< 123 456 >
Nzoner's Game Room>The New Strategy to Slow Down Patrick Mahomes: Don’t Blitz
Realbaddog 11:13 AM 10-14-2021
Found this article, interesting read:

The New Strategy to Slow Down Patrick Mahomes: Don’t Blitz
[Reply]
FloridaMan88 02:26 PM 10-14-2021
Originally Posted by Jerm:
I still wish we'd run a lot more up tempo, even no huddle, offense...keep the defense on their toes and maybe they screw up substitutions, assignments, play calls, etc.

I really think Mahomes would command it to a T.
I was screaming for the Chiefs to do this to start the second half of the Bills game.

The Chiefs never run a tempo or no huddle offense outside of the end of game/half situations for reasons that are not clear.
[Reply]
Easy 6 02:29 PM 10-14-2021
Originally Posted by KCChiefsFan88:
I was screaming for the Chiefs to do this to start the second half of the Bills game.

The Chiefs never run a tempo or no huddle offense outside of the end of game/half situations for reasons that are not clear.
For all of his genuine innovation, Andy is incredibly stodgy and stubborn about certain things
[Reply]
HC_Chief 02:37 PM 10-14-2021
Originally Posted by Easy 6:
For all of his genuine innovation, Andy is incredibly stodgy and stubborn about certain things
Andy is not particularly good with clock management. Hurry-up/2-minute drill offenses compress your decision-making window and apply temporal pressure. In other words, shit overwhelms him...or at least that is what it seems like from past experience.

He needs to give PM2 more control of the offense. Hand him the reigns on a few series...see how he handles it. Let him run an up-tempo offense when unexpected, i.e. in the middle of a quarter, not just at the end or when trailing.
[Reply]
Easy 6 02:41 PM 10-14-2021
Originally Posted by HC_Chief:
Andy is not particularly good with clock management. Hurry-up/2-minute drill offenses compress your decision-making window and apply temporal pressure. In other words, shit overwhelms him...or at least that is what it seems like from past experience.

He needs to give PM2 more control of the offense. Hand him the reigns on a few series...see how he handles it. Let him run an up-tempo offense when unexpected, i.e. in the middle of a quarter, not just at the end or when trailing.
Let Pat cook!
[Reply]
comochiefsfan 02:42 PM 10-14-2021

Andy seems like he's been very slow to fully trust Patrick.

Harbaugh has total trust in Lamar, McDermott seems to be already there with Allen. Hell, Brandon Staley trusts Herbert so much that he's basically going for it on every single fourth down.

Andy is old school and he hasn't had a QB like this as a head coach, but he needs to get with the times and take the training wheels off Mahomes.
[Reply]
dlphg9 02:56 PM 10-14-2021
Originally Posted by comochiefsfan:

Harbaugh has total trust in Lamar, McDermott seems to be already there with Allen. Hell, Brandon Staley trusts Herbert so much that he's basically going for it on every single fourth down.

Andy is old school and he hasn't had a QB like this as a head coach, but he needs to get with the times and take the training wheels off Mahomes.
Evidence of the claim in that first sentence please? Because I believe once Mahomes finally learned to read a D, Andy fully trusted him. Hell Andy wanted to trade up for the kid and then traded away Alex Smith after a year. Gotta have a lot of trust to do that to a QB that went to the playoffs year after year.
[Reply]
DRM08 03:02 PM 10-14-2021
Originally Posted by comochiefsfan:

Stefanski seems to trust Mayfield more as well. Just look at the 4th down attempts by the Browns in Week 1 compared to Andy kicking field goal on 4th and short.
[Reply]
Easy 6 03:08 PM 10-14-2021
Originally Posted by DRM08:
Stefanski seems to trust Mayfield more as well. Just look at the 4th down attempts by the Browns in Week 1 compared to Andy kicking field goal on 4th and short.
The 4th down question is a perfectly fair criticism on its face

But my question is, is it a matter of not "trusting" Mahomes enough... or is it simply just that Andy comes from the old school where you don't take "crazy" chances like that except in obvious situations?
[Reply]
DRM08 03:11 PM 10-14-2021
Originally Posted by Easy 6:
The 4th down question is a perfectly fair criticism on its face

But my question is, is it a matter of not "trusting" Mahomes enough... or is it simply just that Andy comes from the old school where you don't take "crazy" chances like that except in obvious situations?
He's got a young coach in his division who showed him a few weeks ago what to do with a stud QB in those situations. Balls to the wall.
[Reply]
Marcellus 03:12 PM 10-14-2021
The offense and certainly not Mahomes isn't the issue. Stop wasting your damn time talking about it.

Prior to Sundays game he was on track for a career season statistically with 30% fewer possessions than he should be getting.
[Reply]
BossChief 03:13 PM 10-14-2021
Originally Posted by tk13:
That's literally what Belichick has done for 40 years. It's obviously a little more complicated than that and you have to have a good defense to do it. That's how he defended Peyton Manning about every time they played. Forced him to take the underneath stuff and made sure the defense kept everything in front of them at all costs. You can still win but you'll have to reel off a bunch of 10-15 play drives to do it.

The most famous example is what he did against Jim Kelly in the Super Bowl 30 years ago. It's been told a million times, you can probably look it up. The Bills were this all-time great high flying offense. Belichick told the Giants defense that they were selling out to stop the pass and let Thurman Thomas have whatever he wants on the ground. Thomas ran wild but they shut them down enough to win.
I knew someone would beat me to it. What teams are doing is nearly identical to how defenses limited Peyton.

I’ve wondered if a no huddle with Hill, Gordon, Kelce, Gray and Williams would allow us top level versatility that every skill position can split out wide or inline block for runs to give us more beef to overload the defenses trying to load up with DBs to force us to kill them with a thousand cuts.

Ok, then here’s a few 300-360 pounders to pile drive those DBs into submission.
[Reply]
Mecca 03:18 PM 10-14-2021

There are things they should also just know to do...I personally think you should tease the defense with a Kelce/Fortson formation. The minute they play thar as a run set immediately get into no huddle and attack it.
[Reply]
Easy 6 03:25 PM 10-14-2021
Originally Posted by DRM08:
He's got a young coach in his division who showed him a few weeks ago what to do with a stud QB in those situations. Balls to the wall.
I hear you, and agree... just not sure old dog Andy is open to learning any new tricks in that regard
[Reply]
HC_Chief 03:25 PM 10-14-2021
Originally Posted by Mecca:
There are things they should also just know to do...I personally think you should tease the defense with a Kelce/Fortson formation. The minute they play thar as a run set immediately get into no huddle and attack it.
Yep, personnel mismatch is best time to do this! Roll out a "jumbo/run-first" package, e.g. 2 TE set, see if D counters with a run-stopping personnel group, then go no-huddle pass-first and burn their ass.
[Reply]
dirk digler 03:26 PM 10-14-2021
Originally Posted by Detoxing:
That's what they've been doing. It hasn't brought teams out of those looks.

Over the last 3 games the Chiefs have averaged almost 170 YPG on the ground.

This idea that the Chiefs aren't running enough, or that our run game isn't effective is just dead ass wrong. It's a national media talking point that's not grounded in any sort of reality.

What teams are doing, and what i believe Mahomes was alluding too earlier this week when he said no one faces coverages like us, is that NO MATTER WHAT, every single goddamn snap the defenses are playing shell coverages.
Mahomes is our 2nd leading rusher with 153 yds lol. No one respects our running game or CEH. Are you telling me if we had King Henry they would still sit back in a 2 deep look? I don't buy that at all.
[Reply]
Page 3 of 6
< 123 456 >
Up