Page 5 of 16
< 12345 678915 > Last »
Media Center>Windows 11
eDave 06:48 PM 06-15-2021
Windows 11 leak reveals new UI, Start menu, and more

[Reply]
vailpass 08:16 AM 06-17-2021
Originally Posted by lawrenceRaider:
I've been monkeying around inside computers for over 20 years and never worn and anti-static wrist band.

Has anyone else ever done that, or been bit because they didn't?
I had an engineer buddy show me how to do my first build 5 years ago. I got a wrist band. He laughed at it. Touch the case to ground off and you’re good to go.
[Reply]
eDave 08:18 AM 06-17-2021
I've been monkeying around inside computers for over 20 years and never worn and anti-static wrist band.

Has anyone else ever done that, or been bit because they didn't?
I never have. I just take off my shoes. But I've also fried a brand new processor as a result one time. We don't see a lot of static electricity out here. But Monsoon season started yesterday and there were dry thunderstorms in the valley.
[Reply]
htismaqe 08:35 AM 06-17-2021
The only time I've ever worn a wrist strap is when I'm in a data center.
[Reply]
penguinz 09:13 AM 06-17-2021
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
The only time I've ever worn a wrist strap is when I'm in a data center.
This. Only other times I ever worried about grounding was when replacing CRTs in the original iMacs. Those things will shock the hell out of you and make you piss yourself.
[Reply]
Otter 09:46 AM 06-17-2021
Originally Posted by lewdog:
My wife just said to not be a dumbass and get a 16GB upgrade since it's so cheap.

So I guess that's the decision too.

Also, I'll order an anti-static wrist band just to be safe.
Correct decision. :-)
[Reply]
BleedingRed 10:15 AM 06-17-2021
Originally Posted by vailpass:
I had an engineer buddy show me how to do my first build 5 years ago. I got a wrist band. He laughed at it. Touch the case to ground off and you’re good to go.
This, I've put together so many rigs through the years and never used a band. Just ground yourself and your good to go.
[Reply]
lewdog 10:18 AM 06-17-2021
So how do you ground yourself when working on computers?
[Reply]
lawrenceRaider 10:20 AM 06-17-2021
Just touch the metal frame of the computer before you go messing around inside. That'll remove any static electricity.
[Reply]
htismaqe 10:20 AM 06-17-2021
Just touch the case while you seat the RAM with your other hand.
[Reply]
lewdog 10:26 AM 06-17-2021
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
Just touch the case while you seat the RAM with your other hand.
I have to do this one handed?!?!?!
[Reply]
BleedingRed 10:34 AM 06-17-2021
I mean honestly just seat the ram right and dont be scared to push down, you will be scared at first.

But out of all the computers components RAM can take abuse (DONT ACTIVELY ABUSE IT)

Also depending on configuration of your unit (1x16gb stick or 2x8gb) if you only have two DIMs it will be easy. If you have 4 you need to make sure its in the right channel.

Dont worry tho your computer will tell you right away if you fucked up with either LED lights or Beeping.
[Reply]
htismaqe 10:42 AM 06-17-2021
Originally Posted by BleedingRed:
I mean honestly just seat the ram right and dont be scared to push down, you will be scared at first.

But out of all the computers components RAM can take abuse (DONT ACTIVELY ABUSE IT)

Also depending on configuration of your unit (1x16gb stick or 2x8gb) if you only have two DIMs it will be easy. If you have 4 you need to make sure its in the right channel.

Dont worry tho your computer will tell you right away if you fucked up with either LED lights or Beeping.
Yep.
[Reply]
htismaqe 10:43 AM 06-17-2021
You don't have to. Just touch the frame with your hand before you start to discharge or make sure your forearm is touching the case as you use both hands to insert the RAM. It really isn't hard, you'll be fine.
[Reply]
lawrenceRaider 10:45 AM 06-17-2021
Originally Posted by BleedingRed:

There is a notch slighly offset on the slot and the memory stick. That's there so you can't put it in wrong.
[Reply]
DaFace 10:47 AM 06-17-2021
Just touch the metal frame of the computer before you go messing around inside. That'll remove any static electricity.
And probably avoid wearing a wool jacket. But yeah, beyond that, I've never used a strap in my life and haven't ever had a problem.
[Reply]
Page 5 of 16
< 12345 678915 > Last »
Up