ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum>2024 Cap Space: Where We Rank
Direckshun 10:49 AM 06-01-2023
2024 is going to be an exciting offseason for the Chiefs, compared to the last two.

1. Patriots: $123m
2. Texans: $119m
3. Bears: $97m
4. Titans: $94m
5. Commanders: $83m
6. Colts: $78m
7. Lions: $66m
8. Bengals: $60m
9. Giants: $59m
10. Panthers: $56m
11. Rams: $54m
12. Chiefs: $52m
13. Cardinals: $51m
14. Raiders: $47m
15. Vikings: $42m
16. Falcons: $39m
17. Buccaneers: $32m
18. Eagles: $27m
19. Jaguars: $25m
20. Cowboys: $24m
21. Seahawks: $24m
22. Packers: $24m
23. Ravens: $22m
24. Steelers: $19m
25. 49ers: -$13m
26. Bills: -$14m
27. Broncos: -$15m
28. Dolphins: -$31m
29. Jets: -$51m
30. Chargers: -$60m
31. Browns: -$61m
32. Saints: -$62m

Arranged by tier:

CONTENDERS:
Bengals: $60m
Chiefs: $52m
Eagles: $27m
Bills: -$14m

ON THE FRINGE:
Titans: $94m
Lions: $66m
Jaguars: $25m
Ravens: $22m
Steelers: $19m
49ers: -$13m
Dolphins: -$31m
Jets: -$51m
Chargers: -$60m

MEH:
Patriots: $123m
Commanders: $83m
Giants: $59m
Vikings: $42m
Cowboys: $24m
Seahawks: $24m
Packers: $24m
Broncos: -$15m

LOWER TIER:
Texans: $119m
Bears: $97m
Colts: $78m
Raiders: $47m
Falcons: $39m
Browns: -$61m
Saints: -$62m

GARBAGE:
Panthers: $56m
Rams: $54m
Cardinals: $51m
Buccaneers: $32m
[Reply]
Direckshun 10:53 AM 06-01-2023
Lots of observations here.

The Eagles may actually have the best cap situation of the contenders in 2024. Between now and then, Burrow and Chase will be extended, essentially swallowing up that cap space. The Chiefs are more likely to extend Chris Jones than not. Both of those teams are likely to be below $30m by the time the cap is over.

The Titans are the team most poised for a leap next year, especially if Levis somehow works out. The Lions, maybe, as well.

There are a couple really good teams that are up against either a cap crunch (Bills, 49ers, Dolphins). What are they going to do? Eat their vegetables, or push it off a year? Because there are a couple teams facing absolute cap collapses, and the Chargers are at the very top of that list, because they wouldn't eat their vegetables. Keep in mind, their -$60m cap number is before they extend Justin Herbert.

The Jets are not facing a cap collapse, however. Rodgers' contract gives him a $107m cap number, which they will almost certainly restructure and extend. They are facing a cap crunch, however.

There may not be two more hopeless teams in the NFL right now than the Browns and the Saints.
[Reply]
Nightfyre 12:31 PM 06-01-2023
There is going to be a ton of money chasing the 2024 FA class. There are going to be some enormous deals that are likely to reshape contract expectations across every position group.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 01:21 PM 06-01-2023
Originally Posted by Nightfyre:
There is going to be a ton of money chasing the 2024 FA class. There are going to be some enormous deals that are likely to reshape contract expectations across every position group.
Which is why, if we intend to extend Jones or Sneed, we need to get on that shit sooner rather than later.

I expect they'll let Gay walk unless he really stands out this season, but you gotta figure Jones and Sneed are priority guys, especially if they don't get a Hopkins deal done that would push money out into 2024.

Jones, Sneed, Tranquill, Donovan Smith, Willie Gay and Mike Danna appear to be the only real pending FAs of note that we have. The rest of the guys we might lose are fairly fungible (yes, I'm including Tommy Townsend in the fungible group).

As far as interesting outside FAs are concerned, Leonard Williams, Mike Evans, Trey Hendrickson, Carl Lawson, DJ Reader, Tyler Boyd, Nick Bosa, Josh Allen, Brian Burns, Patrick Queen and a few others will be available but honestly I'm just not all that fired up about big money FAs from other organizations.

So get our guys extended and enter next season ready to rip.
[Reply]
ntexascardfan 02:07 PM 06-01-2023
I assume our entire cap will be eaten again next year by paying out Super Bowl bonuses.
[Reply]
kozzman555 05:35 PM 06-01-2023
Why is this in the draft forum?
[Reply]
O.city 06:57 AM 06-02-2023
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
Which is why, if we intend to extend Jones or Sneed, we need to get on that shit sooner rather than later.

I expect they'll let Gay walk unless he really stands out this season, but you gotta figure Jones and Sneed are priority guys, especially if they don't get a Hopkins deal done that would push money out into 2024.

Jones, Sneed, Tranquill, Donovan Smith, Willie Gay and Mike Danna appear to be the only real pending FAs of note that we have. The rest of the guys we might lose are fairly fungible (yes, I'm including Tommy Townsend in the fungible group).

As far as interesting outside FAs are concerned, Leonard Williams, Mike Evans, Trey Hendrickson, Carl Lawson, DJ Reader, Tyler Boyd, Nick Bosa, Josh Allen, Brian Burns, Patrick Queen and a few others will be available but honestly I'm just not all that fired up about big money FAs from other organizations.

I think you just keep dipping your toes in like they did with Omenihu and Reid right?

Pick around the edges, keep some powder dry if for instance, negotiations went bad with the Cowboys and Parsons or the 9ers and Bosa etc.
[Reply]
Nightfyre 09:26 AM 06-02-2023
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:

DJ Reader with Chris Jones inside? Sign me up for about 3-4 years of that. Get 'er done Veach!
[Reply]
Up