ChiefsPlanet Mobile
View Poll Results: Which one do you pick?
Hawaii + $250,000 annual stipend 42 77.78%
Tennessee + $399,910 annual stipend 12 22.22%
Gosh, I can't decide. 0 0%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Mansionmania Tournament: Round 1, Heat 13
Rain Man 10:18 AM 10-15-2021
Mansionmania continues. I'm going to show you the most expensive homes in every state and a few territories, with a few extras thrown in from the largest states to get the tourney up to 64. It'll be a single-elimination tournament.

You will choose among each pair of houses with the following assumptions:

I encourage you to click on the maps in the listings to see the general location and neighborhood.

Also, I will only enter contestants if they have a sufficient number of photos to judge, as determined by me.

Your entries in this heat are:

Hawaii:

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...0_M91907-82962

Tennessee:

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...5_M85695-71159
[Reply]
Buehler445 10:58 AM 10-15-2021
Hawaii. I was on Oahu.

I loved it. A lot. Like DJ I’d be worried about the stipend drying up l, but hell I’d probably reverse mortgage that bitch because goddamn Hawaii is awesome.

I think there is a huge cattle ranch on the Big Island. I can find some beef. Might take some fenagling, but I’ll get it done.
[Reply]
Shag 11:04 AM 10-15-2021
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
I recognize how badly TN is going to get stomped here.

But forever. Remember that.

I mean think about some fairly benign stuff. For instance, the beef in Hawaii sucks. Screw being expensive because your stipend is probably fine, but even $250K/yr in living expenses is gonna dry up faster than you realize out there.

First blush is 'yeah, it's Hawaii - duh'. But I dunno man, no seasons and I just don't love the tropics after a bit. I need my cool, crisp autumn and spring mornings. Forever is just such a long time and I can't see living out there for the rest of my life.

I've known two people that lived in Hawaii, one made it 5 years, the other 3. Now they didn't live on a cliff overlooking the ocean with a $250K/yr annual stipend, but still - they got tired of it. I feel like I get it.

Meanwhile that TN house is awesome. It's right down the street from Nashville which may be my favorite place to go visit (I think I'd borrow Virus's approach and maintain an apartment there somewhere).

I know I'm going to get steamrolled but I'm going Tennessee.
For me, the biggest issue with the HI house is that there's not much going on on that island. Maui is within the 100mi range, which is nice, but that's still more of a resort island. The weather and views would never get old to me, but I wonder if I would eventually get bored without access to a metro area. On the flip side, you wouldn't have a care in the world in that HI house - the ultimate island lifestyle, where time doesn't really matter, and stress doesn't really exist. Not a lot of tourists to deal with on that island, and easier access to the south pacific twice a year.

Super unfortunate draw for TN, as it's a cool house in a nice location. How are these matchups being decided, anyway? Can we put TN up against either house in heat 12 instead?

Tougher heat than I would have expected. Leaning HI, but may ruminate a bit.
[Reply]
Rain Man 11:07 AM 10-15-2021
Originally Posted by Shag:

Super unfortunate draw for TN, as it's a cool house in a nice location. How are these matchups being decided, anyway? Can we put TN up against either house in heat 12 instead?

It's all random draws.
[Reply]
jd1020 11:15 AM 10-15-2021
I'm going with Tennessee for the same reasons I wouldn't live in Guam. Island living for the rest of my life doesn't appeal to me. I've heard enough mixed reviews about Hawaii that I'm fine with it being one of my vacation spots rather than my permanent residence.
[Reply]
lawrenceRaider 11:19 AM 10-15-2021
Having visited the Big Island last March, I have to point out that the home is basically in the sticks with nothing very close to it. Driving to anything around it is kind of like driving back roads that ride the ridges in the Ozarks.

North of there about 40-50 miles is where the billionaires mostly live if my buddy who has a little coffee plantation up on the mountain above Kailua told me is accurate.

It is certainly a beautiful view, but no real beach access there.

Still picking it over Tenn.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 11:26 AM 10-15-2021
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
It's all random draws.
I’m hoping for a couple wild card rounds here.

Instead of forcing more Guams into the mix, let’s save a couple spots for tough beats.
[Reply]
Steron 11:44 AM 10-15-2021
Neither of these excited me a whole lot. I'm going with the minority and choosing Tennessee. I rather liked the light color wood used in much of the house. I visited Oahu for 2 weeks in 2005. LOVED it but I just couldn't see living there forever.
[Reply]
Rain Man 11:48 AM 10-15-2021
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
I’m hoping for a couple wild card rounds here.

Instead of forcing more Guams into the mix, let’s save a couple spots for tough beats.
I'm changing my thinking on what will happen if a property sells and is taken off the market. Instead of picking a proxy from that state, I'll likely pick the highest scoring losing contender from the previous round. So it's possible that we'll get some wild cards.
[Reply]
Old Dog 11:53 AM 10-15-2021
Instead of picking a proxy from that state, I'll likely pick the highest scoring losing contender from the previous round.
That still isn't going to help the Tennessee house I don't reckon
[Reply]
wazu 12:02 PM 10-15-2021
The Tennessee house is getting too much sympathy love. By it's own merit it's not that great. There isn't a single great view. In every direction you're staring at trees that you can't see over. I'm sure it's a fine home, but meh all around on this spot. And again, enough with the horse farms.
[Reply]
mr. tegu 12:08 PM 10-15-2021
It’s interesting that the people who have been to Hawaii for longer than a few days and/or known someone who has lived there that they are choosing Tennessee instead.
[Reply]
ThaVirus 12:40 PM 10-15-2021
Originally Posted by :
All maintenance, utilities, property taxes, and cleaning is included.
And is the stipend tax-free?

If so, with all of the previous being footed by Rain Man, what do you have left to pay? Cell phone bills, clothes, entertainment, vehicle, insurances and food. That's all I can think of..

You could import the finest beef every week and still live comfortably!
[Reply]
ThaVirus 12:44 PM 10-15-2021
My bigger concern with the Hawaii house is: are there bugs on the island? 'Cause I'm not seeing any windows. I've heard the weather is generally not sweltering but no A/C?
[Reply]
MagicHef 12:49 PM 10-15-2021
Originally Posted by ThaVirus:
My bigger concern with the Hawaii house is: are there bugs on the island? 'Cause I'm not seeing any windows. I've heard the weather is generally not sweltering but no A/C?
Lots of places don't have A/C in HI, as the weather is perfect basically all the time.
[Reply]
MagicHef 12:50 PM 10-15-2021
I'm changing my thinking on what will happen if a property sells and is taken off the market. Instead of picking a proxy from that state, I'll likely pick the highest scoring losing contender from the previous round. So it's possible that we'll get some wild cards.
Let me know if this happens, because there are ways to find old listings, even if it has sold.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
Up