ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 4 of 7
< 1234 567 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Do our 2 new OT's fit the scheme that Mahomes wants to play?
JakeF 03:42 PM 10-15-2021
Mahomes might be the best scrambling QB in NFL history. He loves to scramble around and create passing lanes in the defense to throw the ball.

The reason why they want Mahomes to stay in the pocket is because our huge, mauling tackles are not built for running around. They are both built to wall off the pocket and protect a spot. They are best when a QB takes a shorter drop, forcing DE to turn up sooner to go through 6'7" 340lbs of OT.

Both of our tackles might be good, but we are asking them to do things they are not really suited to do.

Do we really want to give Orlando Brown a new $20m a year contract, then ask him to play a scheme he isn't built for?

Are we going to ask our $500m Quarterback to play a different type of football than the one that won us a Super Bowl?

All 3 players might be good players, but that still doesn't mean they fit each other.

???
[Reply]
CatfishBob2 08:06 AM 10-16-2021
Originally Posted by staylor26:
Dolphins
Texans
Rams
Cardinals
Raiders
Patriots
Bills
Ravens
Eagles
49ers
Jets
Falcons

He’s better than all of those teams current starting RB, and there are some teams who I think he could start for like the Bucs too. Even if you disagree with some, there’s no ****ing way you can tell me he’s bottom 7. What a ****ing joke that is.

Also, you said if he were a “league average RB”, so I thought you were including all RB’s in that. He might be a slightly above average starter, but he’s absolutely better than the “league average RB”.
CEH is a lesser Devin Singletary. Both small both slow, but Singletary runs more decisively and has a little more wiggle. He also shares a good bit of the load with a RB his team spent a draft pick on
[Reply]
petegz28 08:17 AM 10-16-2021
Originally Posted by JakeF:
That's the discussion. Apparently, you expect Mahomes to adapt to the offensive line, not the other way around.

Once again, this is about FIT, not about critiquing the talent level etc.

All 3 look to be very talented, but are they a good fit? They don't look like it so far.

Brown/Niang look like run-first, maulers.
Mahomes is clearly a pass-first, Mobile QB

Those are different schemes.
Uh, no. Mahomes has to adapt to playing QB in the NFL behind a line that can run the ball and hold a pocket.

Any OL will tell you that a QB that consistently takes deep drops is hard to block for.

Any OL will tell you that a pocket is there for a QB to step up into, not run out of.

Our OL has been very good at pass protection and run blocking. It's up to Mahomes to learn to play behind it.
[Reply]
JPH83 08:31 AM 10-16-2021
Originally Posted by petegz28:
Uh, no. Mahomes has to adapt to playing QB in the NFL behind a line that can run the ball and hold a pocket.

Any OL will tell you that a QB that consistently takes deep drops is hard to block for.

Any OL will tell you that a pocket is there for a QB to step up into, not run out of.

Our OL has been very good at pass protection and run blocking. It's up to Mahomes to learn to play behind it.
Niang and Brown haven't been very good at pass protection. I'm hopeful both improve but right now Brown is absolutely not worthy of the sort of contract he's going to ask for.
[Reply]
Tribal Warfare 08:36 AM 10-16-2021
As I said during preseason flat out said he was discussing it with Mahomes how Brown blocks certain passrushers so they can be on the same page
[Reply]
petegz28 08:55 AM 10-16-2021
Originally Posted by JPH83:
Niang and Brown haven't been very good at pass protection. I'm hopeful both improve but right now Brown is absolutely not worthy of the sort of contract he's going to ask for.
A lot of that has to do with Pat taking deep drops. Niang I agree has been the weakest.
[Reply]
petegz28 08:57 AM 10-16-2021
Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare:
As I said during preseason flat out said he was discussing it with Mahomes how Brown blocks certain passrushers so they can be on the same page
You can't tell tackles to push rushers out wide and deep when your QB takes deep drops. Pat has to step up into the pocket and let these guys push the rushers around him.

I admit having a pocket is something he isn't used too.
[Reply]
oldman 08:59 AM 10-16-2021
Let's just look at the Bills game. Turnovers lead to at least a 17 (most likely 21) point negative swing. Two redzone miscues and a pick 6.
Mahomes has to learn to take what the opposing D gives him.Step up in that pocket, Clark paid a lot of money and draft capital to keep you from getting killed. A 7 yard out route completion on 2nd and 6 is better than a 40 yard incompletion, a 25 yard INT, or a double digit sack.
[Reply]
Tribal Warfare 09:03 AM 10-16-2021
You can't tell tackles to push rushers out wide and deep when your QB takes deep drops. Pat has to step up into the pocket and let these guys push the rushers around him.

I admit having a pocket is something he isn't used too.

Patrick looks awkward because he's not use to Brown's washout technique instead mirroring like Fisher

Brown is expecting Mahomes to step up in the pocket
[Reply]
DRM08 09:12 AM 10-16-2021
Originally Posted by oldman:
Let's just look at the Bills game. Turnovers lead to at least a 17 (most likely 21) point negative swing. Two redzone miscues and a pick 6.
Mahomes has to learn to take what the opposing D gives him.Step up in that pocket, Clark paid a lot of money and draft capital to keep you from getting killed. A 7 yard out route completion on 2nd and 6 is better than a 40 yard incompletion, a 25 yard INT, or a double digit sack.
The pick 6 was an accurate 5 yard throw and 1,000% the fault of Tyreek Hill for bobbling it to the defender. The fumbled snap by Mahomes was terrible, although I don’t see how it’s related to your specific criticism in this post. The horizontal INT at the Buffalo 10 yard line was an incredible play by the Buffalo DL. These 3 plays were all flukey, and they had nothing to do with forcing the ball downfield. All 3 of them happened within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage.

I think a bigger issue than Mahomes forcing the ball into deep coverage is a lack of ball security across the roster. Mahomes has 2 fumbles (1 lost in opponent territory). Tyreek has a lost fumble in opponent territory and a bobbled ball for a pick 6. Clyde has 2 lost fumbles in opponent territory. Kemp has a bobbled ball for INT in opponent territory. Pringle lost a fumble on a kick return. Hardman seems to have a hard time catching or hanging on to the ball as well. Can they fix the ball security issues during the season? Maybe. If not, I guess they will end up with a pretty high draft pick.
[Reply]
Sofa King 09:40 AM 10-16-2021
STaylor is slaying bitches in this thread.
[Reply]
petegz28 09:44 AM 10-16-2021
Patrick looks awkward because he's not use to Brown's washout technique instead mirroring like Fisher

Brown is expecting Mahomes to step up in the pocket
Most OT's expect their QB to step up into the pocket. It's what each position has been taught since Pee-Wee league. Make a pocket for the QB, QB steps up into pocket.
[Reply]
Tribal Warfare 09:58 AM 10-16-2021
Most OT's expect their QB to step up into the pocket. It's what each position has been taught since Pee-Wee league. Make a pocket for the QB, QB steps up into pocket.

You know as well as I Patrick hardly does that
[Reply]
petegz28 10:04 AM 10-16-2021
You know as well as I Patrick hardly does that
And you know as well as I that he is going to have to learn to do it. QB's that can't play in the pocket aren't long for the NFL.
[Reply]
oldman 10:26 AM 10-16-2021
Originally Posted by DRM08:
The pick 6 was an accurate 5 yard throw and 1,000% the fault of Tyreek Hill for bobbling it to the defender. The fumbled snap by Mahomes was terrible, although I don’t see how it’s related to your specific criticism in this post. The horizontal INT at the Buffalo 10 yard line was an incredible play by the Buffalo DL. These 3 plays were all flukey, and they had nothing to do with forcing the ball downfield. All 3 of them happened within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage.
The point I was trying to make is T play isn't the issue. The O issue is turnovers, many caused by "trying to make something happen". PMII already had a pass batted down by Rosseau, why would he try to throw around him again? The fumble was caused by him not looking for the snap. I'll give you Hill was responsible for the one pick. How many times did the ball get thrown in the dirt? I'll even give you wind might have been a factor in those overthrown. But none of that has to do with T play.We are 31st in turnover ratio this year. That doesn't win many games. Take the sure play, live to fight another down.
[Reply]
Lzen 10:34 AM 10-16-2021
The one thing you guys are missing about that DE int was that Niang is supposed to keep his hands engaged. To me, that int was on Niang.
[Reply]
Page 4 of 7
< 1234 567 >
Up