ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 5 of 6
< 12345 6 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Costco finally coming to the Northland
Bowser 01:22 PM 03-04-2016
About damned time....

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- Kansas City, city officials revealed plans Friday for a massive economic development project in the northland.

The plans include a new Costco and possibly a new school.

Clearing land has already started for the two-part project. The first part of the project is a new Costco at the corner of 88th and Platte Purchase Drive.

The warehouse club hopes to open November 1. If the deadline is missed -- Costco will open in April, 2017.

The second part of the project includes the donation of 88-acres of land to the Platte County R-3 School District. The land is north and west of the Costco development. There are no plans yet -- but the land could possibly hold a new high school and middle school.

"I always joke, I've always heard about developers they give land to school districts, but I've never actually had it happen to me,” Platte Co. R-3 Superintendent Mike Reik said. “To Platte County schools and our children. But in fact it has happened, and we couldn't be more grateful for that."

The project is near the Twin Creeks Development. The plan is to develop all around the Twin Creeks Development and bring more economic growth to the northland.

http://fox4kc.com/2016/03/04/city-of...n-in-november/

[Reply]
Stewie 11:09 PM 03-05-2016
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
I think you're smoking crack.

Costco gasoline is consistently at least 15% less than 76, Shell, Chevron and Valero and often times, 30% or less.

Toilet paper, paper towels, trash bags, Kleenex and other cleaning goods are at least 30% than Target or grocery stores.

18 Grade A Large eggs are $2.29 at Costco and $4.79 at the Ralphs half a mile away. And don't even get me started on chicken, beef, vegetables and especially, alcohol.

I get six hearts of Romaine lettuce for $2.79 at Costco, but a single head at Ralphs costs $1.99. A 5 pound bag of baby carrots is $4.49 while a one pound bag of the same exact brand is $1.99 at Ralphs.

I could go on and on and on but the bottom line is that you're wrong.

Plus, as a Executive Member, I receive a check each which equals 2% of my total spending, which easily covers the membership fee.

Those prices must be a California thing. The prices you quote for grocery store items are WAY higher than here in KC. Ralph must be a serial rapist.

A sample of ads in KC this week:

5 lbs. of organic carrots $2.98.
1 dozen Grade A eggs 99 cents.
I could go on and on.

Gasoline varies widely based on price swings. Sometimes it's a couple of pennies, sometimes more. I don't ever remember gasoline being 30% cheaper than other stations. That would mean as of today I could buy gasoline at Sam's/Costco for $1.28-ish. Not happening. In fact, Sam's/Costco isn't even the cheapest gasoline in the KC metro according to online published prices.

Consumer Reports has always stated that paper goods at "club" stores are the worst deal in those stores and I've seen it with my own eyes.
[Reply]
Miles 11:17 PM 03-05-2016
I have always found Costco to be notably less expensive on many things. Cheapest gas around as well.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 11:43 PM 03-05-2016
Originally Posted by Stewie:
Those prices must be a California thing. The prices you quote for grocery store items are WAY higher than here in KC. Ralph must be a serial rapist.

A sample of ads in KC this week:

5 lbs. of organic carrots $2.98.
1 dozen Grade A eggs 99 cents.
I could go on and on.
Ralphs (Kroger) is actually the cheapest grocery store in town. Pavillion's and Albertson's are way more expensive.

Even when compared to Target, which has a fairly decent grocery section, Costco is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay less expensive.

And steak? Costco has Ribeye's for $8.99 a pound. The cheapest butcher around has them for $13.99 and if you go to the Farmer's Market, Gelson's, Beachwood Canyon Market or Bristol Farms, you're paying $23.99+ per pound.
[Reply]
Stewie 12:07 AM 03-06-2016
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
Ralphs (Kroger) is actually the cheapest grocery store in town. Pavillion's and Albertson's are way more expensive.

Even when compared to Target, which has a fairly decent grocery section, Costco is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay less expensive.

And steak? Costco has Ribeye's for $8.99 a pound. The cheapest butcher around has them for $13.99 and if you go to the Farmer's Market, Gelson's, Beachwood Canyon Market or Bristol Farms, you're paying $23.99+ per pound.
Belonging to Costco makes sense if those are the other options.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 12:11 AM 03-06-2016
Originally Posted by Stewie:
Belonging to Costco makes sense if those are the other options.
I paid $1.99 a gallon for gas last week at Costco, yet it was $2.79 at the closest Chevron.

I think our prices are inflated due to freight and gasoline but there's no tax on "real" food. There's tax on candy and alcohol and that stuff but pretty much everything in the grocery store is tax free.

With a family of four and two adult female Labradors, it's a life saver (and money saver). Dog food is $45 dollars for a 30 pound bag of Adult Low Calorie food yet at Costco, it's $25.99.

That adds up rather quickly.
[Reply]
blake5676 12:32 AM 03-06-2016
Originally Posted by eDave:
Meadowbrook Elem --> Antioch HS --> Oak Park
Gashland--> Clardy-->New Mark-->Oak Park
[Reply]
philfree 04:13 PM 10-15-2021
Just had me first Costco experience. Didn't go crazy but the new Costco here in Springfield is about 700 yards from my house so if I need something it's handy.
[Reply]
MTG#10 04:26 PM 10-15-2021
Originally Posted by philfree:
Just had me first Costco experience. Didn't go crazy but the new Costco here in Springfield is about 700 yards from my house so if I need something it's handy.
I've been in there about 20 times already since it opened. So much better than Sam's.
[Reply]
Bump 05:15 PM 10-15-2021
as a longtime costco shopper, it has gone quite downhill over the past few years in terms of quality but is still the best place to buy groceries and stuff. As a guy who loves cheese, there's no better place to buy 5 lbs of delicious pizza shop quality mozzarella and the crap in the grocery stores can't even compare at 5x the price.
[Reply]
Pablo 05:19 PM 10-15-2021
I don't go into Costco without accepting I'm gonna drop 200. That's the only issue I have with it. Their booze, meat and household products are enough reason to have a membership.
[Reply]
MTG#10 06:20 PM 10-15-2021
Originally Posted by Bump:
as a longtime costco shopper, it has gone quite downhill over the past few years in terms of quality but is still the best place to buy groceries and stuff. As a guy who loves cheese, there's no better place to buy 5 lbs of delicious pizza shop quality mozzarella and the crap in the grocery stores can't even compare at 5x the price.
I have to admit I was a little disappointed with their packer briskets. I've read for years how top-notch they are, finally got a costco in town and they're the exact same briskets Sam's has. They're not bad, but I guess they either changed or people have been exaggerating the quality on all of the smoking forums I visit.
[Reply]
philfree 06:27 PM 10-15-2021
I have to say that the roasted chicken is great.
[Reply]
philfree 06:32 PM 10-15-2021
Originally Posted by MTG#10:
I have to admit I was a little disappointed with their packer briskets. I've read for years how top-notch they are, finally got a costco in town and they're the exact same briskets Sam's has. They're not bad, but I guess they either changed or people have been exaggerating the quality on all of the smoking forums I visit.
I looked at the briskets and didn't buy one but I figure I can get one in short notice if I want to smoke one up. They're monsters that need a lot of trimming so that needs to be timed with trash day because nobody like maggots in their trash. The meat looked good though. I did buy some nice filets.
[Reply]
MTG#10 06:53 PM 10-15-2021
Originally Posted by philfree:
I looked at the briskets and didn't buy one but I figure I can get one in short notice if I want to smoke one up. They're monsters that need a lot of trimming so that needs to be timed with trash day because nobody like maggots in their trash. The meat looked good though. I did buy some nice filets.
Just keep the trim refrigerated until trash day.

It's not bad quality but like you said you're paying for a ton of unuseable weight.
[Reply]
Stewie 07:44 PM 10-15-2021
I belonged to both Costco and Sam's. Not worth the membership fee. Shop grocery store sales and Aldi/Traders and you'll be miles ahead
[Reply]
Page 5 of 6
< 12345 6 >
Up