ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 8 of 36
« First < 45678 910111218 > Last »
Media Center>Star Wars Episode IX - SPOILER THREAD
kysirsoze 11:30 AM 12-21-2019
Yeah this movie sucked. I know TLJ isn't popular on here, but at least Rian Johnson tried something and told a story that had some heart. This whole thing was just a response to the any fan boys flaming TLJ. Rey being a nobody was a great move that broke the cycle of heredity in the force that was way overdone. Abrams retconned it to appease fan boys. People bitched about lack of showy force powers so they amped the force up to 11.

The story made no sense, there were constant leaps on logic, and there was no real time given to any character or story element to develop. The most touching part of the movie was C3PO finally getting to be the hero and they even fucked that up with a laugh line and then undoing it. Man I figured it would be bland and full of fan service, but I didn't think it would be easily the fourth worst Star Wars movie ever made. Solo was better than this.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 12:25 PM 12-21-2019
Originally Posted by kysirsoze:
I didn't think it would be easily the fourth worst Star Wars movie ever made. Solo was better than this.
Worst thing Disney has done.

On par with Attack of the Clones, and even that had a more sensible plot.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 01:07 PM 12-21-2019
or maybe JJ is just a fuck
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 09:21 PM 12-21-2019
I'm still just so annoyed by this movie.

It has some fun little things that make me enjoy about half of it.

But the rest is just a giant hamfisted shitfuck that totally invalidates any reason for the sequel trilogy to even exist.

Fuck Disney and fuck Jar Jar Abrams.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 09:45 PM 12-21-2019
THIS WILL BE THE FINAL WORD IN THE STORY OF KATHLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEN

Disney Reportedly Wants Kathleen Kennedy Gone After Star Wars: The Rise Of Skywalker Backlash

https://wegotthiscovered.com/movies/...ampaign=buffer

Originally Posted by :
we’re now hearing that Kennedy may indeed be on her way out.

Sources close to WGTC – the same ones who said [SPOILERS] would die in The Rise of Skywalker and that [SPOILERS] would be revealed as a traitor, both of which were true – have told us that Disney wants Kathleen Kennedy gone from Lucasfilm and while it’s not set in stone just yet that she’s on her way out the door, from what we’ve been told, there’s a “95% chance” she won’t be with the company for much longer.

As for who would replace her, that remains unclear, but from what we’ve heard, it could be another woman so that the studio isn’t accused of mistreating women in power. But again, we weren’t given any names in regards to who may be stepping in once Kennedy is gone. Seeing as this intel comes to us from the same sources who also told us Rey is Palpatine’s [SPOILERS] though, which also turned out to be true, we have no reason to doubt it.

In short, the writing has been on the wall for a while now and with Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker receiving such a mixed response from critics and fans and likely on course to underperform at the box office, it seems like it’s only a matter of time before Kennedy is replaced.

[Reply]
Barret 10:24 PM 12-21-2019
Hammock Parties, I am with you but let me play Devils advocate here for a second. Could Anakins saber called out to her because she is "the embodiment of all past jedi's" When she was down they all came to her to tell her to rise up.

I am just throwing this out because I am sure someone that is super in love with this story will find a way to justify it.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 10:33 PM 12-21-2019
Please don't try to justify Jar Jar Abrams horrible story decisions.

The main problem with Rey being a Palpatine is that it isn't logically feasible. It's not believable. The fucking Emperor, at the height of his powers as an old man who needed a cane to get around, was clapping cheeks, and his son was disobedient and Palpatine somehow let him get away, and this son had a daughter, and Palpatine let HER escape from his grasp, too?

No, just fucking no. Wrong. Stupid.

Jar Jar Abrams, of course, didn't even try to explain how any of this happened because it would have been too difficult and any explanation would have come off as stupid anyway. Come up with a stupid idea, you get stupid results, and you basically just have to say "FUCK IT" and throw CGI at the audience and hope they don't care.

And of course he did the same thing with Palpatine's return. No explanation. Just "HE'S BACK OMG" and who cares that it invalidates the OT and...FUCK!!!

Shit was so fucking stupid.
[Reply]
BigCatDaddy 08:12 AM 12-22-2019
There was no way to repair the whole thing after TLJ. It's a damn shame
[Reply]
Bowser 11:35 AM 12-22-2019
Originally Posted by BigCatDaddy:
Yep.

I'm not going to attempt to defend JJ here, but the Rise of Skywalker was a mess due specifically to KK and RJ going full on SJW with The Last Jedi, and nobody can refute that. Abrams did all he could with what he was given, which wasn't much at all.
[Reply]
Rams Fan 11:42 AM 12-22-2019
Originally Posted by Bowser:
Yep.

I'm not going to attempt to defend JJ here, but the Rise of Skywalker was a mess due specifically to KK and RJ going full on SJW with The Last Jedi, and nobody can refute that. Abrams did all he could with what he was given, which wasn't much at all.
I didn’t like TFA and liked TLJ and thought, while TLJ tried doing expanding on the story of TFA and doing things that were different and that a lot of people didn’t like, at least made some logical flow.

ROS didn’t do any of that. It completely undermined Anakin’s and Palpatine’s story arc while killing off the best part of the trilogy(Kylo).

There was no context that was earned for Palptine coming back and the Kylo/Rey lightsaber fight was just her fighting based off rage. I felt completely unemotionally attached from the fight.

Say what you will about TLJ, but the Kylo/Luke fight was earned. Kylo/Rey fight in TFA, while Rey shouldn’t have won, was warranted.
[Reply]
Bowser 11:48 AM 12-22-2019
Originally Posted by Rams Fan:
I didn’t like TFA and liked TLJ and thought, while TLJ tried doing expanding on the story of TFA and doing things that were different and that a lot of people didn’t like, at least made some logical flow.

ROS didn’t do any of that. It completely undermined Anakin’s and Palpatine’s story arc while killing off the best part of the trilogy(Kylo).
Bringing back Palpatine was a mistake for what you are saying, but due to the disaster of TLJ they weren't given much of a choice in that regard.

TLJ was a beautiful looking film, and they did try to be bold and take the story in unexpected directions, but they gambled and failed on what they were putting out. Even without all the political and SJW angles, why in the hell would you kill off Snoke? The whole movie was a turd and didn't leave any foundation for RoS to build on.
[Reply]
Rams Fan 11:55 AM 12-22-2019
Originally Posted by Bowser:
Bringing back Palpatine was a mistake for what you are saying, but due to the disaster of TLJ they weren't given much of a choice in that regard.

TLJ was a beautiful looking film, and they did try to be bold and take the story in unexpected directions, but they gambled and failed on what they were putting out. Even without all the political and SJW angles, why in the hell would you kill off Snoke? The whole movie was a turd and didn't leave any foundation for RoS to build on.
Killing Snoke would’ve been fine if a different approach was taken with regards to Kylo.

Imagine Kylo struggling to deal with being in charge of the First Order and having a conflict with Leia. I don’t think TLJ ruined ROS as much as Carrie Fisher dying did(which I believe they handled Leia well given the circumstances in ROS).

Instead, they took the cop out with Palpatine-who had no business being in the movie as his return wasn’t even brought up in the prior 2 films-to try to do something to advance the plot.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 01:59 PM 12-22-2019
I disagree 100% - Abrams just got lazy.

A creative screenwriter could have created a believable plot, with Kylo as the bad guy, eventually feeling conflicted because of Leia's death, and unable to control the monster of the First Order he had created.

You already have the setup there with Hux hating Kylo and wanting him out.

First Order turns on Kylo, he turns back to the lightside, teams with up with Rey and sacrifices himself for the good of the galaxy, since he's basically unredeemable anyway (audience would never buy it).

In the hands of a competent writer you can spin that into a satisfying ending.

Unfortunately it was in the hands of Jar Jar fucking Abrams, who gave us PALPS BACK NO EXPLANATION AND LOL THEIR FLEET COULDN'T TAKE OFF IN TIME
[Reply]
ScareCrowe 09:47 AM 12-23-2019
Originally Posted by Hammock Parties:
I disagree 100% - Abrams just got lazy.

A creative screenwriter could have created a believable plot, with Kylo as the bad guy, eventually feeling conflicted because of Leia's death, and unable to control the monster of the First Order he had created.

You already have the setup there with Hux hating Kylo and wanting him out.

First Order turns on Kylo, he turns back to the lightside, teams with up with Rey and sacrifices himself for the good of the galaxy, since he's basically unredeemable anyway (audience would never buy it).

In the hands of a competent writer you can spin that into a satisfying ending.

Unfortunately it was in the hands of Jar Jar fucking Abrams, who gave us PALPS BACK NO EXPLANATION AND LOL THEIR FLEET COULDN'T TAKE OFF IN TIME
While I didn't like Palpatine being brought back either, I don't think Kylo as the bad guy would have worked. There's no sense of danger from Kylo as Rey had beaten him before she ever trained. Now after having time to train we're somehow supposed to feel a sense of danger when she goes to fight someone she's already beaten.

That basic plot would have worked well. (and honestly that's pretty close to the plot we got, Kylo turned back to fight the Final Order monster he created by joining with Palpatine) The problem is there has to be someone left to fight that provides some sense of danger against Rey & Ben, who have been shown to both be very powerful force users. Snoke would have worked well, but Rian Johnson took care of that. JJ could have set Kylo up better by not having him defeated by someone who'd never used a lightsaber, so he's not blameless either. But the plot specifically with Kylo turning requires there to be a threat for them to face together that doesn't feel like a forgone conclusion.

There were no characters that feel like they could reasonably fight Rey & Ben. Hux was painted as completely ineffectual, allowing Poe to stall him leading to a dreadnought being destroyed & the rebels to escape on their low speed chase in the first place. Now we're supposed to feel danger from him leading the First Order? So you're left with bringing back an existing character like Palpatine or create a new big bad and somehow establish them as a threat and be destroyed all in one movie.

I really wonder what Rian Johnson had planned as a 3rd film after TLJ. Where he left off with TLJ definitely left whoever directed episode IX in a difficult position. I mentioned the other day (in a different thread) I rewatched TLJ & it actually isn't as bad as I had built it up into my head. As a standalone film it wasn't bad. It just doesn't work as act 2 of a trilogy IMO
[Reply]
KC_Connection 02:06 PM 12-22-2019
TLJ was a fine movie on the whole. It was Disney giving in to the vocal minority of critics of TLJ that led to TROS and its absurd plot.

The fact that they did that only gives those people more power too, so I'd imagine this won't be the last property that Disney will destroy.
[Reply]
Page 8 of 36
« First < 45678 910111218 > Last »
Up