Nzoner's Game Room>The New Strategy to Slow Down Patrick Mahomes: Don’t Blitz
Realbaddog 11:13 AM 10-14-2021
Found this article, interesting read:

The New Strategy to Slow Down Patrick Mahomes: Don’t Blitz
[Reply]
ThyKingdomCome15 06:44 PM 10-14-2021
Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare:
Don't laugh that may happen considering they still talk to each other
Smith was the small-ball king! Very weird Mahomes is lacking in that aspect of his game. It's like we need to rewire how he reads the field when teams take away Hill, Kelce, and the deep ball. Andy needs to rethink his game plans as well. This team hasn't adjusted at all after the Super Bowl and it's pitiful.
[Reply]
BossChief 07:29 PM 10-14-2021
Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare:
If it weren’t for the turnovers, we would be 4-1 or maybe even 5-0.

I agree with bringing in Alex to help Pat see what the defenses are trying to do to him better.
[Reply]
dlphg9 07:57 PM 10-14-2021
Started a thread with this cuz I wanted these numbers to get more views, but it belongs here.

Originally Posted by JakeF:
That's what Defenses are banking on. Stop Hill from catching 40 touchdown passes, let the Chiefs dink,dunk, and run the ball all they want. They will make a mistake eventually and it will cost them. The chiefs crappy defense means our offense will be even more anxious about scoring, and that will lead to more mistakes.

Fluke turnovers or turnovers caused by the scheme of the opposing teams?

15 play drive = turnover, 6 play drive = touchdown.

Consistently taking double the number of plays to score means more mistakes.
This year the Chiefs are averaging 7.24 plays a drive and last year we averaged 6.65 plays a drive. This year so far we've had 46 drives, so this year we've had 27 more plays than we would have had through 46 drives last year. That's only 5 extra plays an entire game. It's not like we are even having that many more plays than last year.

Now your logic is sound, but the numbers actually tell a completely different story. So we've had 11 TO. This is how many plays we had in the drive for a TO.

Ravens
3 plays int
4 plays fumble

Chargers
10 plays interception
5 plays fumble
6 plays fumble
3 plays int

Eagles
6 plays int

Bills

5 plays int
9 plays int
10 plays fumble

That comes out to 5.5 plays per turnover.

Now this is our scoring drives and number of plays

Browns

10 fg
12 td
14 td
10 fg
1 td
3 TD

Ravens

8 td
7 td
5 td
6 TD

Chargers

11 Fg
12 td
10 td
12 td

Eagles

8 td
12 td
8 td
11 td
11 td
6 td

Bills

17 fg
12 td
8 fg
7 td

That comes out to 9.2 plays per score

Or 8.7 plays per TD, 11.2 plays per FG

5 out of 11 of the turnovers came on drives with 6 or more plays.

Very few of our turnovers have been because of a long drives and so what this tells me is that no, teams are not forcing us to turn it over by forcing long drives. If that were the case then I'd probably be concerned about this working.
[Reply]
Marcellus 08:43 PM 10-14-2021
Originally Posted by BossChief:

I agree with bringing in Alex to help Pat see what the defenses are trying to do to him better.
:-)

2 of Pats 5 INTs hit the WR in the hands. 2 were Pat trying to throw while being tackled, pretty sure he knows what the defense was trying to do to him.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 09:08 PM 10-14-2021
Patrick doesn't need Alex's fucking help. Alex could NEVER beat Cover 2.

At least Patrick can do that when the protection is there.

He had one bad game where the worst, game-ending mistakes were made by others. Everyone needs to shut the fuck up and watch him rape the WFT. He doesn't make mistakes twice.
[Reply]
dlphg9 09:20 PM 10-14-2021
Originally Posted by BossChief:

Lol Patrick Mahomes can see what defenses are trying to do to him and he's 10x better at it than Alex. Go fuck yourself
[Reply]
oldman 10:26 PM 10-14-2021
Bombs away football is fun and we've grown to rely on PMII to win every game for us. So far this season, that hasn't worked well. We have some young bucks on the O-line, so turn them loose. A 5-6 yard rush on 1st down is better than a 40 yard incompletion. A 7 yard out route for a 1st down is better than a 30 yard INT. The key here is to keep our D off the field and win games, not to pad any player's stats. Dink and dunk the opposing team to death if need be. Winning is everything.
[Reply]
wachashi 03:08 PM 10-15-2021
We've been making this scheme look much more effective than it really should be against this team. There's no silver bullet to stopping this offense - and this article doesn't claim that. Get the turnover differential to a normal level, play just "bad" defense instead of "all-time worst" defense, and execute the offense (drops, taking check-downs). Do those things and this scheme won't look very smart at all.
[Reply]
KChiefs1 03:35 PM 10-15-2021
Originally Posted by comochiefsfan:
Makes you wonder why every team doesn't do this against all elite qbs.

Just simply refuse to get beat deep.

You need to talk to Spags.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Reply]
comochiefsfan 03:41 PM 10-15-2021
Originally Posted by KChiefs1:
You need to talk to Spags.

We could run this defense and our DBs would still get run by and mossed for big gains.
[Reply]
milkshock 03:48 PM 10-15-2021
We need screens and check downs to counter these kinds of prevent defenses.

[Reply]
comochiefsfan 03:51 PM 10-15-2021
Originally Posted by milkshock:
We need screens and check downs to counter these kinds of prevent defenses.

I was under the impression that that was kind of the whole point of drafting Clyde.

But they've never used him that way so apparently not.
[Reply]
milkshock 03:53 PM 10-15-2021
I was under the impression that that was kind of the whole point of drafting Clyde.

I remember in our super bowl winning season we were on the ropes after the Tennessee game which we blew.

We then went undefeated the rest of the season and I do remember the offense dialing it down somewhat because of the need to grind out wins.

[Reply]
JakeF 04:01 PM 10-15-2021

It turns out that CEH doesn't break long run they way we need. I imagine Mahomes would check the ball down more frequently if CEH made the first tackler miss and got 20-30 yard runs from it.
[Reply]
RunKC 04:05 PM 10-15-2021
Any team with a good pass rush that only needs 4 will give any QB problems. It’s simple math.

You can bracket Kelce and Tyreek in that scenario which means your secondary only needs to be decent.

This isn’t rocket science. We’ve seen this for several years
[Reply]
Page 5 of 6
< 12345 6 >
Up