ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum>How many QBs in the first round?
RedinTexas 08:08 AM 04-24-2024
I ask this question because I'm seeing stuff that indicates that 6 QBs will go in the first round. Bears, Commanders, and Patriots all desperately need QBs and will almost certainly take QBs in the first three picks. However, there are reports that the Raiders are working very hard to trade up into the top 3 picks. One of those teams could make a deal with the Raiders and still leave themselves in a position to pick up a QB.

The problem is that there are only 6 QBs available that are seen as either 1st round picks, or something close to a 1st round pick, while there are potentially 7 teams that will want a QB in the 1st round.

In their draft order:

Bears
Commanders
Patriots
Giants
Vikings
Broncos
Raiders

If all 7 teams have decided they want one of the 6 QBs and are working to position themselves to get one, we have a classic seller's market. The Cardinals at #4 and the Chargers at #5 are perfectly positioned to run auctions for their draft positions and command premium prices. The draft capital they obtain would also allow them also to trade back up and get whoever they might have taken at #4 and #5 anyway.

Either way, the Chiefs still get some benefit out of this because 2 prospects that would otherwise have been taken before the Chiefs pick at #32 will be available. Trading up in the first round might also be more compelling.

So, I ask again, how many QBs will go in the first round and how much of a feeding frenzy will there be to get them?
[Reply]
kccrow 08:37 AM 04-24-2024
4 is a lock. 5 and 6 are wildcards.

Locks:
Williams
Daniels
Maye
McCarthy

Wildcards:
Nix
Penix

I think Nix is going in 1 and higher than people expect (12 to Denver) but that's a personal gut feel on it.
[Reply]
The Franchise 08:45 AM 04-24-2024
Williams goes to the Bears.
Raiders trade with the Commanders and take Daniels.
Patriots draft Maye.
Vikings trade with Chargers and take McCarthy.
Commanders draft Penix.
Broncos trade down and draft Nix in the low teens.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 08:48 AM 04-24-2024
Originally Posted by kccrow:
4 is a lock. 5 and 6 are wildcards.

Locks:
Williams
Daniels
Maye
McCarthy

Wildcards:
Nix
Penix

I think Nix is going in 1 and higher than people expect (12 to Denver) but that's a personal gut feel on it.
I would... not love that.
[Reply]
RedinTexas 08:55 AM 04-24-2024
Originally Posted by The Franchise:
Williams goes to the Bears.
Raiders trade with the Commanders and take Daniels.
Patriots draft Maye.
Vikings trade with Chargers and take McCarthy.
Commanders draft Penix.
Broncos trade down and draft Nix in the low teens.
I did a mock draft simulating much of this, with all 6 QBs going by pick 15 and several OTs fell to us at 32, but WR Thomas was still gone by #20.
[Reply]
Couch-Potato 09:25 AM 04-24-2024
As many as possible.

Please and thank you.
[Reply]
staylor26 09:26 AM 04-24-2024
4 at the very least. I'd say 5, with a small chance at 6.
[Reply]
Dunerdr 10:10 AM 04-24-2024
NOT. ENOUGH.
[Reply]
RedinTexas 10:35 AM 04-24-2024
I just saw Adam Schefter saying the same thing. 6 QBs going in the first round and that demand exceeds supply.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 11:52 AM 04-24-2024
Two reasons:
1) it's been PROVEN that your only chance to beat The Chiefs is to have an elite QB. If you don't have one, you better try anything to get one, and-

2) the 5th year cost control. If said QB ends up not being elite, at least they're cheap while you spend your cap money elsewhere on the roster.
[Reply]
Mecca 12:10 PM 04-24-2024
It's extremely hard for me to think Nix is going round 1, dude is the same age as Trevor Lawrence for a prospect he's old as hell.
[Reply]
staylor26 12:11 PM 04-24-2024
Originally Posted by Mecca:
It's extremely hard for me to think Nix is going round 1, dude is the same age as Trevor Lawrence for a prospect he's old as hell.
Yea, I could buy Penix very easily, but Nix is a hard one for me.
[Reply]
Direckshun 12:12 PM 04-24-2024
I think Penix and Nix go in the 2nd.
[Reply]
Up