ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 7 of 24
« First < 34567 89101117 > Last »
Patteeu Memorial Political Forum>Dave Chapelle's "The Closer": He Fucking Roasts Everyone
AdolfOliverBush 11:30 AM 10-12-2021
Of course comedy is subjective, but I loved it. Chappelle absolutely does not give a rat's ass about backlash for his words. Comedy should be without limits. I think even us maniacs in CPDC who watch it will mostly give it a thumbs up.

Netflix chief Ted Sarandos defends controversial Dave Chappelle special in staff memo: Reports
Jenna Ryu
USA TODAY

Netflix co-CEO Ted Sarandos is defending his decision to keep comedian Dave Chappelle's controversial special "The Closer" on the streaming service.

In a Friday staff memo obtained by Variety and The Verge, Sarandos pledged Netflix's commitment to the special, despite backlash about the comedian's transphobic comments. "Chappelle is one of the most popular stand-up comedians today, and we have a long standing deal with him," Sarandos wrote in Chappelle's defense.

He continued: "As with our other talent, we work hard to support their creative freedom – even though this means there will always be content on Netflix some people believe is harmful, like 'Cuties,' '365 Days,' '13 Reasons Why,' or 'My Unorthodox Life.' "

Chappelle drew criticism for his comments in the special about the transgender community, including his defense of author J. K. Rowling, who previously conflated sex with gender and defended ideas suggesting that changing one's biological sex was a threat to her own gender identity.

"They canceled J.K. Rowling – my God," Chappelle said. "Effectually she said gender was a fact, the trans community got mad as (expletive), they started calling her a TERF… I'm Team TERF. I agree. I agree, man. Gender is a fact."

TERF is an acronym that stands for "trans exclusionary radical feminists" and describes feminists who are transphobic.

In the memo, Sarandos used Chappelle's previous special "Sticks & Stones" as an example, writing that it was also "controversial" and "our most watched, stickiest, and most award winning stand-up special to date."

USA TODAY has reached out to Netflix for comment.

Netflix CEO Ted Sarandos defended comedian Dave Chappelle's controversial comedy special, "The Closer." Sarandos also said Netflix doesn't believe that "The Closer" promotes hate speech.

"Several of you have also asked where we draw the line on hate. We don’t allow titles on Netflix that are designed to incite hate or violence, and we don’t believe 'The Closer' crosses that line," he said.

"I recognize, however, that distinguishing between commentary and harm is hard, especially with stand-up comedy which exists to push boundaries. Some people find the art of stand-up to be mean-spirited but our members enjoy it, and it’s an important part of our content offering."

"The Closer," the sixth installment in the comedian's Netflix deal, which the "Chappelle's Show" comedian describes as "his last special for a minute," includes tongue-in-cheek jokes about race, the coronavirus pandemic and negotiating "the release of DaBaby" after the rapper's homophobic comments.

Many on social media slammed Chappelle and the streaming platform, including writer Jaclyn Moore, who also serves as showrunner for Netflix's "Dear White People."

In-depth story:How trans 'Harry Potter' fans are grappling with J.K. Rowling's legacy after her transphobic comments

"I've been thrown against walls because, 'I'm not a "real" woman,' " Moore, who is transgender, tweeted. "I've had beer bottles thrown at me. So, @Netflix, I'm done."

Advocacy group GLAAD responded to the memo Monday.

“Netflix has a policy that content ‘designed to incite hate or violence’ is not allowed on the platform, but we all know that anti-LGBTQ content does exactly that," GLAAD said in a statement. "While Netflix is home to groundbreaking LGBTQ stories, now is the time for Netflix execs to listen to LGBTQ employees, industry leaders, and audiences and commit to living up to their own standards.”

Last week, the group tweeted that Chappelle's brand "has become synonymous with ridiculing trans people and other marginalized communities."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/enter...ts/6094754001/
[Reply]
listopencil 06:08 AM 10-14-2021
Originally Posted by NJChiefsFan27:
I'm referring to the many homophobic slurs he has used over the years. People didn't really care and he didn't get cancelled until sexual assault allegations surfaced.
Louis CK is a brilliant artist. His medium is speech and his tools are words. Those slurs are part of his palette. His jokes are crafted and then honed through a complex and lengthy process. Be assured that if you hear him perform and you are ever caught up by the words he chooses then you completely missed the joke, and you are the lesser for it.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 06:17 AM 10-14-2021
Originally Posted by listopencil:
Louis CK is a brilliant artist. His medium is speech and his tools are words. Those slurs are part of his palette. His jokes are crafted and then honed through a complex and lengthy process. Be assured that if you hear him perform and you are ever caught up by the words he chooses then you completely missed the joke, and you are the lesser for it.
It was a brilliant bit to grouse about wanting to cancel the N-word, not the N-word that the N-word is replacing, but the 'N-word' you have to say to replace it.



'don't hide behind the first letter like a fucking faggot'

:-) :-)
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 06:29 AM 10-14-2021
Stand-up comedy needs to save the world. Nothing beats this overreaction more than a comedian who flat out doesn't give a shit what people think. A guy like Dave not only doesn't care if he gets canceled, his act will only grow. Gotta respect guys like Chapelle and Bill burr and norm (RIP) who never let the public dictate his comedy.
[Reply]
vonBobo 10:38 AM 10-14-2021
Originally Posted by Bump:
can't dispute it. Northam and Kimmel. 1 is a dem politician and 1 is a shill and they got away with it.
You should send an email to the cancel folks, and don't leave out the rhetoric about trans and Jews either.
[Reply]
NJChiefsFan27 12:41 PM 10-14-2021
Originally Posted by staylor26:
Yea, you’ve pretty much disqualified yourself from this conversation. Not that I ever believed you had a sense of humor anyways.
Why do I give a shit what a conservative thinks about my sense of humor? Who is the best comedian you guys have, Larry the Cable guy? :-)

Originally Posted by :
Why wait for there to be a pattern? “Diversity Day” is easily one of the funniest episodes. Michael’s Chris Rock impersonation scene might be my favorite scene in the entire series, and it’s at the very least top 3.
I don't know. It would give your argument a lot more credibility? You're asserting that Comedy Central is now "woke" because of one decision they made. Maybe that's true, but I'm highly skeptical given that the network as a whole is anything but and features a lot of pretty vulgar / politically incorrect content. It doesn't really make sense that they would be catering to the people you're talking about given that they never have before.

Originally Posted by :
As for the Roseanne thing, that lady doesn’t even look black, so there goes that dumb excuse too. The picture I posted makes it incredibly obvious what she meant, and it’s clearly not about race. She legitimately looks like that character.
What are you talking about? She clearly looks like she is part black. But it appears that you don't even think that matters as long as the black person does actually resemble an ape in your eyes so there's really no need for you to throw in all of these caveats.

Originally Posted by :
Of course you’re low key siding with the offended crowd on all of these issues while claiming to be on the side of comedy though.
I'm sure you feel that way about everybody who pushes back on your silly false narratives.
[Reply]
staylor26 12:49 PM 10-14-2021
I’m not a fucking conservative you dumb fuck. I don’t “have” a comedian. I like comedians like Dave Chapelle (though not as much since his return), Bill Burr, Patrice O’Neal (RIP). I am a Cuban that is born and raised in South Florida. I hardly relate to Larry the Cable guy or his audience you ignorant moron.

It says a lot about you that you have to create some sort of strawman of your opposition in it’s entirety. You don’t just do it with arguments, you literally create a strawman of the person you’re arguing with. It really goes to show how deep your bad faith is. I think I’m just going to mock you from now on as opposed to trying to engage in any meaningful way.

You’re absolutely a waste of time and a cult member. You think everybody that disagrees with you is a Trump cult member because you’re in the anti-Trump cult. I often refer to it as the woke cult, but it’s all the same shit.
[Reply]
kjwood75nro 02:53 PM 10-14-2021
Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501:
Stand-up comedy needs to save the world. Nothing beats this overreaction more than a comedian who flat out doesn't give a shit what people think. A guy like Dave not only doesn't care if he gets canceled, his act will only grow. Gotta respect guys like Chapelle and Bill burr and norm (RIP) who never let the public dictate his comedy.
I wouldn't count on Bill Burr. He's definitely lost his edge.

Back in the heydays of Patrice O'Neal, Jim Norton, Anthony Cumia, and Nick Dipaolo, Burr was fearless. Now, he's race-cucked.
[Reply]
staylor26 02:56 PM 10-14-2021
Originally Posted by kjwood75nro:
I wouldn't count on Bill Burr. He's definitely lost his edge.

Back in the heydays of Patrice O'Neal, Jim Norton, Anthony Cumia, and Nick Dipaolo, Burr was fearless. Now, he's race-outstanding citizened.
Sad, but kind of true.

Patrice O’Neal is honestly what we really need, but obviously he’s no longer with us. He would’ve been perfect. Dude even defended Don Imus in the name of comedy :-)
[Reply]
Prison Bitch 03:06 PM 10-14-2021
Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501:
Stand-up comedy needs to save the world. Nothing beats this overreaction more than a comedian who flat out doesn't give a shit what people think. A guy like Dave not only doesn't care if he gets canceled, his act will only grow. Gotta respect guys like Chapelle and Bill burr and norm (RIP) who never let the public dictate his comedy.

These posts show how few of you have watched his show. He didn’t defiantly stand anti-tranny at all. His entire second half was some weird type of appologia of his earlier bits and why he’s actually truly not-anti-tranny after all.

After one quip about how “gender is real”, he did some tortured long (boring) recount of how he made friends with a tranny comedian. And at the end begged the LGBT crazies to stop “punching down” on him.

I lost respect for him when he closed that way. Went out with a whimper instead of a bang.
[Reply]
AdolfOliverBush 03:10 PM 10-14-2021
What we really need is some old school Dice.


[Reply]
NJChiefsFan27 04:17 PM 10-14-2021
Originally Posted by staylor26:
I’m not a ****ing conservative you dumb ****.
We've been over this before. If you overlap with conservatives on 95% of issues that makes you a conservative to me. Would you rather me refer to people like you as right wingers? Let me know the term you would be comfortable with describing you and people who think like you as and I'll use that instead. I'm just using labels out of convenience.

Originally Posted by :
I don’t “have” a comedian. I like comedians like Dave Chapelle (though not as much since his return), Bill Burr, Patrice O’Neal (RIP). I am a Cuban that is born and raised in South Florida. I hardly relate to Larry the Cable guy or his audience you ignorant moron.
I am a fan of all of those guys as well, but I find it really odd that you connect so much with Chappelle and O'Neal given that so much of their comedy is informed by a worldview that racism is pervasive and ingrained in American society. If you reject that premise, which most people on the right do, I just don't get how you can really appreciate their material. Here's O'Neal discussing openly discussing his views on racism. You should give it a listen.



His statements here encapsulate a lot of what his stand up is about. And that isn't to say that you need to agree with everything he says here, but there's no way you are really engaging with his comedy without a shared understanding of the racism that is embedded in American society.

Here's a short clip of one of Dave Chappelle's many bits discussing racism in a humorous light. It's fantastic and the closing joke is perfect. But why does it work? Because there is a shared understanding among the audience that black lives are not valued the same as others in society. And this performance took place over a decade before BLM came to exist. If you enjoy Chappelle and O'Neal despite disagreeing with the subtext of their material you are not really getting the point of their comedy and are laughing at the jokes on a very superficial level (funny voices, racial stereotypes, etc.).



Originally Posted by :
It says a lot about you that you have to create some sort of strawman of your opposition in it’s entirety. You don’t just do it with arguments, you literally create a strawman of the person you’re arguing with. It really goes to show how deep your bad faith is. I think I’m just going to mock you from now on as opposed to trying to engage in any meaningful way.

You’re absolutely a waste of time and a cult member. You think everybody that disagrees with you is a Trump cult member because you’re in the anti-Trump cult. I often refer to it as the woke cult, but it’s all the same shit.
Where did I strawman you? Be specific. Personally I'm tired of having to defend this 'woke' bogeyman that the right has created but I still do my best to humor you guys with a serious response.
[Reply]
staylor26 04:27 PM 10-14-2021
Yea you don’t have to agree with everything a comedian believes to appreciate the fact that they’re fucking hilarious. It’s not like I believe racism doesn’t exist either. The thing about Patrice was that he also had the self-awareness to not be a hypocrite. I respected that more than anything.

Patrice would absolutely have defended Roseanne, and you would have been in disagreement there. If you think Patrice would agree with you on a lot of this shit, you have no fucking clue about Patrice O’Neal.

I mean, the guy even defended Don Imus’s right to make a joke. He was very principled when it came to comedy, and he would’ve rejected all of the woke nonsense infecting it if he were still here today.
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 04:30 PM 10-14-2021
Originally Posted by NJChiefsFan27:
Personally I'm tired of having to defend this 'woke' bogeyman that the right has created but I still do my best to humor you guys with a serious response.
You seriously typed that after linking the Patrice O'Neal video where he outright states he believes all white people are racist.
[Reply]
staylor26 04:34 PM 10-14-2021
Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower:
You seriously typed that after linking the Patrice O'Neal video where he outright states he believes all white people are racist.
He posted that in a thread about backlash Chapelle has received for saying nothing but facts in a comedy special.
[Reply]
staylor26 04:42 PM 10-14-2021
Patrice would also be considered extremely misogynistic, homophobic, transphobic, etc. by today’s standards.

I find it really odd that NJ would connect with him given that so much of his comedy is informed by a worldview that women are lesser than men, homosexuality is no less deviant than pissing on somebody, and I’m sure he would agree with Chapelle that biological sex is a fact and the LGBTQ community and their allies are fucking insane.

See how that works?

You only “find it odd” that I would connect with him because you’re assuming everything about me, including that I’m racist because I would disagree with some of his views on race. You assume I’m some racist white dude that watches Larry the Cable guy, so there’s no way I can relate to Patrice O’Nesl. That’s why I mean when I say you’ve created a strawman in your head of me as a person.
[Reply]
Page 7 of 24
« First < 34567 89101117 > Last »
Up