ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 358 of 3903
« First < 258308348354355356357358 3593603613623684084588581358 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
Fish 09:45 AM 03-17-2020
Originally Posted by BWillie:
I'm wondering if it is safe to eat take-out. I don't know if I can do this cooking shit much longer being someone who is used to eating out every single meal.

Take out from Chipotle, Panda, maybe Longhorn, Outback shit like that. Just hoping the workers are taking proper precautions when they are preparing the meal.
Damn, man. Take this opportunity to learn how to do some cooking. You might find it quite enjoyable. I do. You'll save a lot of money too.
[Reply]
mr. tegu 09:46 AM 03-17-2020
I'm wondering if it is safe to eat take-out. I don't know if I can do this cooking shit much longer being someone who is used to eating out every single meal.

Take out from Chipotle, Panda, maybe Longhorn, Outback shit like that. Just hoping the workers are taking proper precautions when they are preparing the meal.

No less safe than normal. Three months ago you simply had to hope the same things.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 09:46 AM 03-17-2020
Originally Posted by DaFace:
I think this states my opinion about it well:

My worry is how quickly this overton window is shifting and how obviously that kind of thinking yields an even faster shift.

We have people in this very thread advocating martial law. Literal boots on the ground and ordering people back into their homes (and folks, the implication in that is gunpoint because how else does one compel adherence in a situation that dire?)

And it's worse on social media. People requesting genuinely authoritarian measures. And the problem with that is you have maybe 4-6 weeks of runway before this population (which is absolutely more defiant of...everyone...than pretty much any population in the world) looks around and says "y'know what, 80% of us aren't going to be impacted by this at all and we suddenly have troops in the streets ordering us into our homes? Fuck. This."

We can't just say "there's no such things as 'too much'" because it ignores the relatively near-term consequences. People will burn out on it. At that point you have one of 2 outcomes - people start ignoring directives outright or those directives becomes more and more harshly enforced (the former being more likely than the latter, which could easily serve to do more harm than good and simply push your 'spike' out a month or so).

Yes, you CAN do too much here. And to sit there and say "oh well, if it turns out we overreacted I guess we'll never know..." is to preemptively insulate yourself from ANY criticisms for decisions made that absolutely could've been hugely damaging to this nation. When concede that type of thinking, it gives decision-makers a pass and again, leads to the decision-lens ratcheting in only a single direction, towards ever increasing draconian measures. The overton window just continues to slide and slide and slide until 'normal' is "well at least they aren't making us execute our pets like Chernobyl. This is fine...."

I'm not saying that we shouldn't err on the side of caution, but we damn sure shouldn't just accept leaders going out there and saying "if we overreact...oh well...."

That's not acceptable either.
[Reply]
PAChiefsGuy 09:47 AM 03-17-2020
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
My worry is how quickly this overton window is shifting and how obviously that kind of thinking yields an even faster shift.

We have people in this very thread advocating martial law. Literal boots on the ground and ordering people back into their homes (and folks, the implication in that is gunpoint because how else does one compel adherence in a situation that dire?)

And it's worse on social media. People requesting genuinely authoritarian measures. And the problem with that is you have maybe 4-6 weeks of runway before this population (which is absolutely more defiant of...everyone...than pretty much any population in the world) looks around and says "y'know what, 80% of us aren't going to be impacted by this at all and we suddenly have troops in the streets ordering us into our homes? ****. This."

We can't just say "there's no such things as 'too much'" because it ignores the relatively near-term consequences. People will burn out on it. Yes, you CAN do too much here. And to sit there and say "oh well, if it turns out we overreacted I guess we'll never know..." is to pre-emptively insulate yourself from ANY criticisms for decisions made that absolutely could've been hugely damaging to this nation. When concede that type of thinking, it gives decisionmakers a pass and again, leads to the decision-lens ratcheting in only a single direction, towards ever increasing draconion measures. The overton window just continues to slide and slide and slide until 'normal' is "well at least they aren't making us execute our pets like Chernobyl. This is fine...."

I'm not saying that we should err on the side of caution, but we damn sure shouldn't just accept leaders going out there and saying "if we overreact...oh well...."

That's not acceptable either.
Who on here advocated martial law?

I don't see how shutting down certain businesses that are not essential to human survival is not worth saving lives. But hey if you think getting drunk and partying at bars and restaurants is more important than saving people's lives and stopping the spread of the virus then maybe your priorities are a little off to say the least.
[Reply]
Donger 09:47 AM 03-17-2020
I've got a colleague under state-imposed self-quarantine right now because she got McDonald's drive thru and the guy ended up with COVID-19. Luckily, she's a freak and bathes in hand sanitizer.
[Reply]
FloridaMan88 09:49 AM 03-17-2020
At my voting precinct in Miami they had to call an ambulance to help a lady who fell after slipping on spilled hand sanitizer.

Hilarious.
[Reply]
BWillie 09:50 AM 03-17-2020
Originally Posted by Fish:
Damn, man. Take this opportunity to learn how to do some cooking. You might find it quite enjoyable. I do. You'll save a lot of money too.
I've tried. I used to do more cooking when I was poor college student and I hated it. I hated the dishes. I hated the time it took to prepare things. The time I had to go to the store. Some things you can't store for more than a week or it goes bad. Once I started eating out every meal, it liberated my mind & psyche. I highly recommend never cooking, never ever.
[Reply]
O.city 09:50 AM 03-17-2020
Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower:
You would be surprised. Especially if you're a cash payer.
Originally Posted by Rausch:
I can't imagine dentists are begging to go to work either...
Originally Posted by Rausch:
What the hell do they do? They have no choice but be all up in your face and mouth with slobber everywhere...
Uh, yeah. It's not ideal. But we deal with shit all the time. We follow strict infection control all the time regardless.

Just doing screening and not seeing any sick obviously right now. Probably gonna have to close for a few weeks.
[Reply]
stumppy 09:51 AM 03-17-2020
I don't quite understand it either. Germany is also very old in population, albeit not quite as old as Italy. Also Japan is the oldest avg age population in the world. They aren't really even testing people much, like us, and they don't seem to be having terrible results yet. Perhaps they are just ignoring it and it's about to blow up.
Probably because way before Corona a lot of them wore masks all the time when out in public.
[Reply]
penguinz 09:51 AM 03-17-2020
Originally Posted by KCChiefsFan88:
At my voting precinct in Miami they had to call an ambulance to help a lady who fell after slipping on spilled hand sanitizer.

Hilarious.
Real hilarious. You have proven to be a shit human being.
[Reply]
FloridaMan88 09:52 AM 03-17-2020
Originally Posted by penguinz:
Real hilarious. You have proven to be a shit human being.
Lighten up, the woman was fine.
[Reply]
Marcellus 09:57 AM 03-17-2020
I've tried. I used to do more cooking when I was poor college student and I hated it. I hated the dishes. I hated the time it took to prepare things. The time I had to go to the store. Some things you can't store for more than a week or it goes bad. Once I started eating out every meal, it liberated my mind & psyche. I highly recommend never cooking, never ever.
"B" Stand for "Big"?
[Reply]
Rain Man 09:57 AM 03-17-2020

Denver's restaurants are now closed for eight weeks to dine-in, but they're open for takeout. If you consider the risks of 30 seconds of takeout contact versus being in a grocery store for 30 minutes, takeout might actually be more secure. But dump the food out of the wrappers and containers before you eat.

At least, that's my thinking. Maybe I'm wrong, but the wife and I decided that we'd go do takeout on occasion during the eight weeks.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 09:57 AM 03-17-2020
Originally Posted by PAChiefsGuy:
Who on here advocated martial law?
5300 posts brother - I ain't finding 'em all.

But I know oakland hater has and a couple other people have responded to suggestions of 'a national lockdown' with some version of 'extreme times, extreme measures...' If you don't believe there are several people in this thread (and honestly, I'm sure you're one of them) who are calling for martial law without realizing that's what they're calling for, I don't know what to tell you.

Again I ask you - what do you believe a 'national lockdown' is? A federally mandated, federally enforced edict from the government ordering you to stay in your homes.

Do you think the federal government has police powers? Don't answer, I'll just tell you - they don't. The Constitution does not grant the Federal Government the right to patrol the streets enforcing measures for the public health. That is specifically reserved to the states and that order (or enforcement) cannot by law come from on high. In order for the federal government to actively involve itself, they effectively HAVE to declare martial law.

If you can find a mechanism to enforce a national shutdown WITHOUT the imposition of martial law, I'd like to hear it. Within the boundaries of our Constitution, the most the federal government can do is encourage states to do it on their own (though they could tie federal aid to it if they wanted). If they attempt to do more than that, they would essentially have to suspend the Constitution.
[Reply]
ModSocks 09:59 AM 03-17-2020
Cut up some onion and bellpeper. Season with pepper and garlic salt. Saute it in olive oil until the onions are nice and translucent. Drain.

Boil your Ramen noodles and drain. Combine your onion/bellpepper, ramen seasoning and enjoy your new "elevated" Top Ramen.
[Reply]
Page 358 of 3903
« First < 258308348354355356357358 3593603613623684084588581358 > Last »
Up