1 2345 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>The New Strategy to Slow Down Patrick Mahomes: Don’t Blitz
Realbaddog 11:13 AM 10-14-2021
Found this article, interesting read:

The New Strategy to Slow Down Patrick Mahomes: Don’t Blitz
[Reply]
JakeF 11:16 AM 10-14-2021
Good to really discuss football. :-)

BTW: This has been used against QB's before.

Don't blitz, keep them in the pocket, drop back and force them to beat you with their brain and with consistency.

Most running QBs have to prove they can win from the pocket.
[Reply]
comochiefsfan 11:19 AM 10-14-2021
Makes you wonder why every team doesn't do this against all elite qbs.

Just simply refuse to get beat deep.
[Reply]
PAChiefsGuy 11:20 AM 10-14-2021
I use same strategy in Madden
[Reply]
stevegroganfan 11:28 AM 10-14-2021
Originally Posted by comochiefsfan:

Some teams have very good defenses and very good running attacks so employing this strategy in those circumstances will usually result in a loss.

And other teams with elite QBs may have such bad receivers/tight ends that blitzing a bit still makes sense.
[Reply]
JakeF 11:45 AM 10-14-2021
Originally Posted by comochiefsfan:

In the past, offenses would run a defense out of this type of scheme.

If we had a dangerous RB, i don't think defenses could do this against us.

Jamaal Charles wouldn't let this shit happen. He would destroy any defense that disrespected him by running a scheme like that. If your RB can consistently make the 1st tackler miss, this defense scheme is toast.
[Reply]
ModSocks 11:49 AM 10-14-2021
Originally Posted by JakeF:
In the past, offenses would run a defense out of this type of scheme.

If we had a dangerous RB, i don't think defenses could do this against us.

We're the 7th ranked rushing team in the league right now.

Teams don't give a damn how good our rushing attack may be. They're not coming out of that shell coverage.
[Reply]
BWillie 11:50 AM 10-14-2021
Solution. Run tons of short and intermediate routes. Wheel routes, screens, quick slants
[Reply]
ModSocks 11:53 AM 10-14-2021
Originally Posted by BWillie:
Solution. Run tons of short and intermediate routes. Wheel routes, screens, quick slants
That's what they've been doing. It hasn't brought teams out of those looks.

Over the last 3 games the Chiefs have averaged almost 170 YPG on the ground.

This idea that the Chiefs aren't running enough, or that our run game isn't effective is just dead ass wrong. It's a national media talking point that's not grounded in any sort of reality.

What teams are doing, and what i believe Mahomes was alluding too earlier this week when he said no one faces coverages like us, is that NO MATTER WHAT, every single goddamn snap the defenses are playing shell coverages.
[Reply]
Jerm 11:55 AM 10-14-2021
I still wish we'd run a lot more up tempo, even no huddle, offense...keep the defense on their toes and maybe they screw up substitutions, assignments, play calls, etc.

I really think Mahomes would command it to a T.
[Reply]
DRM08 11:58 AM 10-14-2021
Originally Posted by Jerm:
I still wish we'd run a lot more up tempo, even no huddle, offense...keep the defense on their toes and maybe they screw up substitutions, assignments, play calls, etc.

I agree with you. I guess Andy is trying to help the weak KC defense by running more clock with the KC offense. It hasn’t really helped the KC defense, and it has arguably prevented the KC offense from getting into a groove.
[Reply]
Eureka 12:00 PM 10-14-2021
I'm thinking the Chiefs defense has something to do with this strategy. Teams know they can score so they focus on taking away Mahomes big play stuff.
[Reply]
BWillie 12:02 PM 10-14-2021
Originally Posted by Jerm:

I like this idea, too. Not sure our WR corps are deep enough to it but perhaps Gordon could help once he gets a grasp on the offense if we want to do this.
[Reply]
New World Order 12:06 PM 10-14-2021
We need a running back who can bust some big plays every once in a while.
[Reply]
Gary Cooper 12:09 PM 10-14-2021
If teams want to give up time of possession, I'm all for it. Keep their offenses on the sidelines while KC marches down the field for 8 or 9 minutes.

The key is discipline. Don't have turnovers. Don't take drive killing penalties. This is how I remember New England moving the ball. Long drives. Few big plays. Guys catch the ball and fall down rather than risk fumbling while trying to get extra yardage. It helps the refs didn't call penalties on NE but that' something the Chiefs will have to get better at.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 6
1 2345 > Last »
Up