ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 96 of 726
« First < 46869293949596 979899100106146196596 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>New Conference re-alignment thread
Saulbadguy 07:57 AM 09-12-2011
The old one has AIDS.

Anyways, Chip Brown from Orangebloods.com reports OU may apply to the Pac-12 by the end of the month.

Oklahoma will apply for membership to the Pac-12 before the end of the month, and Oklahoma State is expected to follow suit, a source close to OU's administration told Orangebloods.com.

Even though Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott said Friday the Pac-12 was not interested in expansion at this time, OU's board of regents is fed up with the instability in the Big 12, the source said.

The OU board of regents will meet within two weeks to formalize plans to apply for membership to the Pac-12, the source said.

Messages left Sunday night with OU athletic director Joe Castiglione and Oklahoma State athletic director Mike Holder were not immediately returned.

If OU follows through with what appears to be a unanimous sentiment on the seven-member Oklahoma board of regents to leave the Big 12, realignment in college athletics could be heating back up. OU's application would be matched by an application from Oklahoma State, the source said, even though OSU president Burns Hargis and mega-booster Boone Pickens both voiced their support for the Big 12 last Thursday.

There is differing sentiment about if the Pac-12 presidents and chancellors are ready to expand again after bringing in Colorado and Utah last year and landing $3 billion TV contracts from Fox and ESPN. Colorado president Bruce Benson told reporters last week CU would be opposed to any expansion that might bring about east and west divisions in the Pac-12.

Currently, there are north and south divisions in the Pac-12. If OU and OSU were to join, Larry Scott would have to get creative.

Scott's orginal plan last summer was to bring in Colorado, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State and put them in an eastern division with Arizona and Arizona State. The old Pac-8 schools (USC, UCLA, Cal, Stanford, Oregon, Oregon State, Washington and Washington State) were to be in the west division.

Colorado made the move in June 2010, but when Texas A&M was not on board to go west, the Big 12 came back together with the help of its television partners (ABC/ESPN and Fox).

If Oklahoma and Oklahoma State were accepted into the Pac-12, there would undoubtedly be a hope by Larry Scott that Texas would join the league. But Texas sources have indicated UT is determined to hang onto the Longhorn Network, which would not be permissible in the Pac-12 in its current form.

Texas sources continue to indicate to Orangebloods.com that if the Big 12 falls apart, the Longhorns would consider "all options."

Big 12 commissioner Dan Beebe held an emergency conference call 10 days ago with league presidents excluding Oklahoma, Texas and Texas A&M and asked the other league presidents to "work on Texas" because Beebe didn't think the Pac-12 would take Oklahoma without Texas.

Now, it appears OU is willing to take its chances with the Pac-12 with or without Texas.

There seemed to be a temporary pause in any possible shifting of the college athletics' landscape when Baylor led a charge to tie up Texas A&M's move to the Southeastern Conference in legal red tape. BU refused to waive its right to sue the SEC over A&M's departure from the Big 12, and the SEC said it would not admit Texas A&M until it had been cleared of any potential lawsuits.

Baylor, Kansas and Iowa State have indicated they will not waive their right to sue the SEC.

It's unclear if an application by OU to the Pac-12 would draw the same threats of litigation against the Pac-12 from those Big 12 schools.

Stay tuned.
[Reply]
Saul Good 11:56 AM 09-26-2011
Name 3 city schools that have had sustained success in the last quarter century.
[Reply]
Bambi 11:58 AM 09-26-2011
Originally Posted by Pants:
If it came down to signing all the schools' rights off to the Big12, I'd rather KU stay than go to any conference with the exception of the Big10. I don't identify with the culture of the SEC fan and would not want my school associated with it. I love the PAC-12 schools, but the geography is shitty as hell.
Agreed. Regionally and competitively it's the only conference that makes sense but it's by far the best choice for Kansas to stay in the Big 12(10).
[Reply]
patteeu 12:02 PM 09-26-2011
Originally Posted by Saul Good:
Name 3 city schools that have had sustained success in the last quarter century.
Does USC count as a city school?
[Reply]
DaKCMan AP 12:03 PM 09-26-2011
Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry:
With the resources they have, put them in the Big 12 with an actual coach. They would do very well.
If they're struggling in the Big East, they're not going to "do very well" in the Big XII. They'll be behind OU, Texas, Mizzou, OSU, and probably even KSU and TTU. A move to the Big XII wont really help them in recruiting. They're in Big-10 country, if anything.
[Reply]
DaKCMan AP 12:06 PM 09-26-2011
Originally Posted by KChiefs1:
Travel expenses
Recruiting
TV sets
WVU gets better recruits and nearly 3x as many tv sets as TCU.
[Reply]
eazyb81 12:08 PM 09-26-2011
Originally Posted by alnorth:
Their massive Tier 2 deal with Fox says you are wrong.
That "massive" :-) tier 2 deal was with A&M and Mizzou in tow.
[Reply]
Bambi 12:10 PM 09-26-2011
Columbus and Louisville are roughly the same size so if Louisville counts as a "city" then I would say Ohio State has had success.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 12:10 PM 09-26-2011
Originally Posted by patteeu:
Does USC count as a city school?
Only if UCLA does...

(So no, no it does not)

City Schools tend to be pretty lousy with a few spurts of decent play in between, especially in football. They simply can't come up with the resources to run with the big dogs with any regularity.

Louisville will have a few nice years here and there, but they're not going to be any kind of sleeping giant. If Corso actually said that, then you know it's wrong because Corso is pretty much a blathering idiot.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 12:11 PM 09-26-2011
Originally Posted by Wickedson:
Columbus and Louisville are roughly the same size so if Louisville counts as a "city" then I would say Ohio State has had success.
You are just so very unintelligent.
[Reply]
Saulbadguy 12:11 PM 09-26-2011
Originally Posted by KChiefs1:
Travel expenses
Recruiting
TV sets
My god, you are a dumbass. Please refrain from posting in this thread.
[Reply]
penguinz 12:11 PM 09-26-2011
Originally Posted by Wickedson:
:-)
[Reply]
KChiefs1 12:11 PM 09-26-2011
Originally Posted by DaKCMan AP:
My point is that Dallas is a better recruiting hotbed than West Virginia. I know they must have produced some football players but I'm thinking they get most from Pennsylvania than from West Virginia. What is West Virginia's population compared to Dallas/Ft Worth?
[Reply]
KC native 12:11 PM 09-26-2011
Originally Posted by DaKCMan AP:
You're fucking nuts if you think they recruit better than TCU. TCU is competing with OU and Texas for recruits now. Now, they do beat us on tv sets.
[Reply]
Saulbadguy 12:12 PM 09-26-2011
The U.

:-)
[Reply]
alnorth 12:14 PM 09-26-2011
Originally Posted by eazyb81:
That "massive" :-) tier 2 deal was with A&M and Mizzou in tow.
Mizzou is not at all a big reason for these huge football contracts. OU and Texas are driving those numbers. TA&M is not exactly a compelling powerhouse, either.
[Reply]
Page 96 of 726
« First < 46869293949596 979899100106146196596 > Last »
Up