ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 14 of 24
« First < 41011121314 15161718 > Last »
Patteeu Memorial Political Forum>Dave Chapelle's "The Closer": He Fucking Roasts Everyone
AdolfOliverBush 11:30 AM 10-12-2021
Of course comedy is subjective, but I loved it. Chappelle absolutely does not give a rat's ass about backlash for his words. Comedy should be without limits. I think even us maniacs in CPDC who watch it will mostly give it a thumbs up.

Netflix chief Ted Sarandos defends controversial Dave Chappelle special in staff memo: Reports
Jenna Ryu
USA TODAY

Netflix co-CEO Ted Sarandos is defending his decision to keep comedian Dave Chappelle's controversial special "The Closer" on the streaming service.

In a Friday staff memo obtained by Variety and The Verge, Sarandos pledged Netflix's commitment to the special, despite backlash about the comedian's transphobic comments. "Chappelle is one of the most popular stand-up comedians today, and we have a long standing deal with him," Sarandos wrote in Chappelle's defense.

He continued: "As with our other talent, we work hard to support their creative freedom – even though this means there will always be content on Netflix some people believe is harmful, like 'Cuties,' '365 Days,' '13 Reasons Why,' or 'My Unorthodox Life.' "

Chappelle drew criticism for his comments in the special about the transgender community, including his defense of author J. K. Rowling, who previously conflated sex with gender and defended ideas suggesting that changing one's biological sex was a threat to her own gender identity.

"They canceled J.K. Rowling – my God," Chappelle said. "Effectually she said gender was a fact, the trans community got mad as (expletive), they started calling her a TERF… I'm Team TERF. I agree. I agree, man. Gender is a fact."

TERF is an acronym that stands for "trans exclusionary radical feminists" and describes feminists who are transphobic.

In the memo, Sarandos used Chappelle's previous special "Sticks & Stones" as an example, writing that it was also "controversial" and "our most watched, stickiest, and most award winning stand-up special to date."

USA TODAY has reached out to Netflix for comment.

Netflix CEO Ted Sarandos defended comedian Dave Chappelle's controversial comedy special, "The Closer." Sarandos also said Netflix doesn't believe that "The Closer" promotes hate speech.

"Several of you have also asked where we draw the line on hate. We don’t allow titles on Netflix that are designed to incite hate or violence, and we don’t believe 'The Closer' crosses that line," he said.

"I recognize, however, that distinguishing between commentary and harm is hard, especially with stand-up comedy which exists to push boundaries. Some people find the art of stand-up to be mean-spirited but our members enjoy it, and it’s an important part of our content offering."

"The Closer," the sixth installment in the comedian's Netflix deal, which the "Chappelle's Show" comedian describes as "his last special for a minute," includes tongue-in-cheek jokes about race, the coronavirus pandemic and negotiating "the release of DaBaby" after the rapper's homophobic comments.

Many on social media slammed Chappelle and the streaming platform, including writer Jaclyn Moore, who also serves as showrunner for Netflix's "Dear White People."

In-depth story:How trans 'Harry Potter' fans are grappling with J.K. Rowling's legacy after her transphobic comments

"I've been thrown against walls because, 'I'm not a "real" woman,' " Moore, who is transgender, tweeted. "I've had beer bottles thrown at me. So, @Netflix, I'm done."

Advocacy group GLAAD responded to the memo Monday.

“Netflix has a policy that content ‘designed to incite hate or violence’ is not allowed on the platform, but we all know that anti-LGBTQ content does exactly that," GLAAD said in a statement. "While Netflix is home to groundbreaking LGBTQ stories, now is the time for Netflix execs to listen to LGBTQ employees, industry leaders, and audiences and commit to living up to their own standards.”

Last week, the group tweeted that Chappelle's brand "has become synonymous with ridiculing trans people and other marginalized communities."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/enter...ts/6094754001/
[Reply]
KCUnited 01:22 PM 10-21-2021
Shit, white people are my biggest problem as well. We've become insufferable.
[Reply]
DJJasonp 01:36 PM 10-21-2021
Originally Posted by BlackOp:
I'm old fashioned...if I dont like something, I turn it off.

I dont demand they cater to my idealism....the dude is a comedian not an elected politician...he owes me nothing.

This generation of narcissistic, pampered asswipes think society revolves around them...it doesnt.
I was thinking the same.

Hell, I go as far back as a kid in Junior High.......and remember being subjected to people with ideas and opinions I didnt agree with.

What did I do? Walked the other way, and chose other people to be around/call friends.

That simple.
[Reply]
DJJasonp 01:43 PM 10-21-2021
Originally Posted by mkp785:
Yet somehow I bet you love the "zingers" Greg Gutfeld makes on his late night show. Since he's the only mainstream RW on late night TV.
Jeezus dude......you are obsessed with the right/left thing and trying to prove your tribe is better than the other.
[Reply]
NJChiefsFan27 01:44 PM 10-21-2021
Originally Posted by staylor26:
That’s not at all true.

By that logic, wouldn’t I have the same problem with Chappelle? I’ve made it very clear that I don’t have to agree with somebody to find them funny.

I don’t find their content funny.

Except for Colbert, he’s been really funny to laugh at lately with his dancing. Still cringe though.
Chappelle doesn't really go after conservatives or do anything overtly political though so you can't really compare him to Stewart or Colbert.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 01:52 PM 10-21-2021
Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501:
Ive said before that the silent majority too often gets pulled into conforming to the extremes... These days it's often in solidarity because they are extremely opposed to the opposite alternative. They'd rather agree with being woke than align themselves with racists.

Which opens up another can of worms. Most people accused of being racist are not racist (that is a woke accusation). Most people accused of being sjw are not as woke as you think. But we continue to lump in the middle with these extremes so these groups seem way bigger than they are.

Ive said before that's the reason you wind up with these bland establishment candidates like Biden. Because not standing for anything seems more popular than freaking out over everything.
Worry less about who people you don't agree with to begin with associate you with, and worry more about standing up for what you DO agree with.

Ideally, each and every one could find amicable communities in the diversity of the nation, but right now we have a pogrom of imposition and capitulation going on. So if you aren't already completely on board with what you see being imposed, you have a communal duty to assert your own perspective, . . . if for no other reason than so people know it exists.
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 02:01 PM 10-21-2021
Originally Posted by Baby Lee:
Worry less about who people you don't agree with to begin with associate you with, and worry more about standing up for what you DO agree with.

Ideally, each and every one could find amicable communities in the diversity of the nation, but right now we have a pogrom of imposition and capitulation going on. So if you aren't already completely on board with what you see being imposed, you have a communal duty to assert your own perspective, . . . if for no other reason than so people know it exists.
I think many people find that pointless. Why rock the boat when all it does is get you in trouble. Nothing to be gained. That's the failure of the two party system. The reason it's a silent majority is because action is pointless and it's just not worth the effort to raise a stink about it.

I believe polls from the last election shows that most people voted against a candidate than voted for one. That's a very real and heavy problem.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 02:03 PM 10-21-2021
I think many people find that pointless. Why rock the boat when all it does is get you in trouble. Nothing to be gained. That's the failure of the two party system. The reason it's a silent majority is because action is pointless and it's just not worth the effort to raise a stink about it.

I believe polls from the last election shows that most people voted against a candidate than voted for one. That's a very real and heavy problem.
Then, operationally, you have no gripe whatsoever about woke activism, and no grounds to gripe about what it brings about.
[Reply]
BlackOp 02:31 PM 10-21-2021
So are they going to dox the guy who had his sign broken and demand he be fired...it's what these wormy little spineless turds do.

You only can have their opinions...or there will repercussions.
[Reply]
kjwood75nro 02:38 PM 10-21-2021
Check out "The Coofunist" on Twitter.

He's Dick Masterson, and the fat(ter) guy with him is Vito Gesualdi. Both are comedians who do a podcast together.

Dick got thrown into a concrete structure, and Vito got accused of profanity where none existed.
[Reply]
kjwood75nro 02:57 PM 10-21-2021
https://twitter.com/i/status/1450879317857038338
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 03:12 PM 10-21-2021
Then, operationally, you have no gripe whatsoever about woke activism, and no grounds to gripe about what it brings about.
So you're a racist because you don't gripe enough about the worst elements of nationalism pushing an extreme version of exclusion? Why go after the voiceless who's only choice is to choose the better of two extremes. I sympathize with some social causes but also see the ridiculousness and counter productiveness of gross overreaction. There are plenty who also support trump only because they hate what leftists stand for. These people aren't the problem. The problem is a system that has forced the majority of the country to protest what they hate instead of aligning to any actual ideology.
[Reply]
BucEyedPea 03:21 PM 10-21-2021
Now I'll have to watch this show, because I haven't. Controversy usually makes more people tune it. Stupid social justice warriors.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 03:22 PM 10-21-2021
So you're a racist because you don't gripe enough about the worst elements of nationalism pushing an extreme version of exclusion? Why go after the voiceless who's only choice is to choose the better of two extremes. I sympathize with some social causes but also see the ridiculousness and counter productiveness of gross overreaction. There are plenty who also support trump only because they hate what leftists stand for. These people aren't the problem. The problem is a system that has forced the majority of the country to protest what they hate instead of aligning to any actual ideology.
No, that's the point. I'm not a racist, but I'm more willing to have people who are inclined to pull the race card in debate to stand for what I actually support, than I am afraid of the label.

You are giving the strong sense that you agree with the woke mob, but just quibble with their methodology, and you would oppose traditionalists or nationalists, or even moderates so long as they weren't sufficiently disparaging of traditionalists and nationalists. Whether out of fear of being labelled racist or actual opposition I can't tell.

But feel free to argue otherwise. Perhaps start by outlining what actual threat do you see from 'extremists' of the right? Lay out a hierarchy of their potential depredations compared to the woke mob. Something, anything beyond this 'hey, respect my steadfast position of silence and inaction regardless of what anyone else is doing in society.'
[Reply]
staylor26 05:40 PM 10-21-2021
Originally Posted by NJChiefsFan27:
Chappelle doesn't really go after conservatives or do anything overtly political though so you can't really compare him to Stewart or Colbert.
Alright, how about this, post anything relatively recent from either that you find hilarious.

I’ll wait…
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 05:40 PM 10-21-2021
No, that's the point. I'm not a racist, but I'm more willing to have people who are inclined to pull the race card in debate to stand for what I actually support, than I am afraid of the label.

You are giving the strong sense that you agree with the woke mob, but just quibble with their methodology, and you would oppose traditionalists or nationalists, or even moderates so long as they weren't sufficiently disparaging of traditionalists and nationalists. Whether out of fear of being labelled racist or actual opposition I can't tell.

But feel free to argue otherwise. Perhaps start by outlining what actual threat do you see from 'extremists' of the right? Lay out a hierarchy of their potential depredations compared to the woke mob. Something, anything beyond this 'hey, respect my steadfast position of silence and inaction regardless of what anyone else is doing in society.'
So are you marching the streets at Trump rallies? Shouting these opinions at work? I'm guessing for most of us the extent of our activism is in our inner circles and some limited social networking. Silence isn't inaction. We all talk in our inner circles about how stupid it is for everyone to get offended by stuff. Of course I'm careful about bringing politics into any many forums. Most people participate in politics by voting. That option isn't available to a group that has for decades been forced to vote against people instead of for them.

I know plenty of people who embrace diversity but despise cancel culture and see through blatant pandering. I also know plenty of conservatives who gush about America first but can see through phony patriotism and are disgusted with when it turns into blatant, genuine racism.

And believe it or not there are liberals who embrace social justice but also respect cops and veterans and the USA. And are religious and want a stronger working class and sensible immigration laws. And see the nonsense in white and privilege shaming. I've voiced this opinion many times. Honestly, it's why I believe Chapelle has appeal despite being vocal about black rights. Because he lives in yellow springs and doesn't actually hate white people just as he doesn't actually hate LGBT.

So again, I think you have a misperception about how moderates actually think. And it's a reason why most people were surprised by the Biden nomination. I saw it coming a mile away. I also see why Andrew yang left the party and I totally get it and the Chapelle endorsement makes total sense. I understand why Lynn Cheney cut ties with her party roots too. And in case you were wondering, my ideal candidate would be Justin amash... A former republican.
[Reply]
Page 14 of 24
« First < 41011121314 15161718 > Last »
Up