ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 39 of 173
« First < 293536373839 404142434989139 > Last »
In Memoriam>Good news [Lonewolf Ed]
Lonewolf Ed 04:51 PM 01-24-2015
I thought I'd start a new thread for updates on my cancer treatments and whatever else is going on, since the bad news thread title is misleading now.

My last treatment went better than the previous two and my chest wound is still closed up, which is a good thing. My arm is getting slightly stronger and I hope to resume lifting dumbbells next week. I need to build up my strength again, because I am going back to Denmark in May and I am extremely pumped about that! I'd like to be able to schlepp my own checked bag and not have someone else lifting it for me.

It's going to be a fabulous trip, 6 weeks and a couple of days for me. My brother is going along as well as my friends Chipp and Rod. Chipp is staying close to 3 weeks and has not gone with me over there since 2006 so he is also very pumped to be going. It will be Rod's first trip and he will be there for 2 weeks. I will get to be a tour guide. Also, I am throwing a party in my favorite pub of all, the wonderful, ever-magnificent Irish House in Aalborg on May 7th. The owner and I are friends and he will give me a little discount. We'll have Irish stew and brews in the cellar and I hope to have around 25 family and friends there. I might bill it as the "Fu** Cancer Party." A few months back, I was not sure I'd ever be able to go over to Denmark again or if I'd even be alive, but the cancer hasn't gotten me yet. I'm doing a number on it, instead.

Some other cool things I plan to do when I am back in my ancestral lands include a wine tasting in a castle, touring another castle and the northernmost manor home in the country, and visiting Skagen, the top of Denmark, where you can stand on a little patch of beach and have one foot in one sea and one in another. They also have a brewpub up there I am wanting to check out. I will start and end my trip in Aalborg and spend 5 weeks in an apartment I rent that is very close to the beach. I can hardly wait for May 4th to roll around!
[Reply]
BigMeatballDave 06:02 PM 08-06-2015
Originally Posted by srvy:
Good luck both of you on the upcoming surgery we will be waiting to hear from your when up and around and feeling better. You both will be in my prayers for successful surgery and speedy recovery.
Thank you
[Reply]
Sweet Daddy Hate 06:16 PM 08-06-2015
Big Meatball and Ed;

I give a lot of shit on this board for a lot of things that piss me off, but I want you two healthy and around for my special, tender, brand of abuse for a long time.
[Reply]
Bwana 06:21 PM 08-06-2015
Indeed best of luck to both of you guys! :-)
[Reply]
Lonewolf Ed 12:53 AM 08-09-2015
Originally Posted by Sweet Daddy Williams:
Big Meatball and Ed;

I give a lot of shit on this board for a lot of things that piss me off, but I want you two healthy and around for my special, tender, brand of abuse for a long time.
I've got to hang on to see a playoff win, right? Well, not if that means I'd be 135. Screw that. I hope that when I am maybe 82 that I blow out the candles on my birthday cake and face plant right in the cake, dead as a doornail. No getting senile and decrepit for me, thanks!
[Reply]
go bo 01:25 AM 08-09-2015
best wishes you guys!!

expect to see you both posting for another 25 years (damn, i'll be 92)...
[Reply]
Lonewolf Ed 04:15 AM 08-09-2015
Originally Posted by go bowe:
best wishes you guys!!

expect to see you both posting for another 25 years (damn, i'll be 92)...
I would be 72 then, so that is acceptable, thanks!
[Reply]
Lonewolf Ed 11:40 PM 08-10-2015
It was one year ago today that I got some of the very worst news of my life. I was told that my colon cancer had infected my liver and it was at stage IV, I would be dead in 10 weeks without treatment, and with chemo, I might live for 3 more years. What a devastating day that was and the whirlwind that followed was a strain unlike anything I had ever known. With my prayers and the prayers and support of so many others, many of whom are on this site, I found peace and a determination to fight. I came to the realization that surviving was not my primary battle. My real battle was keeping my faith and trust in God that if I live or die, it was in His hands and I needed strength to be okay with either outcome. Once again, much of that strength came from so many of you here. Tears and dread soon faded from my days and the whirlwind slowed down and a day began to feel like a day again and not like three or four packed into one.

The chemo was frightening since I had no idea what to expect, but the side effects didn't kick me as hard as so many are kicked by it. As I got reports from my doctor and nurses that the chemo was affecting the cancer and I was responding so well that they were hardly able to believe it, I concentrated on the inner battle, setting my mind to imagining a Viking warrior within me, raining blow after blow with his axe on the foul invader within me. He never stopped, never rested, just fought and fought and fought. I did take some heavy shots myself in the battle, once landing in the hospital for 5 days with an infected port which if the infection had settled on my heart valves, I'd have died back in early November. The blood clots in March were another near-miss with Death. I can hardly believe how large the main clot was, starting near the top of my right thigh and extending past my navel to just under my breastbone. I still do not know which lung a smaller clot had settled into. The doctors and nurses couldn't understand how I was able to walk, let alone work in the field and do my pretty much normal routine.

I face a new hurdle tomorrow with colon surgery. Maybe the worst of it will be today when I have to do the dreaded colon prep... a bottle of magnesium citrate, 4 dulcolax tablets, then 255 grams of Miralax. Yum. I bought baby wipes and have 3 full rolls of toilet paper in the bathroom, and the worst may be how my 'roids react to the storm that approacheth... I do not look forward to being stuck in the hospital for 5 to 7 days and hope I get to go home after 3 days if not sooner. I really don't like it there. They come and check vitals at midnight and 4 am and in between those times, some other folks come in to check my bed, check equipment and ask me if I need anything. I doubt it would do any good for me to hang a sign on the door reading: F*** OFF UNTIL THE SUN IS UP! I hope the nurses are hotties, too. I would like to catch a break!
[Reply]
RobBlake 12:00 AM 08-11-2015
you are a beast and keep up the fight, valiant viking warrior!
[Reply]
DaNewGuy 03:09 AM 08-11-2015
Ed you got this buddy
[Reply]
EPodolak 03:20 AM 08-11-2015
Inspired by your story over the last year Ed and impressed as hell by your grit through it all. Looking forward to seeing your first post after surgery. Best of luck man.
[Reply]
Sweet Daddy Hate 05:58 AM 08-11-2015
Keep fighting, ol' boy; you're going to win.
[Reply]
Marcellus 05:59 AM 08-11-2015
Continue swinging that axe Ed.
[Reply]
GloryDayz 06:13 AM 08-11-2015
Fight like a son of a bitch my friend... You're doing well, and you have cancer scared...
[Reply]
Dave Lane 06:56 AM 08-11-2015
Never give up, do not go easy into that good night...
[Reply]
Lonewolf Ed 07:40 AM 08-11-2015
As I said earlier, I have to start the colon prep today so I can't eat anything and the "food" on the list I can "eat" is all basically water. I stuffed myself last night but I am hungry this morning and want egg and cheese sammiches! :-)
[Reply]
Page 39 of 173
« First < 293536373839 404142434989139 > Last »
Up