ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 72 of 223
« First < 22626869707172 7374757682122172 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>What are you Smoking/Grilling/BBQ'ing this weekend?
BigRedChief 03:48 PM 07-03-2015
What are you up to this weekend?

I finally gave up on my smoker and decided to get a new smoker. I went with a bigger model but less tech. Yes, its a cheater electric smoker. My 3rd one. I need more space to cook, I don't need help getting my smoke and temp right. :-)

I've also never used injection for flavor except for pork butt or other big cuts of meat. I decided to give it a try. I developed my own injection. Basically like the other recipes you have out on the internet but I'm putting the rub in the injection and using sirracchi.

Full results not in yet but my son and I think its the best sausage we have ever had.

No sauce. Marinated the meat overnight. Injected the meat. Slow cooked the ribs and chicken. Baste it with a combo of butter and apple juice. Using a combination of Apple, Mesquite, Cherry and Hickory wood.
Attached: 11539678_10205518593098849_7496287094654554585_n.jpg (58.7 KB) 11204917_10205518655060398_84193330748835473_n.jpg (107.7 KB) 11403311_10205518654740390_5737794009802538289_n.jpg (92.7 KB) 11060263_10205518594938895_5571454432064515726_n.jpg (86.7 KB) 
[Reply]
BigRedChief 12:10 PM 06-10-2018
Originally Posted by BryanBusby:
When I go low and slow I usually budget 2 hrs per pound which allows me enough time to fully cook and rest in the cooler.

Brisket isn't hard to make as long as you don't panic. When you panic and switch shit up that's when it goes to hell and you have jerkey.

If its well overdone the meat will be dry and if its under, it'll be tough and chewy.

Make sure to give yourself enough time and don't panic if the temps get up quickly. It's going to hit a stall when all that fat begins to work itself. You can foil it and shoot past if you're a bit pressed at that moment (butcher paper is better, but harder to get) to help it past the stall, but I generally just let it ride.

If I want a brisket and want it much faster, I cook it around 350 and inject it really well and put a water bowl in to help avoid drying out.

Outside of that, only slice what you intend to eat for the moment and leave the rest whole.

Don't need any fancy rubs. Salt and pepper is just fine. Don't go too heavy on the rub though.
l Agee. I panicked first time when my temp jumped up fast on my first brisket. Just stick with your plan.

Originally Posted by BryanBusby:
Give it a nice coat, but not too heavy. You don't want to overpower the natural taste of the brisket.
agreed, l really like to put a thick layer of rub in chicken, butts and ribs. But, brisket, easy up on the rub.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 12:19 PM 06-10-2018
Originally Posted by lewdog:
How early can I pick up the packers cut and keep in my fridge before cooking?

How much before cooking do I put on salt and pepper?
Trim up the fat. I inject the brisket with apple juice. But, a lot less than l would a butt or chicken. Put the light rub on. Keep in the fridge for 24 hours prior going into the smoker.
[Reply]
lewdog 12:30 PM 06-10-2018
This post might get me banned. Call me a SOB, piece of shit or trailer trash.

I looked at the brisket and thought, man that’s big for 4 people eating. I scanned down the line to just the flat.....that looks more realistic. What will CP think? The wife was in a hurry. “Hurry up, this kid is gonna lose his shit soon.” I grabbed. A bought. A 6lb flat.

I don’t deserve any of you.

I’m sorry.
[Reply]
lewdog 12:33 PM 06-10-2018
So this?

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/...recipe-2013912
[Reply]
BigRedChief 12:33 PM 06-10-2018

I looked at the brisket and thought, man that’s big for 4 people eating. I scanned down the line to just the flat.....that looks more realistic. What will CP think? The wife was in a hurry. “Hurry up, this kid is gonna lose his shit soon.” I grabbed. A bought. A 6lb flat.

I’m sorry.
you are officially disowned. :-)
[Reply]
BryanBusby 12:40 PM 06-10-2018

I’m sorry.
Put that shit in the crockpot with some liquid smoke than go buy a real piece of meat.

I generally say avoid flats because they can go dry real easily and dry brisket fucking sucks. I would suggest a combo of injection, spritzing and a water bowl in the smoker and pray real hard it doesn't dry out.

You can do the Okie Joes rub, but that's some really busy shit and totally unnecessary to get good tasting brisket.
[Reply]
KCUnited 12:44 PM 06-10-2018
Better off brining that thing into corned beef at this point.
[Reply]
lewdog 01:06 PM 06-10-2018
Seriously though, FMB said he separates the flat and the pointe when cooking. What’s the difference here?
[Reply]
srvy 01:07 PM 06-10-2018

I’m sorry.
Nothing wrong with smoking a flat its best for sandwiches but do know that a brisket shrinks a whole lot. Think 4 to 6 hours in the pool.

I use dalmatian rub 1-1 ratio salt and pepper basically covering the meat with pepper. salt and pat it in then pepper till covered pat in turn and do same. oh yeah as far as trimming I do little if any unless I find rind or gristle maybe the better word. You can alway trim off any fat after the smoke. There is many ideas about fat, science says the meat after so many hours seals up and fat doesnt render into meats. The traditionalists say the science is bunk. I fall the latter leave it as is it can be trimmed later.

Basting or mopping I dont do when at a good temp i dont want to interrupt it with something that really does nothing for a fatty meat. Injecting is to me a waste of effort. Its good with Poultry and lean pork but to me adds nothing to fatty beef.

The Texas crutch Id rather speed up the process with higher temps of smoke that steam the meat. I dont care about smoke rings Im not in competition I want to eat as soon as can with good flavor you can smoke higher and have it all except the ring. I have tried the foil and the paper and found just another unnecessary step. Sometimes you just get a bad cut of beef and that requires sliceing it and sauce it up and slow cook in a crock pot or electric fryer only way to save it sometimes. My mom did the latter many times and made a tough brisket melt like butter in your mouth.

The thing is know what you like and have patience. Everyone has their own ideas that works for them experiment.

Good luck
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 01:18 PM 06-10-2018

I’m sorry.

[Reply]
srvy 01:18 PM 06-10-2018
Seriously though, FMB said he separates the flat and the pointe when cooking. What’s the difference here?
I do also mostly because I do brisket in a WSM and fits better plus the point vs flat finishes at different time also the process for good burnt ends is easier removed.

Was the brisket flat in shrink wrap or cellophane on foam try? The cellophane will be trimmed way to much and the shrink wrap is just the packer with the point removed and untrimmed.
[Reply]
BryanBusby 01:33 PM 06-10-2018
Maybe it's just where I look, but all flats look butchered to all hell.
[Reply]
lewdog 01:44 PM 06-10-2018
Originally Posted by srvy:
I do also mostly because I do brisket in a WSM and fits better plus the point vs flat finishes at different time also the process for good burnt ends is easier removed.

Was the brisket flat in shrink wrap or cellophane on foam try? The cellophane will be trimmed way to much and the shrink wrap is just the packer with the point removed and untrimmed.
One in shrink wrap. Here she is. Back of this is all fat. Doesn't appear to be trimmed.

[Reply]
srvy 01:48 PM 06-10-2018
One in shrink wrap. Here she is.

You will be fine but no burnt ends for you.
[Reply]
BryanBusby 01:57 PM 06-10-2018
One in shrink wrap. Here she is. Back of this is all fat. Doesn't appear to be trimmed.

Oh, that's not too bad!

You still lost the right to stand up to pee, though.
[Reply]
Page 72 of 223
« First < 22626869707172 7374757682122172 > Last »
Up