View Poll Results: Pay Orlando Brown Jr a 6 yr $145 mil contract
Yes 55 47.41%
No 61 52.59%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll
Page 5 of 343
< 12345 67891555105 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Orlando Brown Projected Contract 6 year $145 mil
dlphg9 08:17 PM 03-28-2022
So there's an article on NFL network saying that Orlando Brown is expected to sign for 6 years $145 mil.

That comes to $24.16 mil/yr and makes him the highest paid offensive lineman in football. It also would give him the 19th highest salary per year in the NFL

How would you feel if that is the contract he ended up signing?

I'm fine with it. He is a top 5 LT and he's only 26 next season. A young great LT is a guy you can't let leave.
[Reply]
Wisconsin_Chief 05:47 AM 03-29-2022
Originally Posted by TEX:
This..All day long. Dude is a good LT not a great one. Fisher was actually a better all around LT.
Yeah, if the only justification you have for paying Brown is "What the hell else are we supposed to do," that's pure desperation.

We wouldn't make a generational WR that we drafted and groomed the highest paid at his position, but we're going to give an average LT who the Ravens didn't even want the biggest contract for an o-lineman in NFL history because we have no other plan and don't want to look stupid for trading a pick for him?

Sorry, but that's just really infuriating. There are always guys floating around in free agency that can play at the level Brown did last year for half the price. The thought process behind this is just really frustrating.
[Reply]
dallaschiefsfan 06:03 AM 03-29-2022
If it's structured right, I'm fine with it. You'll always need to hand out contracts that are larger than you want when you either whiff on drafting a replacement or choose not to draft a younger replacement (for Fisher, in this instance). I expect these types of contracts to be more the exception than rule in the future, assuming Veach continues to draft like a boss. For instance, I wouldn't be surprised if we took a flyer on a mid-round tackle over the next 3 years that ended up being the reason we release/trade OBJ when most of the dead money is gone. This is also why you always draft BPA. If an early to mid first round talent at T dropped this year (not likely), I'd take him at 29/30 in a heartbeat.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 06:11 AM 03-29-2022
Originally Posted by Wisconsin_Chief:
Yeah, if the only justification you have for paying Brown is "What the hell else are we supposed to do," that's pure desperation.

We wouldn't make a generational WR that we drafted and groomed the highest paid at his position, but we're going to give an average LT who the Ravens didn't even want the biggest contract for an o-lineman in NFL history because we have no other plan and don't want to look stupid for trading a pick for him?

Sorry, but that's just really infuriating. There are always guys floating around in free agency that can play at the level Brown did last year for half the price. The thought process behind this is just really frustrating.
No, it's not desperation, it's reality.

The reality is that Brown right now is the best option. Just like the reality is that a 6 year, $145m contract won't really be what it looks like, and will actually be about market value for a 26 year old, 3 time Pro Bowl OT. That's not desperation, it's locking up your best option before the new TV deal sends the cap skyrocketing.

Look, I've been critical of Brown as a fit for the offense long before he got here-back when people wanted to trade for him. I thought he wasn't a great fit for the deep drop, wait for Tyreek to clear coverage 50 yards downfield offense that we ran. And in that, I was right; he's not the best fit for that.

But I think that hero ball era is probably over now in KC, and that's likely a good thing overall as we saw that it's not consistently sustainable.

Now, if Brown wants to be the highest paid LT, then hell no, we trade him on the tag for what we can get and we sign a stop-gap capable of playing if needed and we draft a LT along with the other stuff. Three first round picks!

yeesh. I'd really rather not.

But if it's more in line with a tad above Ronnie Staley's deal then I would think Veach is already prepared for that, and it'll be fine.

If our plan is to run the ball a little more, that's a good thing and plays to our current strengths with Brown and the rest of the OL. Getting the ball out quicker would be wise with the AFC loading up on pass rushers. A little good old fashioned play-action here and there. A more conventional, spread the ball around offense could end up being more deadly than the '**** it, Tyreek down there somewhere' hero ball thing.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 06:17 AM 03-29-2022
Originally Posted by dallaschiefsfan:
If it's structured right, I'm fine with it. You'll always need to hand out contracts that are larger than you want when you either whiff on drafting a replacement or choose not to draft a younger replacement (for Fisher, in this instance). I expect these types of contracts to be more the exception than rule in the future, assuming Veach continues to draft like a boss. For instance, I wouldn't be surprised if we took a flyer on a mid-round tackle over the next 3 years that ended up being the reason we release/trade OBJ when most of the dead money is gone. This is also why you always draft BPA. If an early to mid first round talent at T dropped this year (not likely), I'd take him at 29/30 in a heartbeat.
I don't think I would at 29/30, but I'd certainly take a raw but athletically gifted project later with the idea that you could coach him up into a starter level player. If you hit on a Bakhtiari in the 4th round, then you can flip Brown to like...The Titans where he'd be a perfect fit for a first rounder in 2023 or '24.

Of course, that's not likely, which is why you pay Brown in the first place.
[Reply]
htismaqe 06:19 AM 03-29-2022
That number cannot be right.

They projected Cam Robinson to get not even HALF of what they projected Brown. Terron Armstead didn't even come CLOSE to 6/145.

I think this is a case of the talking heads being overzealous. I'm not going to worry about it until it actually happens.
[Reply]
htismaqe 06:21 AM 03-29-2022
Originally Posted by TwistedChief:
I'll play along for fun.

Trade Brown for a mid 2nd.

Move Thuney to LT like against the Bengals in the regular season. Allegretti at LG. Creed and Trey. And then draft a RT.

I don't think this is remotely realistic but, hey, we're spitballing, right?

If Thuney could play LT competently as he did in that game and not immediately demand LT money, I think this would be the obvious choice.
If you move a guard to tackle, he's going to demand LT money. That's just the nature of the game.
[Reply]
lawrenceRaider 06:24 AM 03-29-2022
Originally Posted by dlphg9:
So there's an article on NFL network saying that Orlando Brown is expected to sign for 6 years $145 mil.

That comes to $24.16 mil/yr and makes him the highest paid offensive lineman in football. It also would give him the 19th highest salary per year in the NFL

How would you feel if that is the contract he ended up signing?

I'm fine with it. He is a top 5 LT and he's only 26 next season. A young great LT is a guy you can't let leave.
A top five LT? Really? He has problems with speed rushers, and is really more of a RT. Chiefs had to trade for him, and at this point have few options other than to pay him, but that kind of money for a guy who honestly isn't better than Fisher was at his peak is crazy.
[Reply]
dlphg9 06:31 AM 03-29-2022
Originally Posted by TEX:
This..All day long. Dude is a good LT not a great one. Fisher was actually a better all around LT.
Fisher wasn't better at all. You have no idea what you are looking at if you think that.
[Reply]
htismaqe 06:38 AM 03-29-2022
Orlando Brown gonna get paid. By the Chiefs.

Stock up on lube, pussies.
[Reply]
lawrenceRaider 06:44 AM 03-29-2022
Originally Posted by dlphg9:
Fisher wasn't better at all. You have no idea what you are looking at if you think that.
Sorry, but you are totally wrong.

I am much happier facing the Chiefs with Brown at LT, especially if the Chiefs are paying him north of $20MM/yr, than Fisher at LT. Brown is perhaps a better run blocker, but Fisher was the superior pass protector.
[Reply]
Rasputin 07:08 AM 03-29-2022
I voted yes because hard to find an elite LT but he is't quite elite hoping he can be though. If we were more of a run team I'd say hell yeah but his foot work in pass blocking is atrocious and that's where we miss Eric Fisher. Eric Fisher wasn't as big but had great foot work that made him a better pass blocker.

It be nice not to have to worry about finding a LTotf.
[Reply]
Rasputin 07:17 AM 03-29-2022
Would it be cheaper now to make a deal like this than wait till after the season and how he does and success of the team makes his stock go up? Then we would have to either really open the pocket book or let him walk or Franchise him again and players hate getting tagged again.

I think that is a variance question. If he kicks ass but not sign the deal it could cost a lot or he could go to different team. Or he may suck and not improve as a pass blocker and that't his biggest knock what's the point of paying him all that money if he always needs help with pass rushers?
[Reply]
-King- 07:24 AM 03-29-2022
That's pretty ridiculous. He got better by the end of the year but this is the kind of deal he would get after next season if he proves that that version of him is the version we'll get in the future.
[Reply]
Simply Red 07:25 AM 03-29-2022
Originally Posted by Razaele:
Naysayers, what's your solution?
Mine would be to hire some average Joe RT and give him an IV of Jolt Cola and turn him loose!!
[Reply]
htismaqe 07:26 AM 03-29-2022
I find it interesting that CP is basically the only place on the interwebs worrying about OBJ.

The rest of the NFL world knows he's going to get paid and they know why.
[Reply]
Page 5 of 343
< 12345 67891555105 > Last »
Up