ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3 of 7
< 123 4567 >
Nzoner's Game Room>What's your defensive plan for 2022?
Chris Meck 02:53 PM 10-26-2021
I think we all expect that the trio of Mahomes, Kelce, and Hill will still be a potent group, and that the offense will work itself out to some degree.

There are pieces we need to fit in to be complete, but I think it's also obvious that the defense is the most pressing issue.

so what's your plan?

Can Spags? Who's your hire?

What players are you letting walk, re-sign, what positions are you drafting?

Who do you feel good about rolling with moving forward?
[Reply]
louie aguiar 03:57 PM 10-26-2021
We’re going to have a lot of needs this off-season. It will be tough to address them all. DE is the most obvious need but OT, WR, S, CB will likely also be pretty big needs
[Reply]
New World Order 03:59 PM 10-26-2021
If we're picking 20ish trade down and acquire more picks and try to plug as many holes as we can.
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 04:00 PM 10-26-2021
Fuck this entire defensive staff. Daly especially. Should've known we'd picked up another Belicheck flunkie that has no actual talent for the job.
[Reply]
Coochie liquor 04:33 PM 10-26-2021
I’d be open to keeping Spags another season, but get rid of House, and Daly. Get rid of that albatross contract of Stank Clark, cut Honey Vadger, Nieman, Sorenson, let Ward hit FA and see if he gets a big deal or if he’d come back with a better number.

If we do cut Spags I’d like to see someone like Eric Henderson from the Rams, Ryan Nielsen from the Saints, or Jerry Olsavaky from the Stoolers.
[Reply]
JakeF 04:36 PM 10-26-2021
2 new DE
2 new LB

The best we can get, zero pass rush is killing us. Andy won't fire Spags so we just have to focus on improving our Front-7.

I wouldn't be surprised if Andy Reid retires and publicly endorses Eric Bienemy. I don't want him to be our next HC. Clark might be sort of trapped into giving him a chance though.
[Reply]
Easy 6 04:44 PM 10-26-2021
Originally Posted by -King-:
Dude has more bottom 3 defenses than top 10 defenses. He has 3 top 10 defenses in yards. He has 6 defenses that were ranked 28th or worse. I don't buy the talent thing because neither Fangio nor Sutton have as bad coaching history. Its not like he runs out of talent faster than any other coach.
I'm sure you're throwing in his time with the Rams, where he proved - like sooo many others before, and since him- to be in over his head in the Big Chair

But again, like so many others... you can see that he did well when placed in advantageous positions, with genuine talent to work with

A quick look through his basic history proves him more than capable as a coordinator, those Ram years reeeally put a hurt on his overall record

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Spagnuolo
[Reply]
TEX 04:48 PM 10-26-2021
Originally Posted by JakeF:
2 new DE
2 new LB

The best we can get, zero pass rush is killing us. Andy won't fire Spags so we just have to focus on improving our Front-7.

I wouldn't be surprised if Andy Reid retires and publicly endorses Eric Bienemy. I don't want him to be our next HC. Clark might be sort of trapped into giving him a chance though.
I don't get where all this "Andy Reid requirement" talk comes from.
[Reply]
TribalElder 05:02 PM 10-26-2021
defense is optional right?
[Reply]
Mulliganman 05:08 PM 10-26-2021
Originally Posted by Easy 6:
His scheme worked fine when our big money guys were fully bought in and giving max effort... I would keep Spags and his aggressive tendencies

With the caveat that he is quicker to pull the plug on players who aren't producing, regardless of who they are or how long they've been here

As for personnel, everyone is on the chopping block, no sacred cows... with the possible exception of Jones, I'm still on the fence with him because we cant replace the whole damn defense, and he has the talent to turn things around
Here’s the issue with Jones: you can’t have guys who are supposed to be leaders on that side of the ball not lead by example. The clip of him from the Tits game just waving his arm is inexcusable and how many big games has he sat out of? For damn sure they better move him back to DT and if he doesn’t like it he can GTFO
[Reply]
Mulliganman 05:14 PM 10-26-2021
Originally Posted by louie aguiar:
We’re going to have a lot of needs this off-season. It will be tough to address them all. DE is the most obvious need but OT, WR, S, CB will likely also be pretty big needs
It’s been quite a while back probably before the season about how the team could create a significant amount of cap space. If you’re not signing HB or OB that certainly gives more flexibility. But, we absolutely must hit on that first round pick with someone who’s considered “can’t miss” at a position of need.

I’m of the position too of more mid-range guys at DE and along the defensive line who can get pressure instead of a single stud
[Reply]
Easy 6 05:22 PM 10-26-2021
Originally Posted by Mulliganman:
Here’s the issue with Jones: you can’t have guys who are supposed to be leaders on that side of the ball not lead by example. The clip of him from the Tits game just waving his arm is inexcusable and how many big games has he sat out of? For damn sure they better move him back to DT and if he doesn’t like it he can GTFO
If he doesn't want a permanent move back to DT, trade his ass to the highest bidder... but he is still salvageable IMO, plenty young enough to continue dominating for 3-4 years

Veach just has to figure out if Jones really wants to be here anymore
[Reply]
JohnnyHammersticks 05:23 PM 10-26-2021
I'd start by saying adios to:

Clark
Hitchens
Okafor
Reed
Mathieu
[Reply]
Chris Meck 05:23 PM 10-26-2021
IF-just saying IF

KC were to fire Spags and hire a Fangio or a Fangio disciple and install a 3-4 base...

You've got Jones who could play 3 or 5 tech. Wharton has the size to play those spots as well. Saunders at 324 has the size to play nose. Bolton would perhaps be best as a 3-4 ILB. Gay would be fine there as well. S and CB is basically the same.

Other than Jones up front I'm not comfortable with Saunders or Wharton just as your starting d-line.

And you've got zero OLB'ers. So you need at minimum one bonafide starter on the line and a draft pick/depth guy. And you need two OLB/rushbackers.

IF you stay in the 4-3, you need at minimum two proper DE's, and at least one solid veteran LB.

so other than schematic advantages, which are subjective, it comes down to what do you think is harder to find?

4-3 ends who are big and strong enough to hold the edge, yet get to the passer? Or 3-4 OLB'ers who can rush the passer, hold outside contain, and occasionally cover some?

It does seem like more of the pass rushers coming out of college are lighter, faster, and less able to be 4-3 ends. Might be easier. I don't know. Spitballing.
[Reply]
Mulliganman 05:26 PM 10-26-2021
Originally Posted by Easy 6:
If he doesn't want a permanent move back to DT, trade his ass to the highest bidder... but he is still salvageable IMO, plenty young enough to continue dominating for 3-4 years

Veach just has to figure out if Jones really wants to be here anymore
Exactly. But has Jones ever showed to lead by example and motivated internally to live up to his talent and not just motivated by $$$$
[Reply]
RustShack 05:38 PM 10-26-2021
Draft McDonald at DE from Iowa State.

Switch to Iowa States 3-3-3 defense that a lot of college and NFL teams have picked up on. 3 DL, 3 LB, 3 safety(one of which is kind of a hybrid LB/CB). 4-2-3 also used a bit.
[Reply]
Page 3 of 7
< 123 4567 >
Up