Page 2 of 16
< 12 345612 > Last »
Media Center>Windows 11
eDave 06:48 PM 06-15-2021
Windows 11 leak reveals new UI, Start menu, and more

[Reply]
lawrenceRaider 06:42 AM 06-16-2021
Originally Posted by lewdog:
Interesting. I see mine is 4GB DDR3. I have an older Asus desktop. Can I replace this RAM myself and upgrade to 8GB?

I only use my desktop for surfing the web, my stock screener, some basic work stuff and streaming sports. I don’t play any games.
Which model ASUS do you have?
[Reply]
lewdog 06:49 AM 06-16-2021
Originally Posted by lawrenceRaider:
Let me take a picture of the label and post it.
[Reply]
Otter 07:11 AM 06-16-2021
Originally Posted by BleedingRed:
Lucky for me I don’t support them, but I do run a MSP. That being said when you go out in the market there are so many legacy systems, I wonder what shit Windows 11 will break.
Consider yourself blessed.
[Reply]
displacedinMN 07:18 AM 06-16-2021
https://www.pcgamer.com/windows-10-e...ign=socialflow
[Reply]
lewdog 07:39 AM 06-16-2021
Originally Posted by lawrenceRaider:
Hold back the jealousy!

[Reply]
htismaqe 07:39 AM 06-16-2021
Originally Posted by Fish:
Chrome is a hungry bitch. Especially if you leave lots of tabs open like I do....

8GB should be considered the current absolute minimum for Windows these days. And RAM is cheap...
Yep.

Chrome is RAM hungry. So are quite a few collaboration tools like WebEx. Of course, MS Office apps like Outlook are resource hungry.

I'm getting ready to phase Windows out completely here - I've got my home computing down to where the only devices that need continuous support are the Windows machine and they are simply that much more "hands on" than everything else.
[Reply]
eDave 07:49 AM 06-16-2021
Hold back the jealousy!

Dude, that's not bad. More RAM will fix you right up and it's an easy install. Happy to assist if you'd like.
[Reply]
htismaqe 07:59 AM 06-16-2021
Originally Posted by eDave:
Dude, that's not bad. More RAM will fix you right up and it's an easy install. Happy to assist if you'd like.
:-)

Upgrading to 16Gb of RAM would make that thing almost like a new computer. The i3 is underpowered but a RAM upgrade would get a lot more life out of it.
[Reply]
Fish 08:28 AM 06-16-2021
Hold back the jealousy!

Technically, that's just the specs. On the bottom of the laptop, it should list the model number. If you can find the model number, I can tell you if you can upgrade the RAM, and what kind you would need.
[Reply]
lewdog 08:43 AM 06-16-2021
Originally Posted by Fish:
Technically, that's just the specs. On the bottom of the laptop, it should list the model number. If you can find the model number, I can tell you if you can upgrade the RAM, and what kind you would need.
It’s a desktop.

I’ll try to get the model number tonight.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 08:54 AM 06-16-2021
jesus fuck no

windows 10 still has issues sometimes for fuck's sake...constant updates it seems

we do not need windows 11 for at least a couple years
[Reply]
htismaqe 09:22 AM 06-16-2021
Windows Update is the single biggest problem with Windows. If updates were better, supporting Windows would be SO much easier. I'd say 80% of issues are caused by updates.
[Reply]
InChiefsHeaven 09:29 AM 06-16-2021
WTF? I thought Windows 10 was the "last" windows system. Basically, WIndows would now be called...Windows, no more new versions, just updates.

Oy. Well, we'll be staying with Win10 until the NEXT one (Windows 12?) comes out. It seems Windows sucks every other version. I liked NT, ME was shit, XP was good, Vista sucked, Win7 was good, Win8 sucked, and I actually like Win10.

I have 12 years to retirement...
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 10:24 AM 06-16-2021
It’s a desktop.

I’ll try to get the model number tonight.
Yeah, the model number is definitely important because it’s quite possible that the motherboard can handle only 8 gigs of Ram, tops.

My wife had an older i5 Dell Inspiron with 8 gigs of Ram, which was maxed out, and that thing was so slow I tossed it in the recycle bin after I built my latest PC in April. I can’t even imagine an i3 with 4 gigs of Ram.
[Reply]
eDave 10:32 AM 06-16-2021
Originally Posted by InChiefsHeaven:
WTF? I thought Windows 10 was the "last" windows system. Basically, WIndows would now be called...Windows, no more new versions, just updates.

Oy. Well, we'll be staying with Win10 until the NEXT one (Windows 12?) comes out. It seems Windows sucks every other version. I liked NT, ME was shit, XP was good, Vista sucked, Win7 was good, Win8 sucked, and I actually like Win10.

I have 12 years to retirement...
Yup. N-1 is industry practice.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 16
< 12 345612 > Last »
Up