ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 324 of 382
« First < 224274314320321322323324 325326327328334374 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>50 Beers to Try Before You Die
NewChief 06:18 AM 04-24-2010
Thought the beer snobs here might like this article (and probably critique the hell out of it).

http://www.wisdeo.com/articles/view_post/2984
(CBS) You've heard of "100 Bottles of Beer on the Wall"?

How about 50 to try before you die?!
Spoiler!

[Reply]
Pablo 10:52 AM 09-18-2021

All of this Toppling Goliath talk made me run by the local beer section at Hyvee and see what they had. This one seems to be their flagship IPA. Nice, nothing amazing compared to the other two I had on tap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Reply]
KCUnited 11:50 AM 09-18-2021
Originally Posted by Bearcat:
I don't have a crazy amount of patience to hunt down and wait for beer these days, but would definitely do something like that as long as the wait isn't so crazy that you're out of beer and still have a long time to wait in line.

Is the Triple Barrel 2018 or did they do that other years, too? At 19%, I'd like to try that one in another decade. :-)
Yep its 2018. Which is a good reminder people need not go crazy over these as they make a bunch. Feel it pours at every one of their special events. Have to think those '13/'14 Prop kegs are dwindling though.

From their on-deck page:

[Reply]
Bearcat 12:10 PM 09-18-2021
JFC that Blanton's at 19%. :-)
[Reply]
Pablo 12:38 PM 09-18-2021
JFC that Blanton's at 19%. :-)
Oof. Sounds like trouble. Delicious trouble.
[Reply]
MTG#10 03:53 PM 09-18-2021
KBS has like a burnt/charred thing that I have a hard time getting past... the maple variety hides it for the most part.

There were a couple years in KC where I was done with the BCS hype... having to go out and shop for it on the one day you want to sit at home and avoid shopping, with limits of 1 bottle/person.

Then I moved here and bought an entire case of it and can generally get as much as I want. I'll show up at the beer store at 10am for the variants, but can also still find 2-3 year old variants for like $17 in Phoenix.

I think it's still one of the better stouts out there and will always appreciate it for setting the standard years ago.

Can't help to think the namesake of Toppling Goliath had at least a little bit to do with Goose Island and BCS, given their amazing stouts (the server said it was mostly business related and beer in general).
I dont think I've ever had any TG beers, will have to check to see if I can find any around here.

To backtrack on my previous post about BCS a bit...dont get me wrong, it was some tasty stout...I just didn't think it lived up to the "end all be all best imperial stout ever" hype it seems to get and for the price I would have rather spent my money on a lot of different beers.

One of my all time favorites is Ballast Point High West Victory at Sea...which surprisingly until I just now looked it up didnt realize is actually a porter as well. I haven't seen any Ballast Point beers in the Springfield area for a couple years now though.
[Reply]
Shag 04:37 PM 09-18-2021
Originally Posted by MTG#10:
I dont think I've ever had any TG beers, will have to check to see if I can find any around here.

To backtrack on my previous post about BCS a bit...dont get me wrong, it was some tasty stout...I just didn't think it lived up to the "end all be all best imperial stout ever" hype it seems to get and for the price I would have rather spent my money on a lot of different beers.

One of my all time favorites is Ballast Point High West Victory at Sea...which surprisingly until I just now looked it up didnt realize is actually a porter as well. I haven't seen any Ballast Point beers in the Springfield area for a couple years now though.
IMHO, TG has gone downhill over the years (and I'll probably get flak for that, lol), though that opinion could be predicated on a few other things, mostly that I'm now surrounded by incredible IPAs in SD. I was back in IA recently, and had Psuedo Sue on tap for the first time in a while, and was extremely underwhelmed - and I used to LOVE that beer. I've had a good number of their IPAs over the last few years, and many of them have become very vegetal to me. I know they've had a tumultuous relationship with their brewmaster for a number of years now, and the owner is a known asshole. All that said, definitely worth finding - you may love it (many do).

I used to chase BCBS every year for many years, and it was my favorite beer at the time. It's still extremely tasty (I just put a '14 in my fridge to cool), but it was a different time then - big, bold, BA beers just weren't that common. Now, they're everywhere, and with quite a few world class options, BCBS isn't nearly as special anymore.

If you love VAS, you should hit Ballast for their VAS day, if you ever get the chance - they have a crazy number of variants on tap.
[Reply]
lewdog 05:57 PM 09-18-2021
I’m hammed on lime martinis and bourbon today. Some beer too.
[Reply]
Bearcat 02:34 PM 09-19-2021
Originally Posted by Shag:
IMHO, TG has gone downhill over the years (and I'll probably get flak for that, lol), though that opinion could be predicated on a few other things, mostly that I'm now surrounded by incredible IPAs in SD. I was back in IA recently, and had Psuedo Sue on tap for the first time in a while, and was extremely underwhelmed - and I used to LOVE that beer. I've had a good number of their IPAs over the last few years, and many of them have become very vegetal to me. I know they've had a tumultuous relationship with their brewmaster for a number of years now, and the owner is a known asshole. All that said, definitely worth finding - you may love it (many do).

I used to chase BCBS every year for many years, and it was my favorite beer at the time. It's still extremely tasty (I just put a '14 in my fridge to cool), but it was a different time then - big, bold, BA beers just weren't that common. Now, they're everywhere, and with quite a few world class options, BCBS isn't nearly as special anymore.

If you love VAS, you should hit Ballast for their VAS day, if you ever get the chance - they have a crazy number of variants on tap.
Interesting about TG. I could tell they put a lot into the details of their space in Decorah, so I could seem them being real sticklers for things. And just their namesake shows they have a pretty grand vision.

That's how I think of BCS... it was the end-all/be-all for a number of years partly because it was one of a kind. I thought Schlafly's Imperial Stout was pretty damn close in certain years, but was inconsistent (and never quite had the body as BCS). Sam Adams had a very tasty imperial stout, but again, not really the whole package. And there was Great Divide Yeti, which was a favorite.

I know the vintage stuff and Chicago-only variants are still very popular there, but no idea if it's just as hyped elsewhere... it's definitely not around here, I could still find a Cafe de Olla or regular BCS in Phoenix for $17.

Don't think I've had any Victory at Sea variants, but the regular stuff is a solid daily drinker.... I know they've fallen off the beer craft enthusiast wagon, but I really need to make it out there and do a San Diego craft beer weekend.
[Reply]
Shag 05:58 PM 09-19-2021
Interesting about TG. I could tell they put a lot into the details of their space in Decorah, so I could seem them being real sticklers for things. And just their namesake shows they have a pretty grand vision.

That's how I think of BCS... it was the end-all/be-all for a number of years partly because it was one of a kind. I thought Schlafly's Imperial Stout was pretty damn close in certain years, but was inconsistent (and never quite had the body as BCS). Sam Adams had a very tasty imperial stout, but again, not really the whole package. And there was Great Divide Yeti, which was a favorite.

I know the vintage stuff and Chicago-only variants are still very popular there, but no idea if it's just as hyped elsewhere... it's definitely not around here, I could still find a Cafe de Olla or regular BCS in Phoenix for $17.

Don't think I've had any Victory at Sea variants, but the regular stuff is a solid daily drinker.... I know they've fallen off the beer craft enthusiast wagon, but I really need to make it out there and do a San Diego craft beer weekend.
I'd be surprised if there was anywhere near the same hype for BCBS as there was in it's heyday. I can find it in SD very easily - I found a random shitty liquor store with boxes of BCBS and variants back to 2017, and I see it on shelves every year.

SD is definitely a beer destination, and IMHO, one of, if not the best beer cities in the world. If you make it out here, hit me up, and I'll meet up with you if possible. Otherwise, I can certainly give you some tips and must-visits.
[Reply]
Bearcat 06:20 PM 09-19-2021
A little red for SNF.

[Reply]
Bearcat 06:23 PM 09-19-2021
Originally Posted by Shag:
I'd be surprised if there was anywhere near the same hype for BCBS as there was in it's heyday. I can find it in SD very easily - I found a random shitty liquor store with boxes of BCBS and variants back to 2017, and I see it on shelves every year.

SD is definitely a beer destination, and IMHO, one of, if not the best beer cities in the world. If you make it out here, hit me up, and I'll meet up with you if possible. Otherwise, I can certainly give you some tips and must-visits.
Thanks, will let you know if I make it out there.

What are your must-visits? I get Belching Beaver and Ale Smith out here, and of course Ballast Point, so those would all be on my list... plus, would have to stop at Modern Times. Sure I'm missing several that just don't get distributed here.
[Reply]
lewdog 06:45 PM 09-19-2021
A little red for SNF.

That looks like a feminine beer I would love.

Hard to find?
[Reply]
Bearcat 07:12 PM 09-19-2021
Originally Posted by lewdog:
That looks like a feminine beer I would love.

Hard to find?
I bought some in KC, so I'm not sure if it's around here or will make its way here. It's cherry pie filling and it's amazing.
[Reply]
Shag 10:35 AM 09-20-2021
Thanks, will let you know if I make it out there.

What are your must-visits? I get Belching Beaver and Ale Smith out here, and of course Ballast Point, so those would all be on my list... plus, would have to stop at Modern Times. Sure I'm missing several that just don't get distributed here.
Pure Project is my favorite in town, followed by Modern Times. A lot would depend on what part of town you're in, and I tend to prefer smaller breweries, but here are some more good options:
- North Park Brewing Co
- Fall
- Eppig
- Burgeon
- Pizza Port
- Societe
[Reply]
KCUnited 12:54 PM 09-23-2021
A Chicago lunchbreak:

Double Barrel Blantons BCS (left)
Prop '17 (right)
2019 Double Barrel (Elijah Craig) to-go