ChiefsPlanet Mobile
View Poll Results: What 2 teams should the B12 add...?
Air Force 9 9.09%
BYU 32 32.32%
Boise State 24 24.24%
Cincinnati 32 32.32%
Colorado State University 18 18.18%
EbolAIDS 15 15.15%
Houston 23 23.23%
Marshall 5 5.05%
Memphis 16 16.16%
New Mexico 3 3.03%
SMU 7 7.07%
University of Central Florida 18 18.18%
University of Connecticut 6 6.06%
University of South Florida 8 8.08%
Other (List) 8 8.08%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll
Page 36 of 37
« First < 263233343536 37 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Conference Realignment Spin-off: Who should the B12 add...?
Mr_Tomahawk 02:04 PM 12-07-2014
The BigXII shot itself in the foot yesterday with the round-robin setup. 4 of the 5 P5 conferences have a championship game. The higher seed in each of those games got into the playoffs...whether those are the 4 top teams or not. I don't think FSU or OSU are a top 4 team...but that's for another thread.

The Big12 is going to be relying on the lower seed to win one of these championship games from her on out if they choose not to have a B12 CCG. IMO, that isn't a good way to get your conference represented in the playoffs...
The round-robin is cute...but until they expand to 8 teams. The B12 could find themselves in this situation more often than Not.

The Baylor vs KSU was the championship argument is flawed as is the B12 could have had 2 teams in the playoffs...

So....to get the B12 back to....12 teams, what two teams would you add?

Poll to come...
[Reply]
Chief Pagan 05:24 PM 07-10-2022
Originally Posted by Carr4MVP:
The system works great for 99% of student athletes. It is the 1% that were restricted by the cap on monetary earnings.

Most student athletes graduate with a degree thanks to college athletics.
Is the graduation rate (and more importantly the education) really that good for college basketball and football players at top sport schools?

I was under the impression it wasn't. For instance wasn't Duke having other students take test for student athletes?
[Reply]
Kiimo 05:26 PM 07-10-2022
If there's anything that nullifies Duke's college player education theory it's every word that ever came out of Kyrie Irving's mouth
[Reply]
Chief Pagan 05:28 PM 07-10-2022
Originally Posted by Kiimosabi:
Yeah but other countries instead have kids go into the FIFA system and the corruption in that makes our colleges look like child's play
So any system with big money has problems and I sure ain't going to defend FIFA.

But what if you are a really talented 18 year old basketball player in this country but your grades suck and you don't want to go to college?

The options kind of suck.
[Reply]
Kiimo 05:31 PM 07-10-2022
Life can be tough sometimes but I think it was Dennis Leary who said that the best choice is to wear a helmet.
[Reply]
RustShack 06:30 PM 07-10-2022
Originally Posted by Chief Pagan:
So any system with big money has problems and I sure ain't going to defend FIFA.

But what if you are a really talented 18 year old basketball player in this country but your grades suck and you don't want to go to college?

The options kind of suck.
You can go to the G-League, or overseas for a year+
[Reply]
Prison Bitch 06:44 PM 07-10-2022
Originally Posted by Pablo:
I thought June was "Conference Pride" month

[Reply]
Pepe Silvia 07:01 PM 07-10-2022
Mizzou needs to up their dirty tricks division if they want to compete with the big boys.
They can’t, if they ever did get dirty the other SEC schools will just have the NCAA investigate and put Mizzou on probation.
[Reply]
Infidel Goat 08:38 PM 07-10-2022
Is the graduation rate (and more importantly the education) really that good for college basketball and football players at top sport schools?

I was under the impression it wasn't. For instance wasn't Duke having other students take test for student athletes?
Duke players can take some of their classes at North Carolina Central instead.
[Reply]
KChiefs1 11:12 AM 07-11-2022
Oregon, Stanford and Washington are viewed as the most attractive potential candidates as additions to the Big Ten or SEC, but none have been formally invited. Their respective media-revenue numbers don’t come close to penciling out without Notre Dame involved.

Utah, Colorado, Arizona and Arizona State were initially thought to be poachable by the Big 12, but I’m now told by multiple Pac-12 sources that those “four corners” universities wouldn’t leave unless the conference splintered apart first.

That makes sense. If those four ditched, they’d be trading the TV markets in Seattle, Portland and the Bay Area for ones in Dallas, Houston and Orlando. The west coast television market matters to ESPN, in particular. It already has the ACC and SEC under contract. From a television-strategy standpoint, the Pac-12’s foothold in the Pacific Time Zone is advantageous.

I didn’t think much of the quiet weekend. I made calls and poked around. But apparently the ADs who had been summoned for meetings every day last week celebrated the break. They’re scheduled to meet again today and get an update from Pac-12 Commissioner George Kliavkoff.

“The waters have settled,” said one. “How long it will last, who knows?”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Reply]
Chief Pagan 11:57 AM 07-11-2022
Originally Posted by RustShack:
You can go to the G-League, or overseas for a year+
I'm not saying there are no options. But if you have NBA talent at age 18 and don't want to go to college and don't exactly relish spending a year over seas, your options aren't great.

I still don't get why prohibiting 18 year olds from being allowed in the NBA isn't struck down on age discrimination grounds. Although it admittedly only affects a very few individuals who will soon be wealthy anyway.

Yea, G league is a viable option.
[Reply]
Chief Pagan 12:01 PM 07-11-2022
Originally Posted by PackerinMo:
They can’t, if they ever did get dirty the other SEC schools will just have the NCAA investigate and put Mizzou on probation.
Yea, I liked the Van Gundy comment during the playoffs to the effect the NCAA was so mad about violations at Kentucky they put Cleveland on probation.
[Reply]
MarkDavis'Haircut 12:36 PM 07-11-2022
Yea, I liked the Van Gundy comment during the playoffs to the effect the NCAA was so mad about violations at Kentucky they put Cleveland on probation.
Cleveland State*

I knew a girl from there.

But yeah. That was a classic quip.
[Reply]
KChiefs1 11:50 PM 07-11-2022
Saturday Down South sources:

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/se...y-at-16-teams/

SEC wants to end expansion race, stay at 16 teams
Originally Posted by :

The preference of the SEC presidents is to not expand beyond 16 teams, multiple industry sources tell Saturday Down South.
“We’re positioned at 16 (teams) for a robust future,” an SEC athletic director told SDS. “The need just isn’t there.”

Potential future moves on the expansion front could change that “need,” two SEC sources say, but conference presidents believe the SEC is positioned well for the future growth of college football.

“I don’t see any (expansion) move as threatening to us,” an SEC source told SDS.
When asked if Notre Dame to the Big Ten would be a threatening move, the SEC source said,

“Why? I’ll put our product vs. anyone’s product. So we’re going to just add schools to add schools? There’s no value in that.”

A move that could force the SEC to change its stance would be the Big Ten adding Notre Dame and moving to 20 teams by adding Pac-12 and/or ACC schools. If and until then, any thought of SEC expansion isn’t the preference.

The reason is twofold: value and the desire to keep college football intact.

That value isn’t just monetary. As important as big number games (ratings) are for future media rights deals, SEC presidents believe the success of the product on the field — and the resulting exclusive nature of the product — has been the critical factor in booming growth over the past 2 decades.

In 2002, the SEC distributed $95.7 million in media rights revenue to its 12 schools ($7.97 million per). In 2022, that number was $777.8 million for 14 schools ($55.5 million per).
Any addition to the conference would have to be a significant addition that checks multiple boxes, including a blueblood brand, an elite television draw and the right fit. The right “fit” is as big a factor as revenue, multiple SEC sources confirmed.

Texas and Oklahoma checked all the boxes last year when they applied for admission. Many administrators outside the SEC believe those moves kickstarted this latest round of expansion, forcing the Big Ten to add USC and UCLA to keep pace.

The SEC’s simple response: Any other conference would’ve accepted Texas and Oklahoma. If the SEC would’ve said no, Texas and Oklahoma would’ve searched for higher monetary ground — likely in the Big Ten or Pac-12.

In 2011, Texas and Oklahoma nearly joined the Pac-12 with Oklahoma State and Texas Tech to increase media rights potential, before Fox and ESPN combined at the 11th hour to structure a deal to keep the Big 12 whole.

A decade later, Texas and Oklahoma didn’t see the Big 12 as a viable alternative moving forward, and reached out to the SEC. The question moving forward: would any other school move the needle for the SEC?

Would any other school be the right “fit”?

While Notre Dame could, it appears the Irish first want to test the market to determine independent value. ND’s current NBC contract ($15 million annually) expires in 2025, and one industry source believes Notre Dame’s value could “at least be doubled” with NBC, CBS and multiple streaming sites bidding.

While there may be a few remaining schools outside Notre Dame that could make sense for the SEC (Florida State, North Carolina), the preference of conference presidents is to keep college football intact moving forward, an industry source said.

In late May at the SEC spring meetings, when asked about the SEC moving alone on future postseason commitments, commissioner Greg Sankey said the preference of SEC presidents was a Playoff that included all of FBS.

Sankey said the SEC presidents would move forward with the current 4-team model, and would take an 8-team model with all at-large selections — but the preference was a Playoff that gave access to all of FBS.

The message was clear: college football is better with all involved.

“We talk about value all the time. Well, there’s great value in college football as a whole,” another SEC source said. “I don’t think any of us, in any conference, can ignore that. There’s too much empirical data that shows it.”

[Reply]
ChiTown 05:23 AM 07-12-2022
That’s actually a quote from Jerry Tarkanian that Van Grundy was “using”.
[Reply]
Eleazar 06:41 AM 07-12-2022
Originally Posted by KChiefs1:
Saturday Down South sources:

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/se...y-at-16-teams/

SEC wants to end expansion race, stay at 16 teams

That makes a lot of sense to me.

I don't see any reason for the B1G or the SEC to add more schools just because. If anything, it would dilute their football brands - apart from maybe ND and the 3 or 4 ACC schools that would be worth having.

Maybe the Big 1? and the Pac 1? should just merge into the Big Meh so we have 4 major conferences again and call it a day
[Reply]
Page 36 of 37
« First < 263233343536 37 >
Up