ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 22 of 26
« First < 121819202122 23242526 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Spags does it again
RunKC 08:52 PM 01-21-2023
20 points allowed
Lawrence three for only 90 yards in his first 23 attempts (3.91 avg)
Tackling was solid
Blitzes were very good including the Reid blitz that on the Watson pick play

He did this with 5 rookies playing a lot of snaps today. Just a remarkable performance from his defense
[Reply]
Chris Meck 06:33 PM 01-31-2023
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
Wait, I got it. The 3rd and 14 conversion to Boyd.

Oh wait, he had Bolton on a choice Blitz (who picked up the RB instead of continue the rush) and was running what looks like man cover 1 with Chase bracketed on the far side of the field.

So yeah, tell me more about all this soft zone that allowed the Bengals to convert because kiddo - I see 3 of them and not a ONE of them qualify.

I'm all atwitter with anticipation at the education I'm about to receive.
See, this is why this conversation is SO frustrating. It's like arguing with mongoloid three year olds.

You're absolutely correct, of course-none of those were 'soft zone'.

It's like if the opposition completes a pass, they just scream "FUCKING SPAGS!"

They hate 'the scheme' and have no idea what that is, they hate zone blitzes although they don't know what THAT is either, they just see Karlaftis drop and scream about how dumb it is that 'Spags is trying to cover the #1 receiver with a DE!'

OMG-I just can't anymore.
[Reply]
ModSocks 06:41 PM 01-31-2023
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:

They hate 'the scheme' and have no idea what that is, they hate zone blitzes although they don't know what THAT is either, they just see Karlaftis drop and scream about how dumb it is that 'Spags is trying to cover the #1 receiver with a DE!'

OMG-I just can't anymore.
:-)

This. Especially the bolded.
[Reply]
raybec 4 06:44 PM 01-31-2023
Name the play, explain the 'call' and what was 'dumb as ****' about it.

Because Chase catching a jump ball between double coverage or Hurst catching a dig route because our top remaining CB slipped on his break doesn't count.

[Reply]
Rausch 06:46 PM 01-31-2023
Spags is a giant killer. He finds ways to fuck with the NFL's top QB's.

He's not concerned with being a top 5 or 10 D by the numbers. He's not overly concerned with rankings. He wants to prevent the other QB from getting comfortable and having success.

If he can do it vs. Brady he can do it vs. anyone...
[Reply]
Megatron96 06:48 PM 01-31-2023
Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501:
I think that’s an oversimplification. That’s like saying Rex Ryan wasn’t a great defensive coach at one point. Sutton had a pretty decent scheme even with DEs who couldn’t stay healthy. This was back in the days when lots of defenses were running Tampa 2 and Ryan/Sutton started to move to these nickel and dime looks. The problem was that Sutton never evolved the scheme to the changing times. Rex Ryan tried to evolve his scheme to bring more pressure but just wasn’t successful.

I feel a little bad for Sutton because a lot of his bad rep is the chiefs fault for keeping him maybe 2 years or so past his usefulness.
he was mind-numbingly predictable. And he kept trying to stick square pegs in round holes.

But the thing that really got my attention was when Spags came in he immediately found work for guys like Ragland and KPass, among others; guys that Sutton had available to him for years, but never found any use for.

That's pretty much when I lost all remaining respect for Sutton.

Btw, it helps some if you read CF's posts in this guy's voice:

[Reply]
The Franchise 06:50 PM 01-31-2023
Wait, I got it. The 3rd and 14 conversion to Boyd.

Oh wait, he had Bolton on a choice Blitz (who picked up the RB instead of continue the rush) and was running what looks like man cover 1 with Chase bracketed on the far side of the field.

So yeah, tell me more about all this soft zone that allowed the Bengals to convert because kiddo - I see 3 of them and not a ONE of them qualify.

You’re talking to people who expect this defense to get a 3 and out on every drive like they aren’t facing off against actual talent.
[Reply]
Bl00dyBizkitz 07:48 PM 01-31-2023
Originally Posted by Bump:
does anyone else remember Mahomes first year starting, I honestly forget who the DC even was that year, but damn before Spags it had to be one of the worst in history. Nothing like dropping 50 points and losing.
I wanted Sutton gone the moment we blew a 28 point lead to the Colts in 2014.

28 POINT LEAD. IN THE PLAYOFFS.

I'm actually amazed he lasted as long as he did.
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 07:51 PM 01-31-2023
Originally Posted by Bl00dyBizkitz:
I wanted Sutton gone the moment we blew a 28 point lead to the Colts in 2014.

28 POINT LEAD. IN THE PLAYOFFS.

I'm actually amazed he lasted as long as he did.
Then we did it again against the Titans.
[Reply]
Oxford 10:15 PM 01-31-2023
Originally Posted by wachashi:
Sutton had a system. And that's pretty much all he ran. It was "I hope our guy beats their guy. If not, they should try harder." He saw some success with that approach because he had a stacked defensive roster for a few years.

Spags is much more matchup specific. He runs a multitude of coverages and will actually think critically about what levers he can pull defensively to create an advantage. This approach is less reliant on out-talenting the other team. Which is exactly what we need in our current situation.
Good Observation, which is why the defense struggles early in the year before tendencies are cataloged. What that approach takes is great coaches to bring it to the player level, and buy in from players to do their job, not someone elses. It also defines what kind of player they look for on defense
[Reply]
MAHOMO 4 LIFE! 10:24 PM 01-31-2023

A wholesome moment between @TheRealFrankC_ and Big Red after the @Chiefs' win ��@NFLFilms | #Chiefs #ChiefsKingdom pic.twitter.com/YvHtXB0Ow9

— Inside the NFL (@insidetheNFL) January 31, 2023

[Reply]
TwistedChief 10:25 PM 01-31-2023
Can someone please answer this gentleman?

There’s unbridled optimism in the Frank Clark thread that he needs to stamp out lest we develop a majority willing to bring him back next year.

Batman can only respond to so many signals at once, but his role in the Spags thread can save Gotham.

(Side note: it’s so much more fun being on the same side of DJLN’s intifadas.)
[Reply]
ReynardMuldrake 11:03 PM 01-31-2023

[Reply]
Chris Meck 07:19 AM 02-01-2023
So not a SINGLE Spags hater could answer DJ?

That's what I thought. Chiefsfanatic and co. are frauds. Know-nothings.
[Reply]
seamonster 09:04 AM 02-01-2023
Never seen an NFL defense press that much against number 1's. Reminded me of when Spagnoloua blitzed Jordan Love every down. Burrow was matt castling because of the pass rush and the chiefs played aggressive. That won't work against the Eagles though.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 09:06 AM 02-01-2023
Originally Posted by seamonster:
Never seen an NFL defense press that much against number 1's. Reminded me of when Spagnoloua blitzed Jordan Love every down. Burrow was matt castling because of the pass rush and the chiefs played aggressive. That won't work against the Eagles though.
I think it can, actually, if you're smart about how you go about it.
[Reply]
Page 22 of 26
« First < 121819202122 23242526 >
Up