in the Baker document but said his office shared all evidence it received from Minneapolis police and other sources, and in the order and format they arrived in.

Special attorney for the state Neal Katyal told Cahill prosecutors were "100 percent ready" to try the case in March, but filed a motion in December to postpone it to June 7 so more people could be vaccinated against COVID-19 to protect trial participants and the public.

Robert Paule alleged that the prosecution's motion to delay the trial was a cover for revisiting its arguments to prohibit the livestreaming of the trial.

Cahill previously ruled that the trial will be livestreamed because the pandemic would severely restrict public access to the trial courtroom, and later denied the prosecution's request for him to rescind the order.

"This is a cloaked attempt to deal with that," Paule said.

Katyal did not address Paule's claims.

Cahill noted that postponing the trial because of COVID-19 would simply put participants in other cases at risk.

"It's a question of who has to take the risk," Cahill said. "Somebody is going to be in courtroom 1856 come March 8."
[Reply]
POND_OF_RED 12:01 PM 01-12-2021
Originally Posted by staylor26:
Exactly how was this a “racist event”? What proof do you have that race had anything to do with this?

I’ll wait...

Also, you clearly haven’t watched the full video where Floyd refused to get in the vehicle, was already claiming he “couldn’t breathe” long before he was on the ground, and he literally asked to be put on the ground.
His hand in his pocket and complete disregard for human life screams racism. The fact that a white officer was able to murder a black man in broad daylight while being filmed is highlighting the systemic oppression that’s been going on in this country for years. People like you trying to justify the officer cutting off his air supply with his knee because he said he couldn’t breathe extremely highlights the complete lack of intelligence in your overall thought process here.

I’ve definitely watched the entirety of the video. Very hard to sit through. Are you trying to tell me you watched all 8 minutes and 46 seconds of him holding his knee on his neck and this is your takeaway from the full video? If so I would definitely seek some counseling before you hurt yourself or someone else you love with that sociopathic mind of yours.

If you honestly think race had nothing to do with this then show me a similar video of this happening to a white man.

I’ll wait...
[Reply]
ChiTown 12:03 PM 01-12-2021
His hand in his pocket and complete disregard for human life screams racism. The fact that a white officer was able to murder a black man in broad daylight while being filmed is highlighting the systemic oppression thatís been going on in this country for years. People like you trying to justify the officer cutting off his air supply with his knee because he said he couldnít breathe extremely highlights the complete lack of intelligence in your overall thought process here.

Iíve definitely watched the entirety of the video. Very hard to sit through. Are you trying to tell me you watched all 8 minutes and 46 seconds of him holding his knee on his neck and this is your takeaway from the full video? If so I would definitely seek some counseling before you hurt yourself or someone else you love with that sociopathic mind of yours.
Are you saying that Police Officers didn't previously utilize these tactics on anyone other than Black offenders?
[Reply]
staylor26 12:10 PM 01-12-2021
His hand in his pocket and complete disregard for human life screams racism. The fact that a white officer was able to murder a black man in broad daylight while being filmed is highlighting the systemic oppression that’s been going on in this country for years. People like you trying to justify the officer cutting off his air supply with his knee because he said he couldn’t breathe extremely highlights the complete lack of intelligence in your overall thought process here.

I’ve definitely watched the entirety of the video. Very hard to sit through. Are you trying to tell me you watched all 8 minutes and 46 seconds of him holding his knee on his neck and this is your takeaway from the full video? If so I would definitely seek some counseling before you hurt yourself or someone else you love with that sociopathic mind of yours.

If you honestly think race had nothing to do with this then show me a similar video of this happening to a white man.

I’ll wait...
https://youtu.be/_c-E_i8Q5G0

https://youtu.be/GmKFRUxoStI

Just because these videos didn’t go viral doesn’t mean it doesn’t happen.

1. Never said the cops were completely innocent.

2. You clearly don’t know what I meant by the “entire video”. I’m obviously talking about everything that happened before he was on the ground.

Still waiting for proof that race was a factor...
[Reply]
POND_OF_RED 12:12 PM 01-12-2021
Originally Posted by ChiTown:
Are you saying that Police Officers didn't previously utilize these tactics on anyone other than Black offenders?
Yes. I am saying Iíve never seen video proof of an officer using this choking tactic to subdue a white victim for over 8 minutes while the victim laid motionless for several minutes as well. Are you saying that such a video exists?
[Reply]
lawrenceRaider 12:17 PM 01-12-2021
Yes. I am saying Iíve never seen video proof of an officer using this choking tactic to subdue a white victim for over 8 minutes while the victim laid motionless for several minutes as well. Are you saying that such a video exists?
It does exist and you can find where police have killed white people with the same tactics.

Why haven't you seen those in your media sources? Might want to ensure you are getting a more robust view of the world from your media choices.

https://heavy.com/news/2019/08/tony-timpa/

And above link is only one of many.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 137
1 23451151101 > Last »
Up