ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 5
1 2345 >
Media Center>If you're not in on HBO's Succession ...
Discuss Thrower 02:10 PM 09-07-2019
.. then you're missing out. It's like a harder edge Dallas laced with great dialogue peppered with dark humor.

Boar on the fucking floor.
[Reply]
OmahaChief 12:23 PM 09-09-2019
It is a must watch show. So good. Tom and Greg are awesome. Roman is pretty funny and Shiv has a great ass.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 09:10 AM 09-12-2019
Holy shit, when 'Cousin Larry' popped up as 'Cameron's' doppleganger at the Pierce/Roy Tern Haven playdate, . . . I legitimately had to pause the show from laughing.

This really was a perfectly structured and perfectly timed episode. Gotten to know the Roys enough to appreciate the nuances of their various behaviors and subtexts, and throw them into a funhouse mirror of a social interaction fraught with gravity with an old-money family on their own turf.

Every eye shift, every exhale, every pregnant pause carries significance, and that's before you even start to unravel and map out the schemes and counterschemes and weaknesses and foibles and cluenessness and utter concentration on task all jumbled up and coded into 'an evening among friends.'

That's how dramatic narrative is constructed.
Attached: Succession.jpg (36.8 KB) 
[Reply]
Baby Lee 10:45 AM 09-12-2019
Another subtle, but brutally hilarious moment
Attached: Poo.jpg (30.1 KB) 
[Reply]
Pasta Little Brioni 11:30 AM 09-12-2019
Ohhhhh k
[Reply]
ChiefsCountry 07:32 PM 10-17-2021
Best show on tv is back tonight
[Reply]
BigBeauford 10:48 PM 10-17-2021
Fire first episode. This will probably wind up as my favorite show ever.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 01:17 PM 10-19-2021
I copied a bunch of tweets, if that helps.

- We can find them, they're. . . . on Twitter? . . .
[Reply]
Baby Lee 12:14 PM 10-20-2021
Excellent observation on craft

[Reply]
ModSocks 12:35 PM 10-20-2021
Watched a trailer last night based on comments in this thread.

I feel like this is one of those shows that, based on the trailer, i have no interest in watching. But will probably be a great show if i actually sat down and watched it.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 02:50 PM 10-20-2021
Originally Posted by Detoxing:
Watched a trailer last night based on comments in this thread.

I feel like this is one of those shows that, based on the trailer, i have no interest in watching. But will probably be a great show if i actually sat down and watched it.
I can't guarantee it will be for everyone, let alone you specifically. So let me outline as concisely as possible the draw.

It's an intimate portrait of a powerbroker family that is subtly voyeuristic. The video-essay above details it more, but an almost imperceptible but very powerful aspect of this show that makes it compelling is, the viewing experience is immediate and voyeuristic, like you were eavesdropping on it at a dinner party.

The substance is generally the stuff you'd expect of a powerful family in the conglomerate business. Deals and mergers and scandals and . . . . succession, . . . health scares, information containment, PR, backstabbing, etc. But none of it is melodramatic or heightened. It's all matter-of-fact.

And it shows a lot of the psychology and dysfunction of such a family without moralizing or speechifying. A lot of it draws you in organically as you notice that no one can every actually say what they think, about important things, . . . yet they are brutally curt and gloriously blunt about things that 'don't' matter, . . . the divide will become quickly clear as well.

The voyuerism and lack of moral assessment is the big draw in the end, . . . you find yourself constantly wondering as you watch just how horrified or impressed or scandalized or disgusted you are supposed to be by what you are witnessing, and no one is there to tell you. You just soak it in and decide for yourself. The drama is all implicit and understood, never ever EVER vocalized or speechified. You are expected to be a savvy observer.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 02:57 PM 10-20-2021
Here's another important essay that lays out the intricacy of the prose.

One of the most profound sentences of our times, certainly in a TV show 'Words are just, uh what? Nothing. . . complicated airflow. . .. '

[Reply]
BigBeauford 03:05 PM 10-20-2021
Originally Posted by Baby Lee:
I can't guarantee it will be for everyone, let alone you specifically. So let me outline as concisely as possible the draw.

It's an intimate portrait of a powerbroker family that is subtly voyeuristic. The video-essay above details it more, but an almost imperceptible but very powerful aspect of this show that makes it compelling is, the viewing experience is immediate and voyeuristic, like you were eavesdropping on it at a dinner party.

The substance is generally the stuff you'd expect of a powerful family in the conglomerate business. Deals and mergers and scandals and . . . . succession, . . . health scares, information containment, PR, backstabbing, etc. But none of it is melodramatic or heightened. It's all matter-of-fact.

And it shows a lot of the psychology and dysfunction of such a family without moralizing or speechifying. A lot of it draws you in organically as you notice that no one can every actually say what they think, about important things, . . . yet they are brutally curt and gloriously blunt about things that 'don't' matter, . . . the divide will become quickly clear as well.

The voyuerism and lack of moral assessment is the big draw in the end, . . . you find yourself constantly wondering as you watch just how horrified or impressed or scandalized or disgusted you are supposed to be by what you are witnessing, and no one is there to tell you. You just soak it in and decide for yourself. The drama is all implicit and understood, never ever EVER vocalized or speechified. You are expected to be a savvy observer.

I'd be surprised if you didn't enjoy it on some level Detoxing. For me, it's the only show currently airing that I believe 5 years from now will be part of the same conversations had about Breaking Bad, The Wire, and The Sopranos.
[Reply]
ModSocks 03:24 PM 10-20-2021
Originally Posted by Baby Lee:

Originally Posted by BigBeauford:

I'd be surprised if you didn't enjoy it on some level Detoxing. For me, it's the only show currently airing that I believe 5 years from now will be part of the same conversations had about Breaking Bad, The Wire, and The Sopranos.
Imma give it a go. Comes as a good recommendation and i trust ya'lls taste on this stuff. Breaking Bad is another one of those shows that i was talking about. I heard over and over how good it was, but it still took me years to finally watch it. I finally sat down for Breaking Bad just 2-3 years ago iirc.
[Reply]
staylor26 09:11 AM 10-21-2021
Best show on TV hands down!
[Reply]
Page 1 of 5
1 2345 >
Up