ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3681 of 3903
« First < 2681318135813631367136773678367936803681 3682368336843685369137313781 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
jdubya 02:34 PM 08-23-2021
Originally Posted by penguinz:
So getting a better medical plan will all of a sudden free up rooms and staff in her local hospitals?
Maybe, my 87 year old mother just had elective hip replacement. Yes our county numbers are covid high too but elective surgeries are done at other private locations.
[Reply]
penguinz 02:36 PM 08-23-2021
Originally Posted by jdubya:
Maybe, my 87 year old mother just had elective hip replacement. Yes our county numbers are covid high too but elective surgeries are done at other private locations.
So she should move to a location with more options. Great solutions you have.
[Reply]
dirk digler 02:36 PM 08-23-2021
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:
Oh, this is coming. Hospitals that are out of beds are going to start prioritizing.

Insurance companies are also going to stop agreeing to pay for even necessary treatment if you are hospitalized for COVID and not vaccinated.

So... if you choose not to vaccinate, get COVID, and end up in the hospital for a long period of time... guess what? You're footing the bill on you own and going to be begging the hospital to write off as much as it can and making monthly payments to that hospital for a LOOOOOONG time.
It is costing us big time for these people who refuse to get vaccinated.

Originally Posted by :
Covid-19 hospitalizations in unvaccinated people cost the US health system $2.3 billion in June and July alone, a number which is likely an understatement, according to an analysis from the Kaiser Family Foundation published Friday.

KFF looked at various sources, including CMS data and analyses of private claims, to find that the average cost of a Covid-19 hospitalization was around $20,000.

They used Health and Human Services and US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention data to find the number of preventable Covid-19 hospitalizations in the US in the months of June, 37,000 preventable hospitalizations, and July, 76,000 preventable hospitalizations.

“If each of these preventable hospitalizations cost roughly $20,000, on average, that would mean these largely avoidable hospitalizations have already cost the U.S. health system billions of dollars since the beginning of June,” the analysis says.
For this estimate, they looked at those who were hospitalized primarily due to Covid-19 and adjusted that number to reflect the fact that even if unvaccinated adults had got the vaccine, it would not prevent 100% of hospitalizations. Then they multiplied the number of preventable hospitalizations by the cost of each hospitalization, using a typical cost of $20,000.

“Based on our estimates, described below, we find preventable Covid-19 cost the U.S. health system $2.3 billion in June and July 2021,” the analysis says.

However, the analysis noted that “this ballpark figure is likely an understatement of the cost burden on the health system from treatment of Covid-19 among unvaccinated adults.”

[Reply]
Bearcat 02:37 PM 08-23-2021
Originally Posted by sedated:
I saw a conversation about this in DC (although I can't find it now) and obviously it did not go over well in that crowd. I think the argument was that why aren't we doing that for other groups like smokers and obese.

I believe the common term for this line of thinking is "slippery slope"
They largely prevented smoking from impacting other people by banning it in just about all indoor spaces, and neither of those things are overcrowding hospitals, while smokers enjoy higher insurance premiums and being taxed to hell on cigarettes.

I would see their "slippery slope" and raise them a "proportional response".
[Reply]
Otter 02:38 PM 08-23-2021
Maybe you should just reference your quote next time. Stop being a lazy bitch.
Did a guy sitting in front of a computer at 2:00pm in the afternoon on a Monday surfing the internet just write this?
[Reply]
Marcellus 02:38 PM 08-23-2021
Originally Posted by dirk digler:
It is costing us big time for these people who refuse to get vaccinated.
Lets make sure to keep doing this for fat asses and smokers after covid is over.

Unnecessarily unhealthy people have been driving up our healthcare cost for decades. This didn't start with covid.
[Reply]
jdubya 02:39 PM 08-23-2021
So she should move to a location with more options. Great solutions you have.
If my grandmother needed a hernia procedure, yes I would search other locations or plans without hesitation. If you want to scream at people for not getting vaccines, have at it. I prefer realistic solutions
[Reply]
dirk digler 02:44 PM 08-23-2021
Originally Posted by Marcellus:
Lets make sure to keep doing this for fat asses and smokers after covid is over.

Unnecessarily unhealthy people have been driving up our healthcare cost for decades. This didn't start with covid.
True but those are life long habits and no shot to give them to stop their bad habits. It takes zero effort to get a covid vaccine.
[Reply]
DaFace 02:50 PM 08-23-2021

It's not very common, but there's certainly precedent for it. Life insurance policy premiums are usually based on a health questionnaire and screen, so people who are overweight or unhealthy pay a lot more for it. My guess is the reason we don't see that much in health insurance is just the weird way we've always done it through employers.

That said, we do tax the shit out of cigarettes, so in a sense people pay extra for the habit. It's just not directly tied to healthcare. And while obesity probably should come with higher premiums, it's less effective when half of the people out there would be paying the extra for it.
[Reply]
Fish 02:54 PM 08-23-2021
Originally Posted by jdubya:
Sounds like she has a horrible medical plan/group.. Maybe you should find her a better plan?
Yeah, because hospital room availability is dependent on what type of insurance you have. :-) Dumbass.
[Reply]
jdubya 03:03 PM 08-23-2021
Originally Posted by Fish:
Yeah, because hospital room availability is dependent on what type of insurance you have. :-) Dumbass.
Medical plans can determine where one can have elective procedures that aren’t dependent on hospitals. Hope this helps
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 03:13 PM 08-23-2021

Do you understand how insurance premiums work?

Because they already account for these factors. And health insurance companies have been incentivizing like crazy to get people to make better health decisions (premium reductions and etc.).
[Reply]
sedated 03:24 PM 08-23-2021
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:
Do you understand how insurance premiums work?

Because they already account for these factors. And health insurance companies have been incentivizing like crazy to get people to make better health decisions (premium reductions and etc.).
[Devil's advocate] I don't think health insurance premiums are the main area of concern, they would want the same treatment for those that are willingly "unhealthy". Ie, no cancer treatment for smokers, since they made that choice. No treatment for heart disease for anyone who has a certain body fat percentage, since they should have made healthier choices. Etc.
[Reply]
penguinz 03:28 PM 08-23-2021
Originally Posted by Otter:
Did a guy sitting in front of a computer at 2:00pm in the afternoon on a Monday surfing the internet just write this?
Some of us have amazing jobs that require us to be on the internet for 7+ hours a day.
[Reply]
Rain Man 03:33 PM 08-23-2021
Originally Posted by dirk digler:
True but those are life long habits and no shot to give them to stop their bad habits. It takes zero effort to get a covid vaccine.
I think that's a key to it. No one argues that we don't all have bad habits that will eventually cause us to need health care, but most of those are slow burns that don't overcrowd the Healthcare System all at once. The problem with covid is that the unvaccinated people are going in en masse in a short period of time.
[Reply]
Page 3681 of 3903
« First < 2681318135813631367136773678367936803681 3682368336843685369137313781 > Last »
Up