ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 139 of 192
« First < 3989129135136137138139 140141142143149189 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Chiefs Trade for OT Orlando Brown
Dante84 01:00 PM 04-23-2021
developing.

The #Ravens are trading LT Orlando Brown to the #Chiefs, per me and @MikeGarafolo. A new blindside protector for Patrick Mahomes.

— Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) April 23, 2021

Kansas City is trading its first-round pick Thursday night, along with three other picks in the 2021 and 2022 drafts, to the Baltimore Ravens in exchange for Pro Bowl OT Orlando Brown and one pick in the 2021 draft and another in 2022, per sources.

— Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) April 23, 2021

Full details: #Chiefs get:
Orland Brown, 2021 2nd and a 2022 6th rounder
Ravens get: 2021 1st, 3rd, 4th and 20221 5th

— Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) April 23, 2021

[Reply]
Dunerdr 09:12 AM 10-05-2021
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:
I think this is it, more than anything.

A win (or non-loss) where he shoves the edge rusher wide and deep around the pocket doesn’t look as smooth or dominant as a set where he slide kicks and walls a guy off.

I’ll take the trade-off, though, for having much less threat of a bull rush into Mahomes’ lap.
Exactly. Hes not sexy going face mask to face mask locking guys up like what people envision with a great LT. He long arm and strong arms more often than he really puts two hands on a guy and controls them. As long as Mahomes isnt getting killed or pressured a lot because of him, its a win.
[Reply]
Lzen 10:00 AM 10-05-2021
Originally Posted by TomBarndtsTwin:
I wasn’t against the Chiefs getting Brown. They wanted Williams and went after him hard and came up short (which honestly, will probably end up being a blessing in disguise) and pivoted to Brown, which was probably the next best option, especially considering the trade compensation (overall, minimal).

But I have not been impressed so far. He gets beat on and island, has trouble with speed rushers, just doesn’t look comfortable. Now, he is VERY good at run blocking, but not sure that’s exactly what this team needs going forward.

I’m fine with him this year. He’s on a rookie contract, he’s likely better than what we would have ended up with had we gone a different route. That said, based on what I’ve watched so far this season, he does NOT look anything like one of the best LT’s in the NFL. And that is what he is going to want to be paid as after this season is up. I would not give him 20+ mil. per year based on what I’ve seen so far.

Obviously, others feel different.

Our cap situation is going to be a bit perilous next year and the Chiefs are gonna have to be really smart about how they spend their money for the next couple years.

Maybe OBJ balls out the rest of the season or gets significantly better as a pass blocker as the season goes along. I certainly hope so and he proves me wrong.

But time will tell . . . . . .
I agree that while Brown does appear to be getting better in this offense, he still isn't great at pass blocking. Time will tell, I guess.

And I really hate when people refer to him as OBJ. There is already one OBJ in the league and he plays WR for Cleveland. :-)
[Reply]
Tribal Warfare 11:52 AM 10-05-2021
Originally Posted by Lzen:
I agree that while Brown does appear to be getting better in this offense, he still isn't great at pass blocking. Time will tell, I guess.

And I really hate when people refer to him as OBJ. There is already one OBJ in the league and he plays WR for Cleveland. :-)

Fuck anyone who's named Mike Williams too amirite ?
[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 12:47 PM 10-05-2021
Originally Posted by TomBarndtsTwin:
This is a fair assessment.

Still hesitant to commit to that big long term contract for Brown after this season based on what we've seen so far, but again, only 4 games.

Willing to wait and see . . . . . .
Agreed. He deserves a good deal, but, perhaps, not an elite LT deal.
[Reply]
suzzer99 01:05 PM 10-05-2021
Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla:
Agreed. He deserves a good deal, but, perhaps, not an elite LT deal.
Which would be perfect. We can't afford an elite LT deal. But even a good LT is really hard to find.

I've always thought we got lucky that Fisher was just good enough to be cost effective for 10 years and not elite - which would break the bank or we lose him.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 01:08 PM 10-05-2021
Originally Posted by suzzer99:
Which would be perfect. We can't afford an elite LT deal. But even a good LT is really hard to find.
That's not really the way the league works, unfortunately.

If you're a young LT with a couple of Pro Bowls on your resume and you play for a winning team, you can ask for (and will almost certainly receive) a record deal for your position.

He may not beat Trent Williams AAV but at his age, somebody will almost certainly offer him the largest total value. And at that point it all comes down to structure.
[Reply]
Dunerdr 01:17 PM 10-05-2021
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
That's not really the way the league works, unfortunately.

If you're a young LT with a couple of Pro Bowls on your resume and you play for a winning team, you can ask for (and will almost certainly receive) a record deal for your position.

He may not beat Trent Williams AAV but at his age, somebody will almost certainly offer him the largest total value. And at that point it all comes down to structure.
Yup. If you are a top 10 talent you will likely get paid like the number one until the next guy signs. But with silverbacks current contract, a guy like brown may just be paid like a top 3.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 01:21 PM 10-05-2021
Originally Posted by Dunerdr:
Yup. If you are a top 10 talent you will likely get paid like the number one until the next guy signs. But with silverbacks current contract, a guy like brown may just be paid like a top 3.
And ultimately that's why it was so critical not to go full Texans and give up so much for the guy that you HAD to get him re-signed.

If the Chiefs just can't get a deal done that's reasonable and have to tag him for 2022 and then maybe trade him with the tag attached in 2023 for something like a 3rd rounder, then they've gotten 2 reasonably priced seasons of a LT while they figure out a new course of action for roughly the cost of a mid-2. Sometimes that 2 can be Chris Jones but just as often its Breeland Speaks or Mecole Hardman. A good LT for a couple years is probably worth that, especially if you can recover some value in a tag/trade.

It's just awfully damn hard to build around your long-term bookend Ts both breaking down simultaneously. They needed, at worst, a near term solution that wasn't completely cost prohibitive.

They got that. And they didn't give up so much that they HAVE to pay OBJ's price, no matter how exorbitant his demands.
[Reply]
Lzen 01:23 PM 10-05-2021
Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare:
**** anyone who's named Mike Williams too amirite ?
It's one thing to use a guy's full name.

It's like when they started referring to Ladanian Tomlinson as LT all the time. I hated that, too. LT was always Lawrence Taylor. But hey, at least they didn't play in the same era.
[Reply]
Kiimo 01:24 PM 10-05-2021
Remember we can franchise him for one more year without paying big money to get a really good assessment before paying him the big bucks.
[Reply]
IowaHawkeyeChief 01:28 PM 10-05-2021
Originally Posted by jd1020:
I don't give a shit what the "equivalency" is. We gave up a 1st round pick.

I'm not complaining about the trade, but you don't make that move if you think you can't improve over even Eric Fisher.
We did and we got a 2nd round pick... Who would you give up, Nick Bolton or Creed Humphrey?
[Reply]
Lzen 01:29 PM 10-05-2021
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
And ultimately that's why it was so critical not to go full Texans and give up so much for the guy that you HAD to get him re-signed.

If the Chiefs just can't get a deal done that's reasonable and have to tag him for 2022 and then maybe trade him with the tag attached in 2023 for something like a 3rd rounder, then they've gotten 2 reasonably priced seasons of a LT while they figure out a new course of action for roughly the cost of a mid-2. Sometimes that 2 can be Chris Jones but just as often its Breeland Speaks or Mecole Hardman. A good LT for a couple years is probably worth that, especially if you can recover some value in a tag/trade.

It's just awfully damn hard to build around your long-term bookend Ts both breaking down simultaneously. They needed, at worst, a near term solution that wasn't completely cost prohibitive.

They got that. And they didn't give up so much that they HAVE to pay OBJ's price, no matter how exorbitant his demands.

Good assessment. This is a good example of Brett Veach's skill in negotiations. IMO, it was the best move he could have made. In the past, we had GMs that would be afraid to take a chance like this. I love that we have a GM who is not afraid to make these kinds of moves but is also smart about it. Sure, sometimes they don't work out.
[Reply]
suzzer99 01:31 PM 10-05-2021
Originally Posted by Kiimosabi:
Remember we can franchise him for one more year without paying big money to get a really good assessment before paying him the big bucks.
Don't players hate that though? I'm trying to remember the last time the Chiefs franchised a player except Dee Ford, who said he was fine with it.
[Reply]
Kiimo 01:39 PM 10-05-2021
They hate it

So what
[Reply]
tredadda 01:52 PM 10-05-2021
Originally Posted by suzzer99:
Don't players hate that though? I'm trying to remember the last time the Chiefs franchised a player except Dee Ford, who said he was fine with it.
He should have been fine with it considering he cost us a shot at the SB.
[Reply]
Page 139 of 192
« First < 3989129135136137138139 140141142143149189 > Last »
Up