ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3304 of 3903
« First < 2304280432043254329433003301330233033304 33053306330733083314335434043804 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
Rain Man 09:44 PM 12-14-2020
Originally Posted by petegz28:
No, it isn't. I hate that analogy. Seatbelts are about driving which is a privilege not a right. There is a significant difference. I appreciate and understand the sentiment but I hate that analogy.
Hey, you know I love you, man. If we could get within six feet I'd bro hug you.

I think the thing that's fascinating about the vaccination reluctance is that it points out the world we live in, which is not necessarily the world that we like to think we live in.

We all like to imagine that we're lions, wandering the plains at will, masters of our destiny and slave to none. It's a noble thought.

But the truth is that we're all house cats. We're domesticated and we have to be. We can't have 7 billion lions wandering the plains because we'll all kill each other. We have to co-exist and respect each others' food dishes and litter boxes.

The way we got here is both proof of that and the result of that. We got to this spot because we're not solo hunter-gatherers any more. People started specializing in what they do well and it provided us all sorts of advantages to do that. Specialization allowed the population to grow beyond what is feasible for lions, but something that is quite comfortable for house cats. I get Dr. Pepper even though I have no idea what's in it because someone else does. I have people who learn to fly Boeing passenger planes so I don't have to. I have people who choreograph showgirl dance numbers for me and others who make racy costumes for them.

There's a price I pay for all of that Dr. Pepper and international travel and scantily clad showgirls. I have to protect and respect the people who make them. So I do things like pay taxes and not shoot guns in the air on New Year's Eve and get vaccinated so I don't kill a bunch of them.

It's not as if we chose to create this world. We were born into it. Short of an imaginative mass genocide plan or interstellar travel, there's no going back from house cat to lion. And the genocide thing has been tried, but no one can win a land war in Asia.

So what do we house cats do? We live comfortably and enjoy our cat treats and we live as good citizens in the society that makes them for us. While we may dream of being lions, and it's a noble dream, we have to behave within the reality that we're house cats and sometimes do what's best for everyone.
[Reply]
stevieray 09:47 PM 12-14-2020
No, it isn't. I hate that analogy. Seatbelts are about driving which is a privilege not a right. There is a significant difference. I appreciate and understand the sentiment but I hate that analogy.
Look at the new motorcycle helmet law in Mo.

It's up to you now.

As it should be.
[Reply]
mr. tegu 09:52 PM 12-14-2020
Originally Posted by IA_Chiefs_fan:
I mostly agree. Although I'll still be a good boy until everyone's had an opportunity to get their vaccine too. Then it's game on!

This is the correct and logical answer. Once the population as a whole has had the opportunity then it’s back to normal. People are craving it and need it financially, emotionally, and mentally. The bar is not a certain percentage vaccinated, it’s opportunity for it and for everyone to have had a chance.
[Reply]
farmerchief 09:56 PM 12-14-2020
And ex-Facebook Exec yesterday said people who get the vaccine should get special masks to wear to let everyone know they got vaccinated. :-)
I thought within the injection is a microchip, which can be detected by cell phones, thus letting you access events and such, and whom to avoid.:-)
[Reply]
Rain Man 09:57 PM 12-14-2020
Originally Posted by DaFace:
It's another area where nuance in discussion would be helpful. I don't expect us to be anywhere near the level of restrictions that we have now by next fall. If vaccination rates are low, though, there might be restrictions on things like large events still. Time will tell.
Originally Posted by IA_Chiefs_fan:
I mostly agree. Although I'll still be a good boy until everyone's had an opportunity to get their vaccine too. Then it's game on!
Yeah, that's the next big question. How do we open back up, and what affects it? I think vaccination rates will certainly be a key factor. If everyone vaxxes up, the natural spread will drop to inconsequential level and we'll go back to wrestling strangers on the street. If the vaccination rates are low, it'll keep the natural spread going, and even with a highly effective virus people will still get the thing. So opening up big crowd events will be slowed or stopped.

I know there's technically a question remaining about whether a vaxxed person can still spread it. I'm assuming here that they won't, because it would be a bummer if they do.
[Reply]
Rain Man 12-14-2020, 09:58 PM
This message has been deleted by Rain Man.
DaFace 10:11 PM 12-14-2020
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
I know there's technically a question remaining about whether a vaxxed person can still spread it. I'm assuming here that they won't, because it would be a bummer if they do.
My take on the idea that people can still be carriers after getting the vaccine is similar to my take on people getting COVID twice. Can it happen? Probably. But it would be pretty different than our previous experiences if it were true for more than fringe cases.
[Reply]
petegz28 10:14 PM 12-14-2020
My take on the idea that people can still be carriers after getting the vaccine is similar to my take on people getting COVID twice. Can it happen? Probably. But it would be pretty different than our previous experiences if it were true for more than fringe cases.
But you're going to wear your mask because possibility vs. probability.....
[Reply]
Rain Man 10:20 PM 12-14-2020
Yeah, I've got to agree on that. That's the logical assumption. It never even occurred to me that a vaxxed spreader was possible until it started getting disccussed.
[Reply]
DaFace 10:23 PM 12-14-2020
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
Yeah, I've got to agree on that. That's the logical assumption. It never even occurred to me that a vaxxed spreader was possible until it started getting disccussed.
I guess, just to be clear, I would assume that the 5% who are unlucky enough to not be immune would be possible carriers. It's the that the other 95% could be spreading it all over the place that seems unlikely to me.
[Reply]
petegz28 10:24 PM 12-14-2020
Originally Posted by Chief Roundup:
Thought it was common knowledge that we are roughtly 18 months from being back to "normal" whatever that is post Covid.
Dr. Siegel had a few choice words for Bill Gates regarding his take on prolonged lockdowns.

It's easy for someone who like Gates to tell everyone else to just lock down and stay home.
[Reply]
Chief Roundup 10:31 PM 12-14-2020
Dr. Siegel had a few choice words for Bill Gates regarding his take on prolonged lockdowns.

It's easy for someone who like Gates to tell everyone else to just lock down and stay home.
I took Gates comments to be about California being that extreme manner. Most of America is not that way now. There is 0 reason to believe we would have to be more stringent than we have been at any point up to this time now that vaccines are starting to roll out.
[Reply]
J Diddy 10:35 PM 12-14-2020
Originally Posted by Chief Roundup:
I took Gates comments to be about California being that extreme manner. Most of America is not that way now. There is 0 reason to believe we would have to be more stringent than we have been at any point up to this time now that vaccines are starting to roll out.
Except that there aren't enough vaccines for everyone and then the booster, deaths are an at all time high and it will take several months for the vaccines to start making a difference.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 01:16 AM 12-15-2020
A Women immigrant from Hungry is the genius behind mRNA. Who’s idea for using mRNA against virus’s cost her jobs at two universities. But, Who’s laughing now?

—————————————————————————

'Redemption': How a scientist's unwavering belief in mRNA gave the world a Covid-19 vaccine

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-h...ave-world/amp/

For Katalin Karikó, vaccine approval is a validation of 40 years of hard work, and opens the door to a new generation of medicines
[Reply]
dlphg9 02:16 AM 12-15-2020
Just because I'm tired of strictly thinking negative. It's amazing to think about all of the good that will come out of COVID-19. We should have some pretty amazing medical advancements and this is good training for if we have another much more dangerous pandemic. I'll be interested in a couple of years from now to see what has come from Covid.
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 06:33 AM 12-15-2020
Remember our initial discussions on reproduction factors back in March. The vaccine doesn't have to prevent even the 95% of people who it is effective on from being carriers. As long as the threshold is greater than what is needed for herd immunity then, at best, only localized outbreaks would occur, but none of them would be large enough to initiate exponential growth.
[Reply]
Page 3304 of 3903
« First < 2304280432043254329433003301330233033304 33053306330733083314335434043804 > Last »
Up