Page 2 of 6
< 12 3456 >
Nzoner's Game Room>The New Strategy to Slow Down Patrick Mahomes: Don’t Blitz
Realbaddog 11:13 AM 10-14-2021
Found this article, interesting read:

The New Strategy to Slow Down Patrick Mahomes: Don’t Blitz
[Reply]
dlphg9 12:10 PM 10-14-2021
Yeah, they may be slowing us down and all, but they're not stopping us. We are stopping ourselves with guys uncharacteristically fumbling and receivers tipping up catchable balls for ints.

We are scoring more points per drive than we did in 2018 and that's even with us doubling our turnover% from that year. We lead the league in #of plays per drive, time per drive, yards per drive, and points per drive. This is possibly the best offense in league history without the flukey turnover%. No way we continue to turn the ball over +20% of the time.

That's against the 1st, 11th, 13th, 15th, and 21st ranked defenses by PPG.

We've punted a grand total of 8 times in 5 games. We are on pace for 27 punts in 17, we punted 52 times in 16 games last year. The record for least punts in a 16 game season is 34 and it's the only time a team has punted less than 40.times in a season.

I just have to say, watch out NFL. A beast is about to be released.
[Reply]
crispystl 12:11 PM 10-14-2021
Originally Posted by Jerm:
I still wish we'd run a lot more up tempo, even no huddle, offense...keep the defense on their toes and maybe they screw up substitutions, assignments, play calls, etc.

I really think Mahomes would command it to a T.
I hadn't though t about this, but you're right.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 12:13 PM 10-14-2021
Originally Posted by JakeF:
Most running QBs have to prove they can win from the pocket.
TOO BAD ALEX NEVER COULD
[Reply]
Red Dawg 12:16 PM 10-14-2021
Teams haven't stopped Mahomes. The offense has stopped themselves.
[Reply]
O.city 12:24 PM 10-14-2021
Literally stop turning the ball over.

Problem solved.
[Reply]
comochiefsfan 12:30 PM 10-14-2021
Originally Posted by Jerm:
I still wish we'd run a lot more up tempo, even no huddle, offense...keep the defense on their toes and maybe they screw up substitutions, assignments, play calls, etc.

I really think Mahomes would command it to a T.
I mean that's what he did at Texas Tech.

If anything that would probably come even more natural to him.
[Reply]
Titty Meat 12:32 PM 10-14-2021
Were 2nd in offense so it's working well
[Reply]
Dunerdr 12:37 PM 10-14-2021
Its honestly not a problem if you dont have as many drops, turnovers and a god awful defense like we do. If you take away two of those 3 we'd be fine.
[Reply]
DRM08 12:38 PM 10-14-2021
Originally Posted by comochiefsfan:
I mean that's what he did at Texas Tech.

If anything that would probably come even more natural to him.
Correct. Kingsbury ran fast tempo 100% of the time with Mahomes, even though they had the worst defense in the world as part of that team.

If Andy is trying to protect his crappy defense by running a slow tempo on offense, it's not working. The defense is still terrible, and I think quicker tempo might help the KC offense get into a better groove.
[Reply]
Dunerdr 12:39 PM 10-14-2021
Originally Posted by DRM08:
Correct. Kingsbury ran fast tempo 100% of the time with Mahomes, even though they had the worst defense in the world as part of that team.

If Andy is trying to protect his crappy defense by running a slow tempo on offense, it's not working. The defense is still terrible, and I think quicker tempo might help the KC offense get into a better groove.
Why not just say fuck it and wear the defense out.
[Reply]
tk13 12:58 PM 10-14-2021
Originally Posted by comochiefsfan:
Makes you wonder why every team doesn't do this against all elite qbs.

Just simply refuse to get beat deep.
That's literally what Belichick has done for 40 years. It's obviously a little more complicated than that and you have to have a good defense to do it. That's how he defended Peyton Manning about every time they played. Forced him to take the underneath stuff and made sure the defense kept everything in front of them at all costs. You can still win but you'll have to reel off a bunch of 10-15 play drives to do it.

The most famous example is what he did against Jim Kelly in the Super Bowl 30 years ago. It's been told a million times, you can probably look it up. The Bills were this all-time great high flying offense. Belichick told the Giants defense that they were selling out to stop the pass and let Thurman Thomas have whatever he wants on the ground. Thomas ran wild but they shut them down enough to win.
[Reply]
Rain Man 01:02 PM 10-14-2021
Originally Posted by tk13:
That's literally what Belichick has done for 40 years. It's obviously a little more complicated than that and you have to have a good defense to do it. That's how he defended Peyton Manning about every time they played. Forced him to take the underneath stuff and made sure the defense kept everything in front of them at all costs. You can still win but you'll have to reel off a bunch of 10-15 play drives to do it.

The most famous example is what he did against Jim Kelly in the Super Bowl 30 years ago. It's been told a million times, you can probably look it up. The Bills were this all-time great high flying offense. Belichick told the Giants defense that they were selling out to stop the pass and let Thurman Thomas have whatever he wants on the ground. Thomas ran wild but they shut them down enough to win.
It's easier to get those 10-15 play drives when you get a defensive holding call on every critical third down.
[Reply]
suzzer99 01:17 PM 10-14-2021
It's a lot easier to not blitz when one if not both of your defensive ends can get pressure around the outside on any given play. Our O-line is much better except in that one area, and it's killing us.
[Reply]
Chiefspants 02:01 PM 10-14-2021
Originally Posted by tk13:

I’ve always wondered if that story would be remembered without the wide right.
[Reply]
Kman34 02:11 PM 10-14-2021
4 Vertical routes once per possession, if Patrick has time to throw.. If we start hitting them they will have to start blitzing then we have them…
[Reply]
Page 2 of 6
< 12 3456 >
Up