ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 20 of 29
« First < 101617181920 21222324 > Last »
Media Center>So....Dune 2020. Cool?
Amnorix 03:03 PM 08-19-2019
I learned today for the first time that a remake of the awesome book (and decidedly less awesome early 80s movie) Dune is being made, and is currently in post-production with a release date of December 18, 2020.

The cast includes many I don't know, but the ones I do know seem excellent for their roles. It's damn near a Marvel reunion...

Jason Mamoa as Duncan Idaho (the swordmaster of House Atreides)

Josh Brolin as Gurney Halleck (weaponsmaster of House Atreides, played memorably (and surprisingly) by Patrick Stewart in the original movie

Stellan Skarsgard as Baron Harkonnen

Dave Bautista (better known as Drax the Destroyer) as "Beast" Rabban, the nephew of Harkonnen

The most critical guy -- the one playing Paul is unknown to me. https://www.imdb.com/name/nm3154303/?ref_=ttfc_fc_cl_t3

This film is also only going to cover the first half of the book, which is good. It's really not possible to cover the whole thing in one 2 or 3 hour movie.

Anyway -- I love the book and a really good film would be great. What say you about all this news? Or am I just the last to known (as would be typical, to be honest!)
[Reply]
Beef Supreme 09:40 AM 10-28-2021
I read the first Dune book decades ago. It's the only one I read. I really liked it. But felt like the story ended in a good spot and heard some of the subsequent books got a bit weird. So that's all I read.

I do think it would be confusing to see the movie without any context. But a confusing movie got me to read the book. Maybe that will be the case for others as well.
[Reply]
Frazod 09:49 AM 10-28-2021
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:
Spoiler!
Spoiler!

[Reply]
BWillie 11:32 AM 10-28-2021
Originally Posted by -King-:
As someone who not only didn't read the book but didn't even know about it's existence until this movie was announced, I really liked it. Sucks having to wait 2 years for part 2 though.

I think it's also interesting that I found 2049 kind of boring while I was into this movie the whole time even while knowing it was only half a story.
Same.

I didn't know Villanueve (or whatever) did Arrival. I didn't really like that movie either, but loved Sicario and Prisoners.
[Reply]
Mr. Plow 12:13 PM 10-28-2021
Originally Posted by BWillie:
At least it's not 22 years between Avatar movies, though.
First off, I have no idea why people liked Avatar.

Secondly, as someone who hasn't read the Dune books, or really knew nothing about this until I sat down to watch, I was pleasantly surprised. It felt Star Wars-ish - not in a bad way. There were some slow moving parts, but overall I really enjoyed it. My only complaint was that my wife & I were really getting into it and then..... it's over. :-)
[Reply]
keg in kc 12:47 PM 10-28-2021
It felt Star Wars-ish because it's one of the primary sources that Lucas borrowed elements from to build that universe.
[Reply]
Mr. Plow 02:10 PM 10-28-2021
Originally Posted by keg in kc:
It felt Star Wars-ish because it's one of the primary sources that Lucas borrowed elements from to build that universe.
I assumed that after I looked up and found the books were written in the 60's. So I guess I should say that Star Wars seems Dune-ish.
[Reply]
mr. tegu 02:25 PM 10-28-2021
Originally Posted by Frazod:
Yes, very much so.

It's difficult to say why I don't like the next two books that much without giving away important story points. But let's just say that in the first book the Atreides are heroic and honorable, and in the following books that goes in the shitter pretty quickly.

Good to know. I knew this one was going to just end at some point so so I was prepared but it’ll be nice knowing I’m getting a completed story in the next movie.
[Reply]
-King- 07:03 AM 10-29-2021
Spoiler!

[Reply]
Mr. Plow 07:49 AM 10-29-2021
Spoiler!
Spoiler!

[Reply]
listopencil 10:12 AM 10-29-2021
Spoiler!
Originally Posted by Mr. Plow:
Spoiler!
Spoiler!

[Reply]
Frazod 10:19 AM 10-29-2021
Spoiler!

[Reply]
duncan_idaho 11:28 AM 10-29-2021
Originally Posted by Frazod:
Spoiler!
Spoiler!

[Reply]
Mr. Plow 11:58 AM 10-29-2021
Originally Posted by listopencil:
Spoiler!
Spoiler!

[Reply]
Lzen 05:50 AM 10-30-2021
Watched it with the wife and daughter last night. I enjoyed it but was left wanting more. For a two and a half hour movie it didn't seem like a whole lot happened. Never read the books but now I think I need to do that. At least the first one.

It's weird having been on CP for 20 + years and just now realizing where long CPer in this thread got his username.
[Reply]
Lzen 05:53 AM 10-30-2021
The spoiler tags in the last few posts, should I wait to view those until after I read the first book? Or are those just about this movie?
[Reply]
Page 20 of 29
« First < 101617181920 21222324 > Last »
Up