ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 228 of 288
« First < 128178218224225226227228 229230231232238278 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***OFFICIAL Patrick Mahomes GIF thread***
Hammock Parties 12:16 PM 08-13-2017
AKA GIF'D UP: Franchise QB Edition.

Complete with smooth, clean, CP-exclusive GIFs and bullshit analysis from the guy who stroked off Cassel.

2017: Preseason Game #1

2017: Preseason Game #2, Drive #1

2017: Preseason Game #2, Drive #2

2017: Preseason Game #3, Various plays in Posts 198-203

2017: Preseason Game #4, Various plays in Posts 292 and 294

THERE ARE NO BRAKES ON THIS TRAIN

[Reply]
Hammock Parties 09:22 AM 11-22-2021
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
The non-toss to CEH seemed to be a 'play it safe' moment. I'd have to watch it again, but the end looked to have come unblocked or beat his man quickly so he was setting up. I think Mahomes saw him in an 'athletic stance' and was concerned that he'd make a play on the pitch. Where that play happened, that could've gone all the way for 6 the other way and been potentially catastrophic.

I think it was just Mahomes doing a little game management. It looked awkward as hell, but I think it was defensible.
That was Mahomes doing the same thing he did at the end of the Giants game when he got sacked.

Ultra conservative Mahomes when the game is almost in the bag.

It's not necessarily a bad thing. You figure 2 times out of 10 something actually catastrophic happens and then you'd be begging for him to eat it.
[Reply]
DRM08 09:30 AM 11-22-2021
Originally Posted by Hammock Parties:
That was Mahomes doing the same thing he did at the end of the Giants game when he got sacked.

It's not necessarily a bad thing. You figure 2 times out of 10 something actually catastrophic happens and then you'd be begging for him to eat it.
Giants game is a good comparison. Not sure why that play was called. Easier to mess up a pitch than a handoff.
[Reply]
kgrund 09:39 AM 11-22-2021
Originally Posted by DRM08:
Giants game is a good comparison. Not sure why that play was called. Easier to mess up a pitch than a handoff.
By far the worse part of the play call was it put Mahomes in peril in a when the Cowboys knew we were going to run and were stacking the box. No need to teams getting free shots at Mahomes late in the game like that. If he got hurt this whole Board would be melting down.
[Reply]
jd1020 09:41 AM 11-22-2021
Originally Posted by kgrund:
By far the worse part of the play call was it put Mahomes in peril in a when the Cowboys knew we were going to run and were stacking the box. No need to teams getting free shots at Mahomes late in the game like that. If he got hurt this whole Board would be melting down.
The play call was fine. The pitch was there. Mahomes got hit because he didn't take it.
[Reply]
DRM08 09:43 AM 11-22-2021
Originally Posted by kgrund:
Valid point. Multiple bad things could happen on that pitch play. Thankfully nothing terrible happened.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 09:46 AM 11-22-2021

Yeah - that was the impression I got as well.

Like I said, I'd have to watch the play again to see if I saw what I that I saw, but in real time that was how it looked to me. He read the defender, thought there was a chance that things go REALLY poorly if he makes the pitch, so he bailed out of the play and kept the clock running for the FG attempts without having to worry about the big turnover.

When the defense is playing as well as it was yesterday, that's the kind of play he can - and arguably should - be making. I think there's grounds to quibble with the playcall itself, but I think his decisionmaking there was fine. It wasn't just some vapor-lock. He intentionally ate that ball strictly for risk management purposes.
[Reply]
O.city 09:50 AM 11-22-2021
They ran the read option and read off of Parsons. He's such an athlete that he slow played it and was in position. If Mahomes drives at him to make him attack the QB and pitches it, he probably gets destroyed.
[Reply]
Best22 09:51 AM 11-22-2021
Originally Posted by comochiefsfan:
Does it slightly concern anyone else that it doesn't seem like Pat is able to develop chemistry with anyone else besides Hill and Kelce?

I mean I know these guys suck, but usually elite QBs are able to elevate sucky receivers to a degree.

Would be cool to see some or that happen with Pringle, Gordon or Hardman.
Those guys don’t get as many targets/yards because of Hill and Kelce. Mahomes knows the offense is better when you target your best players. Put the ball in the hands of your weapons

Despite this, Pringle is having a career year and Hardman is on pace to have a career best season as well
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 09:55 AM 11-22-2021
Originally Posted by Best22:
Those guys don’t get as many targets/yards because of Hill and Kelce. Mahomes knows the offense is better when you target your best players. Put the ball in the hands of your weapons

Despite this, Pringle is having a career year and Hardman is on pace to have a career best season as well
Seems like Pringle should be getting 4-5 targets/gm but we've also had too many drives flame out due to drops, etc... that probably cost us 10-15 offensive plays/gm. Some of those could maybe have gone to Pringle.

Additionally, when these games stay tight, Mahomes is more likely to default to his most trusted options.

It's a bit circular, but when the offense works well, Pringle will be more heavily involved. Then again, when Pringle is involved it seems the offense works better. It's a weird sort of chicken or egg dilemma.
[Reply]
Chiefspants 09:56 AM 11-22-2021
Yeah - that was the impression I got as well.

Like I said, I'd have to watch the play again to see if I saw what I that I saw, but in real time that was how it looked to me. He read the defender, thought there was a chance that things go REALLY poorly if he makes the pitch, so he bailed out of the play and kept the clock running for the FG attempts without having to worry about the big turnover.

When the defense is playing as well as it was yesterday, that's the kind of play he can - and arguably should - be making. I think there's grounds to quibble with the playcall itself, but I think his decisionmaking there was fine. It wasn't just some vapor-lock. He intentionally ate that ball strictly for risk management purposes.
I wondered if perhaps Mahomes didn't feel as confident flipping it from the left side (compared to his right) especially when that unblocked DE was standing in front of him. It felt like the ultimate play-it-safe move, and with the turnovers we've had this season (and even that game), I get it.
[Reply]
Mama Hip Rockets 09:56 AM 11-22-2021
There are too many words in here. Can we have more GIFs and fewer words, please?
[Reply]
ThaVirus 10:40 AM 11-22-2021
The non-toss to CEH seemed to be a 'play it safe' moment. I'd have to watch it again, but the end looked to have come unblocked or beat his man quickly so he was setting up. I think Mahomes saw him in an 'athletic stance' and was concerned that he'd make a play on the pitch. Where that play happened, that could've gone all the way for 6 the other way and been potentially catastrophic.

I think it was just Mahomes doing a little game management. It looked awkward as hell, but I think it was defensible.
IIRC, Parsons was the defender he was reading. In Mahomes' defense, if you're going to shit your pants on an option read with any defender in your face, I can mostly wave it away if that defender is Parsons. That guy is athletic as all hell. I think Pat panicked, which is defensible, but why not just go down? You panic and elect not to pitch because the guy in front of you is an athlete, but then you try to run around like a chicken with its head cut off as if you're going to outrun him for a big play? :-)

I don't like the option with Pat and these RBs anyway. Pat hasn't demonstrated that he is willing to keep himself out of harm's way and our RBs just don't have the speed on the perimeter.
[Reply]
New World Order 10:46 AM 11-22-2021

This is how we won second half of 2019 season. Mahomes’ stats weren’t great but the defense was excellent.

This is what it felt like last night
[Reply]
DRM08 10:49 AM 11-22-2021
Originally Posted by ThaVirus:
IIRC, Parsons was the defender he was reading. In Mahomes' defense, if you're going to shit your pants on an option read with any defender in your face, I can mostly wave it away if that defender is Parsons. That guy is athletic as all hell. I think Pat panicked, which is defensible, but why not just go down? You panic and elect not to pitch because the guy in front of you is an athlete, but then you try to run around like a chicken with its head cut off as if you're going to outrun him for a big play? :-)
Ran some clock at least, lol
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 10:49 AM 11-22-2021
Originally Posted by ThaVirus:
I don't like the option with Pat and these RBs anyway. Pat hasn't demonstrated to me that he is willing to keep himself out of harm's way and our RBs just don't have the speed on the perimeter.
The option is a good way to 'borrow' speed to the edge, though. It makes that DE sit and read while the RB gets to get charging to the corner.

Toss plays don't work with these backs because they don't have that speed to the outside, but I think the option is a nice way to cheat ahead a bit and still leave your RB with a chance to turn the corner. And it makes the DEs respect the run just a little more.

I like that they're part of the playbook.
[Reply]
Page 228 of 288
« First < 128178218224225226227228 229230231232238278 > Last »
Up